Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Blood sugar levels
Newtons posted:
My neighbor was taken to a major hospital with a blood sugar level of 1600. He is on morphine and insulin right now. He fell while at home, and an MRI has shown no bleeding in the brain, but he is having trouble remembering his daughter. Have any of you ever known someone that has had that high of a blood sugar level, and does it affect the brain?

xring responded:
I was under the impression that anything around 400 was very serious. I didn't think it was even possible to get to 500-600. I'm sure it could affect the brain because when I was diagnosed at 491, the ER nurse said "we better see you ahead of everybody because we don't want you in a coma." How did they measure it? Our home meters don't go anywhere near that high.

rubystar2 responded:
I work in a hospital laboratory and we do have patients come into the Emergency Room with glucose levels over 1000, but it is rare. More often in the 400-800 range. These are usually undiagnosed patients who 'just haven't been feeling well'. :pbpt: This patient's glucose was probably measured on a lab instrument. If it is too high to read on our instrument, we dilute it until we get a reading then multiply the result by the dilution. I don't know if a glucose level that high can affect the brain, but I would NOT be surprised.

Newtons responded:
I do not know how they measured it, but he is in the major trauma hospital in our area. I hope to know more tommorow. Thanks for your reply.

phototaker responded:
I had a 7 year old little child in my classroom last year that had a 900 in the hospital and lived with no complications. She's now managing her diabetes well, but it was a scare for the parents(and me). I "think" she's on an insulin pump.

nixie99 responded:
this is kind of 'rule of thumb' but here goes.... Generally, if a diabetic presents extremely high or extremely low glucose yet is still under their own power and treated immediately, there will be a good prognosis with medical suppression if neccessary for a high, or in the event of a low, then the administration of glucose... The greatest danger lies in being discovered already comatose overly long from either of these situations... This will impair oxygen levels and produce brain damage as a result of oxygen starvation....The other considertion is organ damage as highs or lows that are advanced to the coma level mean that all organs are shutting down and should this be the case, if too advanced, the person may not be able to recover due to systemic shock.... It isn't unusual for a patient presenting extreme highs or lows, (yet still physically functioning ) to have some temporary difficulty with memory or disorientation. Usually this will pass within a few hours following treatment. I hope all goes well for this gentleman and he will fully recover from his ordeal... He is a lucky man to have been medically treated when he was. Nixie

arealgijoe responded:
I would think that anything that would render a person unconscious would affect the brain. My mother was found in a coma after she had been assaulted in her secure apt and at the same time the home health care service did not show up for several days to give her her insulin, she never came out of the coma. When I was Dx'D with diabetes, I was admitted to the hospital due to low oxygen and BS level was not checked until routine daily tests that all patients get. So I do know that very high BS levels can cause a lack of oxygen which can affect more than just the brain. 20+ years ago I had a hypo reaction and out cold. My BS level as measured by the ambulance crew was 25. At that level the ER staff was concerned about possable brain damage I think the sample was taken by the ambulance crew and tested at the hospital. It took a while with the IV to awaken, a slow scarry process. I regained my ability to hear first, but unable to understand words, then slowely borken speach and vision returned.. It was a lot like a stroke, but full recovery in an hour or less. (*&*( GOMER

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.