Skip to content
diabetic with bad mouth taste
newpiney posted:
Can my husband's bad taste in his mouth be caused by his diebetes ? If so what can I do for him or take him to see? I have done everything his doctors have told me to do. Brush your gums.[he has no teeth> Mouth wash salt and water. I am at my wits end. Please help me. The only doctor he has not seen is a stomach doctor. newpiney

MrsCora01 responded:
How is his glucose control? Ketones in the blood due to chronic high glucose can change the smell of the breath and cause a bad taste. Has he done a test for ketones in the urine? Sorry I can't be more help, but this is all I can think of. Cora

LJAndieRNP responded:
Hi, It may very well be from his stomach, but he should start with his primary care provider, who may refer him to a GI (stomach) doctor next. Take care.

DianeR01 responded:
Has he changed meds recently? His meds may cause a bad taste, check the patient information leaflet or ask the pharmacist. my thoughts di

LLKinkead responded:
Mrs Cora: The ketones comments you are getting are oh so true. When my ketones are running rampant I have the worse taste in my mouth (like rotten citrus) and no matter how much moutwash or brushing of my teeth will get rid of it. The taste and smell only goes away when the ketones are gone. Please make sure your husband is testing for ketones on a regular basis if his sugars are elevated, the bad taste is a warning sign. The suggestion to have his stomach checked is also a good one. I have a complication of diabetes called Gastroparersis and it can really wreak havoc with your whole body. Good luck and my prayers will be with you both.

smip responded:
I know that when my numbers are high I ALWAYS get a bad taste in my mouth. I usually try to get my numbers back down to normal and use the Crest Pro toothpaste and mouthwash. It don't hurt to have a pepoment on hand either hehe.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.