Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Dr. S: Dreams making depression worse at times--is this common?
Anon_963 posted:
My therapist said dreams are 'just that' and I need to learn to say 'it was just a dream'. Because I'm 'obsessive--without being compulsive', she said I let them trouble me more than most people would--other than those who, like me 'obsess' over things to an abnormal extent.

I don't always remember the dreams--but excerpts 'pop up' sometimes during the next day and make me think--'why would I dream anything like that' or what does a crazy dream like that mean?

Due to a physical condition that has not eased for a very long time, and is treated with low dose 'valium', and occasional 1/2 dose of the lowest dose of Xanax for the anxiety this causes, I wonder if it and meds for high b/p and A-fib can add to the dreams?
This brings on even more depression and some days really badly. I did see a Psychiatrist--now just a therapist and she has helped me alot but I still deal with dreams and intrusive thoughts that bother me and wonder if the drugs are adding to this?
I can't tolerate anti-depressants--and I've tried basically all of them.

Do deep breathing, Alot of praying--have a deep faith, and try to keep busy--but 'boy', some days are so hard and then others I do fine.

Is this common with depression and can it at some point just go away? It really didn't start bothering me until this physical ailment that has reduced my quality of life--alot--came on about 5 years ago and has gotten worse. I still keep going, am female in mid 70's--with lots of blessings. Any suggestions? thanks

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Are you having posting problems?
With all the posting/not posting problems, try these: 1. Copy your post/response BEFORE clicking on "post" 2. If the "can't post now" ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.