Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Crazy numbers
nightowl41 posted:
I have been testing, not religiously though for the last week and a half. I get nuts with the numbers. Did not test the previous 3 days before today, as being sick I just didn't feel up to it. As I have stated, testing really makes me terribly nervous, hopefully I get over it. Seems the morning numbers are totally out of wack, except for that horrid 175 thing that night. Am I getting the Dawn thing and spikes? I seriously can't make heads nor tails of all this. Would being so nervous testing cause the high numbers? I also have high BP, but don't take my pill till after testing.

This is what I have been getting pre and post meals before I got sick. First number is morning, second after supper about 2 hrs.:

138...175 YIKES!

139 this morning.

Last few days I have been sick with Diahrrea and a cold, so have been totally off schedule with eating. Just kind of grabbing anything when I felt like eating, which wasn't too often. Weighed myself this a.m., lost 5 lbs. over the last 5 days, always do when I have these episodes. To me there is no pattern, as except for the last few days, have been eating like I always do. Man this is so frustrating.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

missy99687 responded:
Nightowl - when you are ill, your bg WILL normally be higher because your body is fighting off infection.

You should keep a log though and let your medical team know. When I'm sick, my numbers will go over 200, but my doc and team are kept aware of this and my doc said that even after you are feeling better, your numbers may still be high a week or so later because your body is STILL fighting off any leftover germs.

My last doc said that as long as my numbers come back down, he's not overly concerned.

Just make sure to keep hydrated the best you can especially with diarrhea, because you don't want the problems you will have with dehydration.

Drinking Pedialyte is helpful during this time. So is taking probiotic acidophillis. This latter med replaces the good germs in your gut.

auriga1 responded:
Being ill plays havoc with your numbers. You're not eating on a schedule, which helps somewhat as long as keep within your carb allowance. Of course, while you're sick, it's hard to get any physical activity in. It all plays with your blood glucose numbers.

Don't just grab anything. See if you can eat some soups that are not overloaded with carbs. Keep yourself hydrated with water as much as you can. Dehydration can send your numbers soaring, also.

Until you feel better and eat better, your numbers will be different from what you are used to. I know it is easier said then done, but try not to stress too much over your numbers. They are not as bad as they can be, except for the 175. It's really not too bad, especially with your illness.

arealgijoe responded:
A-1.U are kunfusing me...........

You're not eating on a schedule, which helps somewhat

?????????

Maybe for you, but for me it's even more important to eat on as normal a schedule as possable.

SOUP, is usually overloaded with SODIUM.....really GREAT for high blood pressure, NOT!

Being sick like all have said here, does wreck BS numbers, that is normal for a diabetic and being on insulin I have to take extra insulin when I am sick.

(*&( GOMER

auriga1 responded:
Gomer,

I said that wrong. Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I eat on a regular schedule, 4-5 hours apart. That's what I meant to say when the poster stated she was eating when she felt she could eat.

I don't use canned soups either because of that high sodium content. I make my own. That's what I was thinking about for her illness.

nightowl41 responded:
I know when hubby was sick 2 weeks ago his numbers were reaching the 200 plus mark, he had to up his meds. for a few days. That crazy 175 really sent me into a panic, but if I remember correctly, it was a pasta night and NO protein with it.

I have been keeping as hydrated as possible, as like I said, this problem has been going on for a few years. I know I got a little dehydrated as my pulse was fast and I felt kind of weak for about 2 hrs., then I drank water till I couldn't stand anymore.

I usually drink some Propel, as it is low in sugar even for a full bottle, but never drink an entire bottle anyway. I really did live on whole wheat bread, some peanut butter and one hard boiled egg, that is all I could tolerate.

My Dr. put me on those probiotics last time I got really sick, and can you believe they made me go more? She said I have a VERY weird system, too sensative to many things. Oh well, I will just keep tabs on what I do eat and pray things stabilize.

Thank you for your input..much appreciated. JJ

nightowl41 responded:
Soup I don't care to eat as with high BP, there is too much salt. As I posted above, I really lived on whole wheat bread toasted, some peanut butter and a hard boiled egg. My tummy just couldn't handle much else. I usually munch on Club crackers, but know they are pretty much loaded with carbs.

I think that 175 was the night we went out for a pasta dinner. Even though it was the child's portion, there was no protein with it, so that could have messed me up.

Have to find me a good site for low gylcemic foods. Have surfed the web, but haven't seen anything that really lists many food groups, it's mostly all carb items.

Thanks for you response, everything is appreciated. JJ

flutetooter responded:
"Low glycemic" IS all about carbs only, because that is about how fast the sugar in a food gets absorbed into your body, and sugars ARE carbs.

Many foods, such as spaghetti sauce, contain mixed fats, protein and carbohydrates. Eating fats or protein with the carbs will slow down their entry into your body also.

A large amount of food containing fats and proteins as well as carbs can raise your insulin and sugar levels, blood pressure, etc. also, if you eat too much of almost anything. You have to watch your total calories as well as your carbs and how fast those carbs enter your body. Complicated, huh!

flutetooter responded:
P.S. Spaghetti and all other pastas have approximately 40 carbs for 2 oz. dry, or about 1 cup cooked. That is without the sugar laden sauce, the Italian bread sticks. etc. That amount would send MY sugar well over 200! My PERSONAL limit for potatoes, rice, pasta, barley, is 1/4 cup cooked at any given meal, and I rarely eat them.

I know this sound gross, but I enjoy low carb Hunts brand or homemade sauce over bean sprouts straight out of the can (located in Chinese food aisle) or fresh steamed bean sprouts, or "Miracle noodles (real made of a seaweed). Some enjoy Dreamsfield pasta, diabetic, but it still contains carbs.

mhall6252 responded:
Here's the best site I know that explains the glycemic index and how it works:

www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

Here's a link to a table with lots of foods and their GI index:

www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Regular pasta spikes most people. That's why most of us eat either Dreamfield's or some whole wheat brand. I fed my daughter Dreamfield's this week and she didn't know she was eating something different. It's really darn good! The only caution is to not overcook it; otherwise, it loses its low carbiness. Even with this, portion control is a must.

nightowl41 responded:
I truly appreciate EVERYONES input, links etc. etc. As soon as I feel much better, I am going to make myself a log to find out just what foods affect me the most and hopefully can get a hold of this stinking disease. Much appreciation to all, your a VERY nice group!! JJ

soapster1949 responded:
You might want to change "pasta night out" to something else or somewhere else where you can order a carb friendly meal while the rest of your family enjoys the pasta. Some places do serve whole grain pasta so you might check with the restaurant, but most servings are much too large for a diabetic (or anyone else for that matter).

arealgijoe responded:
Ok A-1....U R off the hook.......

The soup thing was DRILLED into me last year wehn I was sent back to the diabetes center for changes to reflect my K-bean (kidney) issue. Not many people bother to make their own anything these days, even tho as you noted its so much healthier.

(*&*( GOMER more Chicken than soup..........

phototaker responded:
Here's another thought, since you get sick so much(or is this because of your cold?) Didn't you say you had IBS symptoms? I can't remember. Anyhow, is there a possibility you may have something else going on...gluten allergy, milk allergy? Have you been tested for allergies. I get very sick (intestinally)whenever I have milk products except cheese. I can handle that for some reason, but not a lot of it.

nightowl41 responded:
No photo..I have had this on and off thing for a few years. They ran every test you can imagine, even the good old colonoscopy...NOTHING! At that time I was taking Altace for my BP, so they took me off of it and for awhile I did fine. Whatever it is seems to come and go when it feels like it, but usually if I have a cold it will hang around for 4-5 days. Dr. also said it seems to hit when I am extremely nervous, which is true. They ruled out IBS and allergies, so guess it is just some fool thing I will have to deal with as best as possible.

They tried me on Probiotics a few months ago, it worked fine for awhile, then started making me go more. Dr. told me some people do have that problem, so just to take them every so often. I do notice if I take one, the next 2 days I go a lot. VERY weird system I have.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.