Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
rotisserie chicken
cookiedog posted:
I have a question about good old rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. I was working at a volunteer job today and someone ran out to get us lunch. She brought us each a nice green salad and some rotisserie chicken. She planned to take the skin off the chicken and place shredded chicken on the salads. I was hesitant about whether taking off the skin alone would lower the salt sufficiently and all the other awful stuff they put on rotisserie chicken. Aren't those chickens injected with high salt broth?

auriga1 responded:
Don't know if they all are. I tried some that claimed to be free of everything called "Amish" chicken, supposedly from Amish country. Now if the rotisserie process was done at the grocery store, probably has sodium in it. I reallly don't know how the industry does the rotisserie chickens. I know most stores do their own, but this one was not a store label. It was quite good and not too salty. The label says "Amish" if you want to give it a try, but I didn't look at the sodium content closely enough. I am sodium restricted and should have read it through. Check it out if any of your stores carry it.

phototaker responded:
I do get mine every week at the grocery market. It's perfect for one person. I always take off the skin, and it doesn't seem to be salty. I found the one at Safeway seemed to have more salt. I'll ask the next time I get one. I picked one up today.

rubystar2 responded:
On a rare occassion, I have these rotisserie chickens for dinner. I think once in a while is okay. I find them pretty tasty.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
It depends-sodium in rotisserie chickens range from 300-650 mg per serving. Some in the skin of course. You can look up a lot of supermarket brands on The Daily Plate or Calorie King for more information. I think it tends to be an everything in moderation type of thing-a little on a salad would be delicious for a change. Unless you are on a very low sodium diet due to doctors orders--I would worry more about the dressing than the chicken.

cookiedog responded:
Oh no, Louise, I hadn't even thought about the dressing. I am limited to 1500 mg. of sodium per day. it was an excellent salad and we took the skin off. I think it sounds okay for a very occasional treat. I tend to try to fix meat and poultry with no salt and save my sodium allowance for things where it is unavoidable. Thank for the info, folks!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dressing is an insane adder of calories, fat, sodium and carbs. I am always shocked when I read the labels on salad dressings-even "healthy" ones. Then look at the serving size...not what people usually use on their salads. I am a big fan of the dip the fork in the dressing, then in the salad to ration the dressing. It helps a lot.

cookiedog responded:
At home, I make my own salad dressing or use very low salt ones I buy on the internet. It is much trickier in a restaurant. I sometimes carry a little container of my homemade salad dressing with me when I eat out.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.