Skip to content
Glucerna Alternatives
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
I noticed the discussion of Glucerna down the board and it reminded me to ask about alternatives. My mother seems to often use Glucerna for a snack, on the go for lows, or for when her stomach is upset. She has gastroparesis as a result of her diabetes...so that makes for some days where she doesn't want to eat.

It is convenient, but expensive-even when we snag a coupon. Do you know of alternatives that are easy on the stomach and still nutritious?

smip responded:
Ensure or any other protine drink. They are all pretty much the same.

crazylegs1947 responded:
Sometimes I use Herbal Life Protein powder mixed with vanilla soy milk and occasionally add some blueberries or a banana. Every other week I have it mixed with slim fast powder and soy milk for breakfast everyday. It has helped me loose a few pounds so far. I mix it in the blender and add some ice to make it real cold, then it is like a milk shake... YUMMY !!

Kay

DianeR01 responded:
I use Slimfast Optima for breakfast quite frequently and keep one in the fridge at work for emergencies. If you watch at the discount stores, this time of year and early summer they will have them in 8 packs instead of the usual 6 pack. They then drop under a buck a can. There are often coupons on their web site.

If I am feeling really cheap I will get the store brand but they are not nearly as good as the name brand.

di

teddybear200 responded:
Hi Louise last year when I was having problem swallowing my Drs and my diabetes educator suggested 2 glasses a day of Carnation Instant Breakfast. It comes in sugar-free as well.

I can't have anything sugar-free (artificial sugars) so I had the regular stuff, it is cheaper to buy the large can than the individual packets. Your probably saying that had to raise my sugars - nope - it was in place of a meal.

It has all the minerals and vitamins that I needed. If you go to their web site you can usually get a coupon www.carnationinstantbreakfast.com. I hope this helps. Deb.

davilance responded:
Glucerna has a time release carbohydrate ingredient called CARBSTEADY which is not found in Ensure or Boost or any of the other nutrition drinks. It is especially for diabetics.

I would like to try to find some sort of home made smoothie or something that would provide the same nutrition. I have one we make with strawberries milk artificial sweetener coffee creamer and malt powder that tastes pretty good, but I don't know that it has all the elektrolytes and suchlike that a commercial nutrition drink has.

betatoo replied to davilance's response:
I don't know about . . . .elektrolytes and suchlike that a commercial nutrition drink has, buy I do know that as a test bed my body best responds to the more natural sources of calories and other nutrients. You may find making that smoothie with some almond milk, or soy milk would be helpful and it adds natural proteins. I would also consider adding other veggies and fruits to get a balance nutrients in you smoothie. All of this considered, the chemical soups called health drinks have time and place, but I don't like to depend on them. I do find that something comes in handy when kayaking, or biking, but water and a low carb energy bar works well for me if I need it. I have been traveling in the last few years knowing that I might not be able to eat when hungry, so have used these bars as snacks.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.