Skip to content
My Sugar was OVER 600 This Morning
lil1407 posted:
Hello This is Christina. I woke up and tested my glucose this morning and it was OVER 600!!! I don't know why. I did not eat anything with sugar yesterday.. But I was really stressed out. I probably should have went to the Hospital, But I didn't tell anyone. Should I be scared when It's that HIGH? At what point would I need to go to the Hospital? :crying: :sad: :chagrin:

dgarner11 responded:
well, if I went to the hospital every time my blood sugar was that high I would be there all the time lol seriously though, have you been able to get it back down? As long as you can get it down and drink lots and lots of water you should be ok. Test for ketones and if they are "large" monitor that as well. If your sugar and ketones remain high, that would require a trip to the hospital.

iremom1 responded:
Christina yes 600 if a number to cause you great alarm. It is imperative you do not keep such information secret. With such a high number , as you have probably noticed, your ability to think clearly is impaired. Once you start considering ER it is time to go or at the very least put a call into your MD or a friend or family member who will keep alert until your numbers drop. DKA (diabetic keto acidosis)is DANGEROUS and it does kill. You said you ate no sugars, did you eat only fats and proteins then? Remember all foods (except fats and proteins) are carbohydrates-- which once consumed are converted into sugar. So, fruits ,vegetables, milk products, pasta, breads etc are sugars. The danger is you don't know how the 600 happend that needs to be answered or next time who knows. There are many resourses to help such as support groups. Contact a local hospital for referrals and get to know other diabetics locally they could share information to help you avoid another 600. That sort of number should NEVER happen. They can be avoided totally.

abcat2000 responded:
I guess you know it does not take sugar to get it that high; an overload of any carbohydrate can do it too. If you donot do this, I would check it right before you go to bed, and about 2 or 3 in the morning too for awhile. It's a pain, but better than getting sick. That way, you will get a better idea of what your normal blood sugar pattern is. .

smip responded:
You should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER not tell anyone that your glucose is that high. You should ALWAYS go to the ER of your glucose is 400+ That was a very dangerous thing.

dennistredden responded:
600 is a very dangerous stage. You should never go it alone. Even if someone calls and checks on you. You need that chance to live some times. We're you feeling good or bad at that number. That tells alot.

SweetHarley responded:
Lots of opinions on this, so I thought I would throw mine in. The REASON your blood sugar is so high should be one basis to determining if you need to go to the ER. If you forgot to take your insulin before a big meal or haven't taken a shot for a while (if on syringes) is no reason to go to the ER. Take the insulin and check your glucose every hour until it's back in range. However, if you can't explain why it's high -- CALL A DOCTOR. Another basis is how you feel at that reading. If you feel "generally" OK, the cause may be human error. However, if you have symptoms from another disease (flu, cold, etc.), you may need to get help. I know that my glucose readings are a pretty good indicator of illness BEFORE symptoms arise. If my glucose readings go up for no reason, I know I'm getting sick. I adjust my insulin to meet the new needs and get a head start on fluids and rest. In any case, let people around you know what's going on. That way, if something happens, they can call 911. (And no crying!)

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.