Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Agave Nectar
rubystar2 posted:
I just got done reading the post on artificial sweeteners vs. sugar for diabetics. I have 'discovered' Agave nectar. It is a natural sweetener made from the same cactus plant tequila is made from . It has a low glycemic index for a sweetener and so far it doesn't seem to spike my blood glucose levels. I have two different kinds of agave nectar. One is a darker, 'heavier' tasting nectar (called raw blue agave nectar) and the other is a lighter nectar. I have used the darker nectar to sweeten my oatmeal and it was pretty tasty. It almost has a maple syrup sort of flavor. The lighter agave nectar is good for sweetening, say, iced tea (though I drink mine plain) or something that wouldn't do well with a heavier sweetener. Maybe others would like to give this a try as it is a natural sweetener with a low glycemic index. It is ranked a 30 on the glycemic index.

allaboutagave.com/
FirstPrevious12NextLast

MockBe responded:
Hi rubystar2.

Hey....I was just asking about other sweetners that were not rat poison...I will read up on it..Do you think it would taste all right in a cup of coffee?

Rich

UndertheOaks responded:
Back in the good ol' days when I was just pre-diabetic and didn't know anything about the glycemic index, spiking and blood glucose meters, a friend recommended agave as a natural sweetener. It stood up well in a cup coffee, so I used it for a few days. Well, it wasn't long before I realised that agave was giving me the biggest roller coaster ride of my life. A double tequila sunrise - tequila is simply fermented agave nectar - could hardly have been more conscious altering. The mood swings in a matter of an hour were spectacular; it must have been giving me a soaring sugar high and plummeting descent from that high. I dread to think what it was doing to my blood sugar.

First, Agave is 95% fructose, which is much higher than the concentrations of fructose in fruit - and without any of fruit's fibre to compensate. Secondly, it is mostly processed in Mexico, away from US oversight, and may be being cut with high fructose corn syrup. So depending on where it is processed, its claim to being low on the glycemic index may just be phooey.

I remember telling my friend of its effect on me and saying if agave nectar is legal, I can't imag9ine what crack cocaine does to you.

My experience. Doesn't have to be yours.

UndertheOaks responded:
Article from the Chicago Tribune on the dangers of agave nectar, sourced in "The Carb Wars" blog" carbwars.blogspot.com/2008/03/potential-dangers-of-agave.html

amanda2581 responded:
have grown those cactus,s before they are real easy to grow just plent of sun and water about once a month,mine grew to be about 3ft high,slipper p.s it was blue agave cactus, they are in the succulent plant family.

UndertheOaks responded:
My other post was removed . I think I violated copyright by posting too many words from an article. But I want to post the link again, and ask all of you who would consider using agave nectar to look for the part where it discusses the fructose in agave nectar, and how fructose can damage the sensitivity of insulin receptors making it necessary over time to produce more insulin to process glucose, that fructose significantly increases serum triglycerides, how fructose may have a low percentage of glucose (5-10%) but all that fructose creates high blood fructose levels which is far worse as while at least glucose can be metabolised by each cell, fructose must be metabolised through the liver which can be damaging in itself, creating cirrhosis-like conditions. How fructose can contribute to diabetic conditions.

www.living-foods.com/articles/agave.html

Frankly, I wrote that little fillip at the end of my original post , where I said 'well that was my experience, it doesn't has to be yours' out of a sense of needing to inclusive on the board. The truth is I think anyone should think twice, then thrice before using agave nectar. The truth is I think agave nectar is dangerous and should be off the market, as should all fructose syrup. The fact is I think agave nectar is as much rat poison as aspartame or any other fake sugar.

amanda2581 responded:
always saw on the history channel the agave root is used for the makeing of tequila? not the cactus part.we use it for cut,s and burn,s just like aloe.all i know is they are easy to grow and beautiful to look at.i thought fructose was like corn syrup.well i learned something new today.i know they sell the agave cactus in the mexican speciality store big long cactus..that are the top of the plant .i wonder what else can be done with these top,s of these cactus i will find out .guarantee that.thank you for the info.slipper

UndertheOaks responded:
when i wrote "how fructose may have a low percentage of glucose (5-10%) but all that fructose creates high blood fructose levels which is far worse " in the above post, i meant to write "how AGAVE NECTAR may have a low percentage of ... etc."

rubystar2 responded:
Thanks for all the information. Perhaps I need to reconsider this agave nectar.

UndertheOaks responded:
it makes me wonder : if fructose makes it harder for insulin receptors to work, and there's so much incidence of diabetes 2 ... and there's so much incidence of fructose in processed foods ... is this the link?

think the very nearly manic/depressive symptoms i had while using it, must have been my body's inability to absorb and use it, and my liver's inability to process it. who needs that grief?

MockBe responded:
Hi rubystar2.

Well after reading some of the posts in response to agave...I will have to do more research on it.

Rich

Lindee0723 replied to MockBe's response:
I just bought raw blue agave sweetener & tried it in my coffee....tasted pretty good. Just be careful to use only a small amount because it is much sweeter than regular white sugar. The purpose of choosing to use agave isn't just because it is a natural sweetener. It has a lower glycemic index which is helpful for dieters who want to reduce their calorie intake for weight loss but also for diabetics that need to limit carbs to maintain healthy blood sugar levels... so using less is very imortant. I am diabetic...so I add cinnamon chips in the coffee filter when I brew my coffee as an extra bonus because it is supposed to help diabetics with blood sugar levels.

phototaker replied to Lindee0723's response:
What are cinnamon chips? I do use cinnamon when I made French toast, really putting a lot on...especially if there are days when my fasting number is a little higher.

Where do you get them? That's a super idea to put it into coffee.

mhall6252 replied to phototaker's response:
I am guessing that it is broken pieces of cinnamon bark. You can buy cinnamon "sticks" and break them up - then add a few to the top of the coffee grounds before brewing. I'm not so sure that you would get a therapeutic dose using this method. It's easier to take daily cinnamon capsules.

Michelle

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.