Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How much sugar can you eat a day?
ondelay posted:
I have been reading this site and see that a person can consume 100 grams of carbs a day, but I don't know how much sugar you can have. For instance, if the food label on a can says 10 carbs and 5 sugars, how many sugars a day can you have? I have been diagnosed within the last 3 weeks of Diabetes type 2 and so far I am keeping it in check with a diet of low carbs , lots of veggies, chicken and excercise, and metformin. But I don't know about the sugar. I couldn''t afford to take the nutrician class, so am so thankful that there is this site. I have learned all I know about Diabetes from here. Thank you!!

xring responded:
Hi, ondelay. I just completed 5 diabetes classes & while I don't agree with everything taught in them, we were taught that you don't have to be concerned with the sugar on the label at all - only the carbohydrate because the sugar is already included in the carb content. The sugar content is only there to satisfy the legal requirement to list it. Also, to get the net carbohydrate, you can subtract the grams of fiber from the grams of carbs because you won't digest/absorb the fiber. That is what makes high-fiber foods so important for diabetics. One of the highest fiber foods are beans.

auriga1 responded:
Generally speaking (very generally), diabetics can consume between 35-45 carbs per meal if you eat right. Sounds like you are doing that. If you can, find a web site or book that will list the carb contents in foods, such as veggies and fruits. There are some veggies that have a very high concentration of carbs. Fruit is O.K. in moderation if consumed with a protein. High fiber consumption is also good for diabetics. Can your doctor refer you to a dietician within the practice to help you with diet? As stated by others, carb content on labels includes the sugars. Do not even bother with the sugar content. Carbs are what you need to educate yourself on. Also, a good idea to space your meals apart about 4-5 hours. As with any diet, moderation is the key for all foods no matter what they be. 4 oz of protein, with your 35-45 grms of carbs (which can include your veggies and/or starches or grains.) Keep drinking lots of water. Hydration helps keep your blood sugars level. I purchased a book called "Calorie King" which lists carbs in almost every food and national chain restaurants. It gives you a good idea of what is out there.

DavidHueben responded:
Onedelay: For the most part, I agree with Xring. The only point of disagreement would be on the fiber content reduction of carb content. My CDE told me to count the total carb grams. And to avoid foods whose carb content is primarily sugars. That means careful label reading, meal planning, and counting carb grams for every meal. You must understand that all foods that contain carbohydrates (that includes vegetables, fruits, pasta, rice, potatoes, and white flour products) must be counted, along with any other carb intake. Some are better for you, some not so much. Stick with your allowed limits for each meal. Any food that contains carbohydrates will be metabolized by your body into its most elemental form, which is glucose (a sugar). Thus, the need to control total carbohydrate intake. David

mhall6252 responded:
I think many of us try to find foods that have the lowest amount of sugar listed as part of the carbs. For example, if you look at jars of marinara sauce, some have 5-6 grams of sugar, while others have up to 14. I'll bypass the higher ones and go for the lowest carb/sugar combo I can find. Of course, if you make your own you can control it even more.

rubystar2 responded:
Many times, insurance will cover the cost of the nutrition and diabetes education classes. Please do look into that. Call the nutrition class people and ask them if insurance coverage is accepted. It would be so helpful to you.

smip responded:
Here is a flyer that I got from one of my diabetic classes: RULES TO FOLLOW FOR DIABETIC EATING 1. Eat every 3 - 5 hours 2. Eat 30 - 50 grams carbohydrate for breakfast 3. Eat 45 - 60 grams carblhydrate for lunch and dinner 4. Eat 15 - 30 grams carbohydrate for snacks 5. eat a serving of protein and/or fat with every meal and snack. NEVER EAT CARBOHYDRATES BY THEMSELVES 6. 15 grams carbohydrate - 1 exchange serving of carbohydrates 7. Eat carbohydrates (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans) high in fiber 8. Drink at least 8 glasses (64 ounces) watter each day Hope this helps.

smip responded:
You have to remember that you are not just looking out for sugar.... it's the TOTAL CARBOHYDRATES in each product that we eat that we need to look for. So in some cases a very large potatoe can be just as bad as a large choclate bar.

soapster1949 responded:
Remember that all carbs are not equal. Always chose whole grains and complex carbs over simple carbs; ie. whole wheat anything vs. white anything. Your body metabolizes the complex carbs slowly and the simple carbs quickly; hence, complex carbs are better utlized by your body and will not cause your blood glucose to rise as quickly as simple carbs would.

smip responded:
I agree somewhat... but a carb is a carb is a carb no matter how you look at it. My insulin tells me that if I eat a choclate bar that is 17 carbs... or if I eat a potatoe that is 17 carbs I still bolus for 17 carbs no matter what type of carb it is. HOWEVER with that being said.... it is important to eat good carbs and not thrive on the bad ones.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.