Skip to content
feet feel like on fire..Help please
lisaiowa36 posted:
I was told last week after test for Peripheral Neuropathy in my feet, legs , hands and back that I have moderate damage in feet and legs and its starting in hands. The Neurologist also did a sleep study I will get more answers and treatment plans this Wed. I was wondering what else I can do tonight my feet are really bothering me they feel like they are on fire. I have trying foot cream for diabetic feet Peripheral Neuropathy pain and darvocet. Neither are working. any suggestions would be great.. thanks Lisa

Hootyowl2 responded:
Hi Lisa, I have it in my legs and feet also... It sure does hurt like heck at times, especially when one is trying to sleep. Probably your neuro will RX something for you this week, but be sure and remind him/her. There are different medicines you can try, and you will have to experiment to see what doses work for you... My feet are hurting too right now... I am on Lyrica 300 mgs 2x a day, and Cymbalta 90 mgs a day for it... It maybe works about 50 to 60 % ? Not enough... They also do double duty, the Lyrica for my partial complex seizures, and the Cymbalta for depression. They do okay for those, but the Lyrica is making me gain a LOT of weight!!!! I have NEVER been so heavy, and two years ago was 60+ lbs lighter... I am eating much less, have cut more fats, exercising more, etc ... and I cant budge any of it... I never weighed this much 10 months pg... Every time I go into the doctor's office those darn scales claim I have gained more weight, even when mine says I have lost some... If I do not take the Lyrica, I have many seizure episodes per day, not to mention the terrible neuropathy pains... I do not know what to do, but I sure hope my neuro has some ideas when I see her again in September. Maybe a cool soak for your feet with some bath salts, and menthol in it (mouthwash has a lot) ??? It is soothing. My psych rx'd some Trazodone for sleep, and that stuff works... at least I can sleep through all the pain from the neuropathy and my recent injuries for now... She said it was not addicting or habit forming, so when my injuries are healed, I intend to just use it occasionally. She said I could use it all the time, or just when I cant sleep. Hope you can get some relief. Hooty

lisaiowa36 responded:
Thank you for your help.. My podrist did try Lyrica and cymbalta but never seemed to work. This is the worst they have been. But I will try the cool soak. Again thank you. Lisa

Hootyowl2 responded:
Hi Lisa, there are other medicines for diabetic neuropathy... Topamax, Tegretol, Neurontin, and others... I tried Topamax, but had adverse reactions to it... I used Tegretol for about 2 years till I got allergic to it... Havent tried the others yet. Different meds work for different people. Hopefully, you can try something else till you find relief. Hooty

phototaker responded:
Hooty, does the neuropathy happen even if you're eating all the right things, and your blood sugar is not going high? Do some diabetics just get it, even if they're eating correctly? I'm curious because my diabetic mom had it, and when I eat fruit and my sugar goes higher, I can feel the tingling in my legs. That's one sign that my sugar went up. If I didn't have those times, would I never get neuropathy, or does it just come in some people? I hope you don't mind my asking.

Hootyowl2 responded:
Hi PT, It is always there... my neuro says there is no cure for it, but medicines can help the pain some. Even if I eat all the right things and keep my sugars down, the neuropathy hurts like crazy a lot... Sometimes it is quiet, but that doesnt last very long... Or maybe it hurts a bit less than others? Not quite sure of how to say it. It is from years of uncontrolled diabetes. It can affect any nerves in your body... Nixie has it worse than mine. The damage can keep progressing like the diabetes too... Or it may stop where it is at when you get control? Since I am on insulin, my blood sugars are usually in the 90s and low 100s... sometimes lower, or a bit higher. It is quite rare for them to go over 200 though, actually, I rarely catch them over 140. I have to be "bad" to get them so high... But when I began the insulin, my numbers were in the upper 300s a lot, close to 400. They werent quite so high when my diabetes was dx'd though... Some people say the pain of their neuropathy eases when they have good numbers. Mine does NOT. I have had NON-diabetic nurses and doctors tell me it would get better if I kept my numbers down. So far they are very wrong. Advice from NON diabetics shouldnt be taken too seriously when it comes to neuropathy. They all want to play doctor and tell you how to be "cured"... Are you on insulin? You can control your blood sugar better with insulin than with the pills. If I do not eat fruits, my plumbing has a lot of troubles I would rather not mention. You need to eat protien with your carbs, including fruits. (Then your sugar will not spike so much) Fruits have a lot of vitamins and micronutrients to protect your heart. Then again, some people's diabetes does not get so severe that they get neuropathy or other problems from it. Diabetes is such a fickle disease, you never know what it will do inside of you. Occasional spikes do not cause neuropathy that I am aware of... From what I have read, it comes from frequently high numbers and being out of control. Hooty

phototaker responded:
I actually think of your pain sometimes, wondering if my occasional highs are going to affect me, too. I'm not on medicine. For the last 9 months, my a1c has been 6.1, not bad, not great. Since I test 3x a day, I know what my numbers are doing. Sometimes I'm 95, sometimes it goes higher. Usually my morning fasting numbers run from 110-142. During the day I'm around 95. If I eat fruit without protein, like you say, it rises. I just bought some cashews, and I have almonds that I have with it. Sometimes I eat a half piece of cheese. The only times it spiked really high was when I had the sugarless chocolate Sees candy or Cheetos...in weak moments. I've given up the Sees sugarless candies, and only very rarely buy the 100 calorie bags of baked Cheetos. It sends my sugar up high. So, I listen to you talk about your pain. I exercise(today did pilates and stationary bike, try to eat healthy), but do have moments when my sugar goes up. I can feel the tingling in my legs and know those moments. My doctor checked me over and said I didn't need medicine, but I'm watching myself carefully, and trying to decide for myself. That's why I'm asking you, Hooty. I appreciate your honesty. So, are you saying you didn't watch yourself that much at first, or did you watch yourself and do the occasional things I'm talking about? What was your A1c at that time? Honestly, I'm not sure I want any more pain than my back pain. I'm so sorry this is hurting you. Thanks for telling me like it is. I know that everyone is different, but it helps me to "think"....just like I hope others "think", too, from what we talk about.

nixie99 responded:
Phototaker, Of the different forms of neuropathy all of them can be inherited through genetics or acquired....My peripheral neuropathy isn't as advanced as many others here...My progression has been quite slow in development and I haven't had to become dependent on pain reduction meds as yet... Although painless, my Autonomic neuropathy bowel and bladder function has been my most distressful.... Non diabetics are also subject to Neuropathy, it can happen to anyone... It is accepted that high glucose can play a huge role in nerve damage in the diabetic... Unfortunately almost all of the complications we are vulnerable to carry the inherited/acquired duality and it is almost impossible to tell which is the deciding factor....We can do everything right throughout our diabetic years and still be at the mercy of our genetics...But it is imperative that we strive to do our best to avoid the acquired damage with control...We can't just say 'oh what the heck' and throw caution to the winds as there are a lot of complications that just wait in the wings for that kind of lapse on our part...HTH's Nixie

phototaker responded:
Thanks Nixie and Hooty! My mom had neuropathy in her legs and feet. I just remember her talking about how painful it was, but she lived back East, so I never really talked to her too much about it. I know she was a big walker, walking miles every day with my dad, and had pretty good balance. She did have trouble with her bladder, so that may have been the nerves, huh? Hmmm...I never realized that. I'm sorry you're having trouble with bowel and bladder functions. Teachers often have bladder problems as they have to "wait" to go to the bathroom during the "one" recess we have in the morning. Not only that, I have yard duty during two days of that one recess, and my teacher friend and I have to spell each other to use the bathroom. We have a yard duty aide out there, too. I do find if my sugar is up, I have to RUN to the bathroom, but I normally can wait almost 3 hours, if I have to. I have a friend who has to stop almost every hour. Is that like you? The only time I have the other trouble is if I eat the sugarless See's or other candy. I've given that up as it's hard on my system. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You and Hooty often have good ideas, because of your experiences. It's appreciated by me, and I'm sure others, too.

ruthbrown82 responded:
Hi Lisa I have it a little bit on my feet and it is irrating. After each shower, I use triple antibacterial ointment that comes in a tube over the counter. I also use anti itching ointment and I have Calamine lotion. Maybe you can try those. Ruth :smile:

Hootyowl2 responded:
I was not diagnosed with diabetes until April 2003. I have had the neuropathy since at least 2000. I was diabetic a long time before I was diagnosed. I had undiagnosed gestational diabetes for all 3 of my children, that has a bad effect also. That was back before the HbA1c test was invented.... I had symptoms off and on for years, but back around 1988 they got more persistant and frequent. I had all but one of the symptoms listed in those ads about millions having UNDIAGNOSED DIABETES and could have been their 'poster child" ... the only symptom in those ads that I didnt have was the ED for men... I got tested at least once a year or so, but nothing unusual showed up, until the late 90s. Then I was testing on the high end of normal, or just a few points over... I tried to be careful of my diet, but since I had NO guidance from anyone with knowledge of how, I guess I didnt succeed enough. And none of my health care providers thought to do further testing... My lifelong doc had retired, and the newbies (PA's ) in his office were clueless... Didnt even read my chart or history. In 03, I had to demand them to test my blood sugar again... they hadnt done it for over 3 years... and BINGO. It finally showed up. By then, I could barely walk and it was STILL another 7 months till I went to the neurologist's... he never referred me, just kept misdiagnosing the problem in my legs... I finally remembered that I was already her patient and didnt have to wait on a referral... In December she did that EMG test or whatever it is called on my legs, and the damage was up around my knees already, and severe. I do try to be careful of my diet, and exercise, etc... Due to the neuropathy, an old spinal injury and my heart problems my ability to exercise is rather limited. I have to stop and rest a lot too. And I used to be sooooooo active and mobile... and thin. I walked 3 or 4 miles a day, went hiking a lot, did heavy work, etc... My body wont put up with that stuff any more. But like all of us, I have my weak moments and i want to eat "normal" stuff... like pizza or ice cream... I try to keep those times minimal and the amounts small... taint so easy though. When I was first diagnosed, my A1c was only 6.3 ... However, I was "dieting" and trying to lose weight and only eating once or twice a day, if that... I had managed to lose 10 lbs too... So it screwed up my first A1c... The PA didnt think that was possible, but I had other docs who agreed that it would definitely mess up the results. About 18 months or so later, my A1c was around 9 and I was on metformin, then Glucotrol XL and Actos... They didnt work, and made me sick... very sick. My blood sugars were pushing 400... I ASKED & INSISTED to be put on insulin... I have an enlarged liver (the CTA of my heart showed it is a "fatty liver" ...) and just cant handle the pills. Some doctors put their patients with sugars like yours on a low dose pill as a preventive... Sounds reasonable to me.. But I am not a doctor. I dont mind people's questions about it. Maybe my answers can help someone else avoid complications? For years, my mom who is a registered nurse (retired now) believed I was borderline diabetic from the symptoms I was having and my large babies. I thought so too, and figured that I would be pretty sick by the time they caught up with it... I believe that testing for diabetes should be MORE agressive and more than just 1 fasting test... One FBG or one GTT is not enough... T2 is very hard to track down. One FBG or GTT might catch T1 early, but they are not enough to catch a T2 early. Peeing in a cup once a month does not catch gestational UNLESS it is severe and the sugars are well over 200 or 300... A GTT or glucose tolerance test does not catch early diabetes, or even moderate diabetes, especially T2. An A1c is better and will likely catch it, IF the person is eating normally

smip responded:
You will find that oral pain pill won't do very well on nerouopathy pain. What sometimes works well is a topical patch that you can put on the feet... I forget what its called but I've used them before and it takes the edge off the burning... I think its some kind of lidocane patch. You may want to ask your doc about meds like Neurontin, Lyrcia and a couple more like that.

catup responded:
i realize that this is a fairly old thread but what the heck. neuopathy or neuritis is caused by damage to the peripheral nerves. with diabetics it usually takes time to appear. good control does help but i've known folks with good control who get it regardless. i just wanted to mention another, inexpensive drug that is used to treat it. Amytriptiline (Elavil) which was first used as an anti-depressant. it cools down the nerve pain for many people, taken at bedtime. i mention it because compared to all of the anti-seizure drugs like neurontin, it causes much fewer side effects.

Rzrbkgy responded:
If I'm a bad boy I sometimes can feel tingling in my feet, not sharp pain but noticeable, if I'm a good boy, none whatsoever :smile:

xring responded:
Hi Lisaiowa. I'm not sure if this product would help with neuropathy but you might check it out. When I had tendonitis in both wrists, a chiropractor treated me with it & it helped. Also, my dad swore by it. It makes the area feel very cold for 2 - 3 hours. www.biofreeze.com/contact_us.php

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.