Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Occasional complete callousness
An_252518 posted:
I'm generally seen as a very loving, open and honest person, but sometimes (about maybe 10 to 20 times a year) I feel my emotions turn completely off. I just won't feel anything, good or bad. I've tried to notice if these episodes were triggered by some similar emotional situations or events, but there aren't any obvious patterns. In my journals from when I was young (middle school), I wrote often about not having emotions. By high school, I had resolved to live my life without emotions.

When I got to college and experimented with drugs, I had experiences of euphoria and afterwards, I began to feel regularly. Now I'm married, and I love my husband very much. He suffers from bipolar disorder and I'm usually very patient and kind to him. But every once in a while, I suffer one of these episodes of callousness and I don't feel anything for him or for anyone else. It feels like a light switch just turning off my emotions.

I haven't suffered any major traumas that I can remember. Is this a form of sociopathy or is something else going on? I do have some hormonal issues with depression. Not sure if related or not. Any advice or guidance would be helpful. I know a psychiatrist would be the best option here but I'm very poor and don't have insurance. Thanks!

jackiedev responded:
suffer from depression and i always feels disconnected from my emotions. so i know what u meani doubt its sociopathy from what i read it could be borderline personality. which sometimes i feel like i have as well.. i havent gone back to see my psychiatrist so im not sure but my best bet is you try and get insurance like medicaid if ur financially npot able to get other insurance .. fknowing is better than not knowing and they can give u meds to help u deal with ur problem it could be a chemical imbalance as well

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Bringing Peace Back to the Holiday Season Through Mindfulness
http://ezinearticles.com/?Bringing-Peace-Back-to-the-Holiday-Season-Through-Mindfulness&id=8165694 More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.