Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pre diabetes
clk5675 posted:
I recently had my fasting and A1C1 levels taken the fasting level was 108 and the A1C1 was 6.2. My Dr. said that was pre diabetes. She also said I could control this by losing weight. I have started to do this. I also started to monitor my blood levels. The morning fasting levels are good this morning it was 88. The levels after eating are not so good. They have ranged from 140- 180. 2 hours after I finished eating. My Dr. did give me a script for Metoform,(sp) which I have not filled. I was wondering with the levels during the day being that high if it would be a good idea to take the meds. until I can get my weight down. I just don't want my body or mind to depend on pills. Cheryl

rubystar2 responded:
That is a very personal and individual decision. I am on metformin and Byetta and am working towards losing weight, increasing my exercising and changing the way I eat. My numbers are coming down but for now I choose to continue with my meds. If you can get your two hour post prandial to stay at 140 or less, I would say try it without the meds. The 180 could be starting to cause some damage, though.

auriga1 responded:
As ruby said, it's a very personal decision. If it were ME, see if you can talk with a nutritionist to help with a meal plan and daily caloric intake. The most important things regarding sugar levels is to monitor the amount of carbs (and type) one eats during any given day. It's important in keeping sugar levels steady throughout the day. Your 2-hr. post-prandial ranges from normal to high. For a diabetic, the 2-hour post-prandial should be 140 and under after each meal. It shouldn't go up during the day unless you are snacking on carbs between meals or eating the wrong type of carbs. If you can avoid the medication by cutting carb content within the day and upping your exercise along with losing some weight, you may need not the medication at all. Exercise has been proven to be very beneficial in lowering blood sugars. See if you can incorporate it into your daily life; walking, bicycling, swimming, water aerobics (very easy on the joints), treadmill, anything! See if you can keep a food journal. Write down the amounts and types of food and drink at each meal. Do it each day for at least a week and bring it up to your doctor. Before prescribing a medication, you should have been given a diet and exercise plan. I do not like the idea of prescribing a med without giving you suggestions that there might be a better alternative. Diet and exercise can do the same without medication for many people. If I could do it without the medication, I would, regardless of how much weight one needs to lose. See if your doctor can recommend a nutritionist or dietician for you. If not, talk to others in your area. There are many folks on this board who have lost weight and lowered their blood sugars without medication. Try it first.

DavidHueben responded:
Cheryl: With the A1C at 6.2% and your fasting glucose at 108, you are likely classified as "pre-diabetic" or glucose intolerant. Some physicians are very aggressive at treating "pre-diabetes" with Metformin as well as improved nutrition and exercise. I tend to agree with that approach. As Ruby said, that is a personal decision to be made between you and your doctor. If you are able to lose the excess weight, then you can always discontinue the Metformin with your doctor's approval. That is exactly what I was able to do. Metformin can cause some GI distress during the first few weeks of usage, but that most often goes away. It is a safe and effective medication. Your body will not become dependent upon it. David

xring responded:
David, here is a quote from Dr. Dansinger's blog. It would seem to indicate that putting a pre diabetic on medication immediately would not be a good idea. I'm not sure if it means someome can "become dependent upon it." "If the diabetes is too far advanced or if you have been on diabetes medication for too long, the diabetes might not be fully reversible, or may quickly relapse."

Rzrbkgy responded:
CLK 5675, Dr Dansinger who is a medical consultant on this board has had several post's that addresses your very questions , I would suggest going to his threads and reading them!

DavidHueben responded:
Thank you for providing the quote from Dr. Dansinger's blog. It is certainly one doctor's opinion. I am almost certain that there are other physicians that might be more aggressive in treating "pre-diabetes" with modest dosages of Metformin in conjunction with better nutrition and exercise. I don't believe either Dr. Dansinger's medical opinion or the opinion of other physicians is necessarily definitive. For example, Dr. Anne Peters (who you have cited before as one of your posts) considers any post-prandial blood glucose level above 140 to be problematic. Other physicians adhere to the "treatment goals" objective of below 180. As in all professions, there is plenty of room in the tent for different opinions. David

xring responded:
Yes, I have read about the post-prandial treatment goal of below 180, but that comes from the "American Diabetes Association." I have never heard a physician recommend that.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.