Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
skin spots under breasts
kris10mur posted:
My mother was diagnosed this last year with type two diabetes. She has not needed to take insulin, but was advised to lose weight and watch her diet. She is 56 years old. She showed me some brownish/tan circular spots under her breasts the other day. There were quite a few and ranged in size. One was particularly large, brown in color and raised. About the width of a quarter but more oval than round. The other spots are more of a tan color and some almost look like skin tags.

Are these spots associated with diabetes? Should she see a doctor about this and what should she do to get rid of them. The spots are right under her breasts and on he bottom of her breast where her bra strap is rubbing as well.

Any information or help you can give me would be very helpful. Thank you so much for your time. Kristen

flutetooter responded:
My dermatologist said my similar spots were just one of the joys of age. I said that they bothered me where they hit clothing items and beside they were not exactly pretty. She laughed and touched them up with a liquid spot remover. (Not what you using on your clothes! It was liquid nitrogen.)

They dried up and went away. Some of them still have very faint tan discolorations where they were, but the skin is flat.

Good heath for your mother, and may all her problems be solvable so easily!

soapster1949 responded:
She should see a dermatologist to make sure these are not precancerious lesions. Whenever you notice a difference on your skin - something appears that was never there before - or a mole or beauty mark has changed in color or size - have it checked out. It could be nothing, but it is better to be safe.

cookiedog responded:
I have survived two bouts of melanoma. No one and I mean no one should self diagnose skin spots, moles, etc.

Skin cancer is an epidemic in our country and she needs to see a dermotologist to ensure these are harmless spots.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.