Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

QUESTION
An_252307 posted:
havent seen my therapist since my first appointment. and i feel like its because i wasnt ready to talk about everything that was bothering me..and my pride got in the way.. i wasnt rseady to accept my depression. has this ever happened to anyone. i mean im ready now but i dont think i can talk every week for 40 mins .. digging deep opens alot of gateways that i want to forget.

meow0730 responded:
I know what you mean. Sometimes I can talk about it and other times I just want to pretend that I'm normal and nothing's wrong. I think it's because of the way I was raised. My mom's attitude was always "snap out of it and stop feeling sorry for yourself". She's different now, but there's always that feeling that I shouldn't talk about it. And talking about it can have consequences. Friends decide you're too gloomy and they don't want to hang out with you. I've never been to a therapist but I can't really imagine talking about my depression for 40 minutes a week. I mean, I'm convinced that my depression (I don't know about yours) is purely chemical and not related to anything I can talk out.

An_252307 replied to meow0730's response:
I know exactly what you mean about being raised with a mother like that my moms the same way sometimes i hate it because it would help just to talk to her but instead i have to fake a smile around her we never had a close bond and this doesnt help.
as for the depression i think mine is triggered chemically but also by my past i have grown up knowing too much for my own good messed up relationships and just a bunch of craziness. so talking for 40 mins a week makes it worse because i just want to forget .. this website helps alot tho speaking ur mind and letting it out.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.