Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Effexor / Venlaflexine
SuzianStar posted:
Avoid taking this medication if at all possible. The side effects and withdrawal symptoms are awful. If you miss a dose or two at any time you can count on a massive onslaught of some of the worst depression and crying episodes imaginable. My side effects and withdrawal symptoms include: inability to finish a sentence, long pauses while waiting for my brain to provide the word I'm searching for, dizziness, numbness in lips and hands, chirping in my ear (tinnitus), extreme depression and sadness when a dose is missed or when going through a withdrawal of the medication. I am currently going through the process of weening off it - it is an addictive drug that creates a physical dependency and INCREASES the intensity of depressive symptoms. There are better drugs out there - avoid this one and do your research. I wish I would have - this is absolutely awful. I can't believe it is on the market with all the side effects and withdrawal symptoms it has. The bad outweighs the good for me.
Was this Helpful?
6 of 7 found this helpful

mickey48oh responded:
How are you doing it I have gotten myself off of 75mg but still have 75 to go and it is just as you say awlful I feel like I am in bondage on this medication ca anyone help? effexor/ venfalxine

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hi- I am sorry to hear your problems with this drug. There are 3 or 4 meds with this kind of withdrawal profile... I have also seen many patients have zero of these issues and be cured.. So every drug works differently for different folks. SOmetimes to get off Effexor, PAxil, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Pristiq, I will put my patients on low dose prozac their drug for a few weeks, then remove their drug, leaving prozac in place. Eventually I take the prozac away. It is a good detox for this situation for some of my patients

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

more to bipolar treatments
I'm bipolar and just went through what I could find in WebMD for this. I noticed a piece is missing. In addition to medication and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.