Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
what is tapioca??
amanda2581 posted:
I bought some fat free sugar free tapioca puddings for some of my snacks ,But it give,s me gas ,I alway,s thought it was like rice,What is it,I want to hear from the board so please no link,s where I can look it up.I like input from my fellow board member,s.Thanks bunche,s from slipper :sillygrin:

DavidHueben responded:
Tapioca is a starch extracted from the root of the cassava plant. It is manufactured into the "pearls". DMH

amanda2581 responded:
So is it a starch that is high in carbs like rice,My son threw all the boxes away from the pudding,s they were reduced is why I bought them and fat free sugar free, :smile:

DavidHueben responded:
I don't know. You would have to look up the brand you purchased for nutritional information. I suspect you could find it on: b www.calorie-king.com or b www.nutritiondata.com David

amanda2581 responded:
It was called KOZY SHACK ok I will look,Thanks :smile:

DavidHueben responded:
www.kozyshack.com/prod_no_sugar_tapioca.html DMH

mhall6252 responded:
That looks like a pretty healthy choice in my opinion. Maybe something else caused the gas. Personally, I don't like tapioca or rice pudding. But if I did, I could see choosing this brand. Maybe you should give it a second try. Do you have lactose intolerance? It's made with milk...

FINALLY55 responded:
I get the kind you make yourself it taste soooooo much better. I don't care for the ones that are already cooked. We used to make it at my work, that is probably why I don't like the precooked kind plus the fact that I haven't been able to find any that tasted half way decent to me.

amanda2581 responded:
I figured out why it is giveing me gas!! It has 4gms fiber in each little cup and I eat two of those a day,Also it has chickory in it ,So that,s 8 grm, fiber and than the chikory ,So that may be the gas problem,I have also been eating the digestive yogurts fat free like 2 a day,These were rduced to 1.25 a 4 pack so I grabbed a bunch along with the tapioca, They were reduced to about that I think,Oh well the yogurt is helping and I am out of the puddings but I have found something new in tapioca, So maybe I will make my own,and see,I have stopped going around tooting my horn as to say the least,So I know it was that pudding,I also eat a lot of other fiber,s such as spinach and bean,s and celery,etc, etc,My daughter came over and made soapa,s A thick corn masa bread that are fried and topped with beans steak lett, toms, green sauce,cheese, sour cream,And they are sooooo!!!! good I just had beans on mine and small amount of cheese, and sour cream and lot,s of lett ,toms and green sauce,But they are so yummy ,like a thick toastda, fried so I only had two small,ones about 4 inches in diameter,slipper :smile:

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Have you tried baking them instead of frying? Or grilling them? That masa just sucks up the fat.

amanda2581 responded:
No we never eat those that was a treat for mother,s day,It was for the whole family and friend,s and my daughter always does authenic mexican food,She was useing canolla and sunflower oil,Other than that she never makes these except for special occassions,I usually eat toastada shells they come in a stack and are either red or yellow or white,only 100 calories 23 carbs for two,You can pile them up high with fat free beans abd veggies and fat free sour cream , slipper :smile:

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Sopes are delicious and a lovely treat. I just was asking if she had ever tweaked her sopes recipe to lower the fat without losing the taste because you are still looking at 15 or more grams of fat and 30 + carbs for one small sope before you add toppings. If you share her recipes/your favorite recipes on the Healthy Cooking Board, Elaine can help you knock off calories, add nutrition, and give you a nutritional analysis of your recipes.

wilburthecat responded:
I really enjoy the fat free sugar free puddings. The tapioca is my favorite, but very hard to find. We get Kozy Shack sugar free rice pudding, but rarely the tapioca. I've also seen other flavors advertised, but nobody seems to carry them. Kind of a rip-off that Kozy Shack also only has four containers in their package, compared to the Jello brand that has six, so don't get the Kozy Shack brand very often. I think all the pre-made sugar free puddings, whatever brand, are usually around 15 grams of carbs, so not to bad. To bad there aren't more yogurt brands available that are low carb. Yoplait Light has some great flavors, but most of them are 35-40 carbs, so no way. The only major brand I've found that's low carb is Dannon Light, and we've got a few regional brands. Nowhere near the flavor variety of Yoplait Light, but until Yoplait comes out with a lower carb version, I avoid them. Low Fat doesn't always equal low carb or even low calorie.

amanda2581 responded:
Well she would for us but not for her mexican hubby,s side of the family they have to have fried,That was the first fried food I have had in ages, I always bake or broil everything,So does she usually,Thank you for the suggestion Louise,slipper :smile:

amanda2581 responded:
The kraft sugar free fat free snacks puddings are 10_10.00 here in north Texas at Krogers or Tom Thumb usually,Also they have it in the instant pudding mix,Now that I know more about tapioca I will start buying it,But I will definately have to take some gasx with it, :sillygrin: slipper

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.