Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
anemia affecting Blood sugar?
wisgirl87 posted:
Can being anemic affect your blood sugar numbers? Like showing up higher or lower than what they really are? Or can it affect an A1c test? Thankyou, Therese

MrsCora01 responded:
A lot of diabetics on dialysis and who have kidney failure who are anemic often have much lower a1cs than they expect. Not all doctors believe in this, but most dialysis nurses will. Especially if the patient is on aranesp or epo which forces the formation of new blood cells. This will also artificially lower the a1c as there are proportionatly more new rbcs. Cora

Hootyowl2 responded:
Hmm... interesting. I have chronic anemia also... it may make symptoms hard to distinguish too... Hooty

wisgirl87 responded:
I was asking because I am pretty severely anemic right now my Iron level is 19. I have noticed that my blood sugar numbers have been a little off. I've tried doing a search about it but i can't find much about this on the internet. My doctors are still trying to figure out why I'm anemic as my Iron levels keep getting lower, so please pray for me as well. Thankyou, Therese

arealgijoe responded:
About 3-4 monts back, my kidney function peeked, from being at a low point, my a1c then was about 6.3 or 6.4. Last week I had my follow-up Neph apt and my a1c was great, 5.9, but my kdney function took a hard hit (my opinion) and lost all the gains I made last year. Wonder if that was related? My Vit-D is back up, after taking massive doses since last fall, so stopped that, for now. My B12 level has not been checked in ages & I have not taken B-12 shots for many years. My docs know about my anemia history, but are not concerned or bother. Another Q Cora, Can anemia affect spot checks, home glucometer as well as a1c? (*&*( GOMER .

rubystar2 responded:
Anemia will not affect the A1c. It is calculated taking the hemoglobin into consideration.

Hootyowl2 responded:
Nice to know it doesnt affect one's A1c readings... I always keep my cyber friends in my prayers. I hope they find the cause of your anemia and can fix it. Chronic anemia is a family trait in my family. However, my sister had hers go so low, she had to have blood transfusions. They found a bleeding ucler in her duodenum and treated that. She still has to take iron supplements. I am on ferrous gluconate twice daily. Cant take the sulfate version. Perhaps you need a different supplement so your body can use it. Hooty

wisgirl87 responded:
My doctors are already thhinking about a blood transfusion or iron through an IV, I hope it doesn't come down to that. I'll let all of you know what happens, I hope to find something out tommorow. Thankyou for the Prayers, Therese

MrsCora01 responded:
Rubystar - actually the drugs to correct anemia will affect the a1c. They force the new creation of hemoglobin and red blood cells. Because there are a significant number of new ones, they have less time than a "normal" hemoglobin to collect sugar. This artificially lowers the a1c. Cora

rubystar2 responded:
MrsCora, I believe you are probably right about the drugs used to treat anemia affecting the A1c. The original questions was can anemia (I assumed in itself) affect the A1c. And wisgirl, I would definitely use transfusion ONLY as a last resort. Ask your doctor to give you a week or two of iron supplements and see if that increases your hemoglobin. That is if your hemoglobin is not DANGEROUSLY low like a 6.0 or something like that. An extremely low hemoglobin puts a serious strain on the heart, which tries very hard to pump blood faster to get oxygen circulated throughout your body. Or if you are dizzy or passing out upon walking around.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.