Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Ways to help depression
rohvannyn posted:
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if we all share what we know?

Things that have worked for me:

Listening to music, preferably intense, upbeat music with passion in it

Deep breathing

Exercise such as walks or weight lifting (especially with the music)

Distractions such as gaming or reading

Mindfullness meditation

Making sure I have enough healthy fat, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidents in my diet

Caring for others, petting a cat, posting on forums

Making a gratitude list

St. John's Wort and other supplements

Watching a good movie

A nice hot cup of tea

Basically anything to distract me from my inner problems and refocus me to other things. You know what they say, "what you feed, grows."
Was this Helpful?
32 of 34 found this helpful

rohvannyn responded:
No more suggestions? Okay, here's another I thought of:

A good way to help yourself feel better is to come on to a place like this and answer other people's questions. Even if you don't have advice, it is still helpful to let them know they aren't alone. It will help you remember that you are not alone, too. The key to all of this is shifting your focus from dwelling on the struggle inside you, to focusing on the outside world.

sittingbull594 replied to rohvannyn's response:
yes that is a really good idea this post rohvannyn.

I think getting out of ourselves and responding here is a great idea.

I only hope that I can start to betterly do this stuff. I have had a lot of therapy and so I know I need to concentrate on activation. Activation is key in depression. I've been doing better the last week until today.
I did a couple things in the office and then have been spinning my wheels.

reading your suggestions tho help. if nothing else I can take a small step to trying on eof them. I did get out of the house and bought me a starbucks and dropped off mail at the po.

Getting out of my house sometimes to a different environment helps and I had forgotten about that.

An_253014 responded:
very nice

rohvannyn replied to An_253014's response:
Gratitude lists can sometimes help. A list of things we are thankful for can help shift the focus from the bad to the good. Worried about having an unbalanced attitude, as I often am? Remember that acknowledging the good along with the bad is part of that balance.

rohvannyn responded:
I found some great tips from other posters, I hope nobody minds if I include them in this list.

SharonNVirginia said: 1) Pray for other peoples' worse problems. When you hear about someone who situation is manifestly worse than yours, pray for the Lord to bless that person.

2)Get outside in nature every day. Walk briskly. Examine and appreciate nature around you in all its forms.

3)Volunteer. I have volunteered with a program which cares for autistic children so their parents can have an afternoon with their other kids.

4)Watch your input. Self-talk can make depression better or worse. If you catch yourself saying "Nobody loves me". Turn it around. "I'm not willing to settle or to be someone I'm not just to have a man." Many, many people who are married with children know that they have made a huge mistake. Keep a written list of things you are proud of and refer to it when you lapse into negative self-talk.

5) Use daily, monthly and yearly checklists. At my most depressed I have used lists reminding me to brush my teeth, take a shower and do my daily Bible reading. When you are really down, just checking an item off can give you a shot of positive brain chemicals.

6) Set achievable goals and use #5 to achieve them. Any big item can be broken down into small items which are achievable. I had a huge house full of clutter which I needed to clean up to get on the market. I started with big items. Clean out basement. Then reduced it to smaller items. like fill a trash bag a day. Fill a box for charity a day. Pack a box for storage a day. It took me 10 months. The sense of achievement carried me through a very traumatic period.

7)Be honest with people about what you are facing. The ones who are positive and helpful you will continue to be honest with. The other ones are not really intimate friends because they LACK compassion or comprehension. Engage in euphemistic small talk with them "Oh, I'm fine-I was just down for a while." Ask the supportive ones not to gossip about you. Drop immediately anyone who isn't going to at least not harm you.

8)Don't let your insurance coverage determine your treatment. Sell stuff if you have to. Contact local government and ask for resources. Ask your pharmacy if they have a program to help. Pharmaceutical companies GIVE meds to free clinics. Remember depression is a disease. It is an imbalance in your brain chemicals caused by the intersection of your genes and your stress level. Not everyone realizes this yet. Don't let that stop you. Find people who understand, are sympathetic and will help. And Overlord43 said (starting at 2 because 1 was specific to the person): 2. Exercise everyday that you can
3. Insurance may not cover therapy but if you can find a god one it might be worth it to spring for one session yourself. They could certainly help on suggestions for new meds or support groups
4. See if your insurance Company covers TMS Transcrainial magnetic stimulation. Look up NYT article on the subject from five weeks ago.
5. Consider getting a roommate, forces you to deal with people and can widen your social circle.
6. Yes, staying in bed with the phone and computer off will save on your utility bills but is sure to keep you on the Lonely category. It doesn't sound like no one wants to be around you but your depression is making you choose the wrong ones. Perhaps a short e-mail a day just to say hi to someone who is not married or has kids.
7. Today I decided to stop calling a so called friend who has been treating me poorly. It's kind of empowering. Try putting names of loser friends on scraps of paper put them in a hat and choose one not to call anymore. (I just thought that up by the way)

walks replied to rohvannyn's response:
you have listed great workable action solutions.
  • Action I think is key for me ..to get back on track, to get moving in a positive dirrection.
One item i did not see, but I have discovered that over time has been a great help to me, is ...Journaling.
Years ago I gave it a try but failed.looking back I realized my problem was that I was trying to copy someone elses' style of writing.
I've read the book "The Artists Way" by Julia Cameron,after reading that book, I gave my self permission to write however ,what ever I wanted.I 've found that the process of writing slows my thinking and hence my mind down and I think that process also carries into my essence of my character.

Every one of your tips are important and useful to daily living.

rohvannyn replied to walks's response:
That's an awesome suggestion and something I need to do more, myself. I love those blank books for journaling because you can then write any which way you want, doodle things, and not be limited by liines. It can be helpful for more artistic types. That's it... I'm getting me a new sketch book! Thanks for the inspiration!

rohvannyn replied to rohvannyn's response:
I'm replying to this so it stays accessible. There are some great suggestions from others in this thread and it would be great to see more.

solonely replied to rohvannyn's response:
yes it helps to know you are not alone; many sufferers out there

jim531 responded:
For me its all about keeping my serotonin level up. The two most powerful natural antidepressants are the sunlight and lots of aerobic exercise such as running, biking, and swimming. I try to get as much sunlight as possible and when I can't, I use indoor light therapy. Fortunately I have a passion for running and biking and I exercise 6 days a week. These things should be enough for mild depression. For more severe depression, adding an antidepressant may be necessary.

rohvannyn replied to jim531's response:
I'm bumping this in case it helps Snflwr.

rohvannyn responded:
I have a new part to this but it's a toughie. I'm a long way from mastering it.

Basically, it's this: internalize the idea that you always have a choice in how you react to everything, that is the one choice that can never be taken away from you.

The problem is, many of us (myself included) convince ourselves that we don't have a choice in how to respond to something. Our neurotransmitters may be misfiring, or we may be really depressed, or any number of things... but as long as we have physical control over ourselves, we can always choose how to react.

We always have some kind of choice. Once we remind ourselves of this, we start to look for ways in which we have options, and we start seeing those options. Your eyes and mind will find what you are expecting. If you expect powerlessness, you will find it. If you expect choice, you will make it.

It's hard and scary to have responsibility but for me it might be the only way out of depression.

obxgmagpa replied to rohvannyn's response:
Hello, I have been dealing with depression for many years and felt like I had overcome it until lately. I came to webmd just to se why clonazepam isn't working for me anymore, but I saw your post and signed up for account. I liked your ideals to help others on things they could do to help their own depression.

I just wanted to say "thank you"

Sue

rohvannyn replied to obxgmagpa's response:
Welcome to the site! It's awesome that you joined us. Together, we can all help each other more than any medication. We are stronger together than apart.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.