Skip to content


Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

An_202971 posted:
I have a student who is depressed. He has abandonment issues and the death of his mother last summer sent him into a tail spin. He has run away from school, but more commonly, he acts outs, hurts others, and does not handle disappointment well. He will cry and scream.

I would love to have some suggestions as to how to approach this 7 year old so that he finds school a safe place, and can perhaps forget some of the trauma that has happened in his life.

Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful
susiemargaret responded:
hello, A134 --

i think it is unrealistic that you can expect this child to forget the traumas that he has endured, but i think your goal of having him feel that school is a safe place is a very reasonable one. you are obviously a very kind and loving teacher.

how does the school handle other children who act out? i'm assuming that you have talked with the school guidance counselor?

is his father in the picture? is there a chance that the father would allow the child to see a child psychiatrist?

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.