Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

antidepressant drugs
DennistheMenacew posted:
I have been depressed on and off for seven years ever since my wife asked me for a divorce. It was so difficult to leave a family of seven children. I started counseling and was put on Effexor and Klonopin for anxiety. I fear going off these drugs as I suffer too from panic and phobias. My health was told effects my visitation. Anyway just wanted to bring up what would happen if I went off the drugs since I been on them so long. I fear I will have a letdown .

Mom5974 responded:
I've struggled with depression all my life, and I advocate for the proper and appropriate use of antidepressants. I think you should talk to your Doc before taking yourself off meds. I'm not familar with Klonopin, but I just recently got off Effexor because of some serious side effects. It was tough, and I had to be weaned off and find something that could replace it.

itmatsb responded:
I don't understand why you are even talking about going off your medications. Haven't they helped you? If not, you should tell your doctor to make adjustments to them or try another medication. After being depressed off and on for 7 years, you now have a history of long term depression, which means that you are more likely to have depression if you go off of your meds. How long have you been taking them?

Why would you risk your visitation with your children? I also don't understand what you mean that your health affects your visitation.

I am currently on the same 2 meds, except I am taking the upgraded version of Effexor, called Pristiq. I know that I need to stay on them for the rest of my life. Many millions of people are taking anti-depressants in this country. The U.S.

What are the negatives with you taking medication? I think that your fears are well founded. Stay on them, unless your doctor thinks that you are all better. But then you will likely have a very difficult withdrawal time period which can last for months. You take care and appreciate that you have children in your life. Even if they don't live with you, they still need and love you. You are very fortunate.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.