Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes Recipe Thread
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
This thread is for diabetes friendly recipes. (and other favorites of our Diabetes Family) If you have comments or questions regarding a recipe, please post in a separate thread. Thanks

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
My mother is a meatloaf fan. She recently found this recipe for a "Pizza Meatloaf" that is diabetes friendly. Pizza Meat Loaf 1 lb ground 90% lean turkey or beef 6 Tablespoons dried fine bread crumbs (she uses whole grain bread crumbs or crushed bran flakes) ½ cup finely chopped onion ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper ½ cup sliced mushrooms, drained 1 ¾ cup (one 15oz can) tomato sauce (low sodium, no sugar added) 2 tsp Italian seasoning 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper ¾ cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese Spray loaf pan with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, combine meat, bread crumbs, onion, green pepper, mushrooms,salt, pepper, ½ cup tomato sauce, & 1 tsp Italian seasoning. Mix well to combine. Form loaf in pan. Stir remaining 1 tsp Italian seasoning into remaining tomato sauce. Spread sauce mixture evenly over meat mixture. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over top. Bake 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted and loaf is fully cooked. Each serving equals: 240 calories 9 g fat 29 g protein 11g carbohydrate Diabetic exchanges: 2½ meat 2 vegetable

DavidHueben responded:
The following website will show you my BBQ Blog that includes some great BBQ recipes. They were not intended to be "diabetic friendly", but most can be done in a diabetic friendly manner by using Splenda products (sugar, baking blend, or brown sugar). Enjoy. Here is the link: dmh-bbq.blogspot.com/ David

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Lentil "Meat" Loaf double fudge balls Sugar Free Confectioners Sugar, Sugar Free Frosting, Spiced Apple Dessert Cranberry Sauce Diabetic Pineapple Cream Pie ~LouiseSenior Community Moderator~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Save Money the Healthy Way

unknown responded:

slippershoe responded:
Hi Louise these look yummy. my daughter and me are bothe diabetic she cooks lentils with cactus that is in the jar drained pam spray a skillet fry some chopped onion 1/2 and two chopped and seeded tomatoes add cactus that has been drained and 2 cups cooked and drained lentils saute for about 15 min so flavors mix. This is a great side dish or eat it on tortillas.You can find the jarred cactus on the Mexican food isle. it has a green bean lemony flavor. no carbs. enjoy. I can not wait to try your recipes.Slippershoe " align="top" border="0">

unknown responded:

booklover1945 responded:
One of my favorites Applesauce Muffins Applesauce makes the muffins tender and moist without overloading them with fat. Number of Servings: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin Ingredients unsweetened applesauce 1 1/4 cups --- egg 1 --- canola or corn oil 2 tbsp --- honey 1/4 cup --- whole-wheat flour 1 cup --- Rolled Oats 3/4 cup --- Ground flax seed ¼ cup --- baking powder 2 tsp --- baking soda 3/4 tsp --- cinnamon 1/2 tsp --- nutmeg 1/4 tsp --- Small apple peeled & chopped 1 --- Preparation Instructions 1. In a large bowl, beat together the applesauce, egg, oil, and honey. 2. Stir in the dry ingredients, stirring just to moisten. 3. Stir in the chopped apple and divide the batter among 12 muffin cups coated with nonstick cooking spray. 4. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Nutrition Information Amount per serving Calories 130 Calories from Fat 27 Total Fat 3 g Saturated Fat 0 g Cholesterol 18 mg Sodium 130 mg Total Carbohydrate 24 g Dietary Fiber 2.6 g Sugars 5 g Protein 3 g I have several others if any one is interested

unknown responded:

slippershoe responded:
Here,s one for those who like a spicy appetizer or for partys or just snack.They are called my Stuffed greenie jalopeenie.You will need 1 Large bag pork rinds and 1 large can pickeled jalepenos drained and rinsed slice in half and seeded drain upside down on paper towels also you will need two eggs beaten with a whisk or you can use 4 egg whites beaten stiff like for merangie. Now you will also need 2cups milk 2% will work and a block of cream cheese any %fat I use light.and 1 cup chedder cheese lite now get eggs ready which ever way you want to fix them do not mix egg whites in to the milk only the whole ones if that is what you have chosen.whipped go to their selfe now you will need a food processor or some way to crumble the pork rinds put them in a bowl to the side now mix soften cheeses.Now set up assembly line stuff pepper with cheese mix dip in egg mix roll in crumbs. lay on tray you really need to freeze and double dip than freeze again when frozen put in containers until use deep fry quickly in hot canolla oil drain on paper towels .These fry in about 1-2 min. when you use whipped egg whites just dip in whites and roll in crumbs no egg and milk mix.These are so delicious the pork rinds have no carbs peppers a trace the cheese and eggs none or a few I serve these with quacamole and sour cream for dipping.Enjoy. " align="top" border="0">.S you can adjust this to your amounts according to how many you will make or add something else to the filling just remember stuff than dip than roll freeze than again dip roll and freeze than put in containers. from slippershoe:

unknown responded:

crazylegs1947 responded:
This can be used to stuff tomatoes for a great lunch or on a sandwich or as a dip with some diabetic friendly crackers. Wheat thins make a toasted wheat veggie cracker that is really good. Chicken Salad 2 cups of cold cooked chicken(white meat is best).You can also used canned chicken breast. 2 tablespoons of sweet relish. Kroger brand has a no sugar one.Or chopped gerkins 1/4 cup each finely chopped red onion and celery. 1/2 cup lite mayo or miricle whip lite. 1 tablespoon white vinegar & 2 teaspoons splenda mixed into mayo. This can be adjusted to taste 1 teaspoons celery seed (optional) 2 hard boiled eggs,chopped Mix ingredients together and pour mayo mixture over it and mix well. Add the eggs and mix . You can also use Tuna or canned smoked salmon in place of the chicken. Enjoy Kay

unknown responded:

crazylegs1947 responded:
1/2 cup mayonaise 1/3 cup sugar (I use splenda) 1/4 cup milk ..you can use 2% but it is not as rich. 1/4 cup buttermilk 2 &1/2 tablespoons lemon juice 1 & 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar 1/2 Teaspoon salt ( I use less,High BP you know) 1/8 teaspoon pepper Combine all ingredients and whisk untill well blended. Add 1 head (or 8 cups) of finely chopped cabbage,2 tablespoons minced onion( I use a grater for the onion too) Add 1 finely grated carrot Mix all ingredients together and refridgerate for at least 2 hours. I find I cannot wait that long LOL... Enjoy

beatriceanntorres7890 responded:
hi my name is beatrice torres i am 24 years old and I have diabetes one ago on march 2007 and I need I help can you help me please thank you anyway I my grandpa to he have diabetes i not remeber want have diabetes because heis brothers have it and now i got from my grandpa said of his famaily so i want to know can you help me please thnk you

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.