Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
dibetic shortness of breath
cheryllynn37 posted:
anyone else out there that has diabetes have shortness of breath? Like you have been running and trying to catch your breath? I am like this all the time, with a racing heart and pulse. It stayed around 130 when i was just lying down. My doc didnt run any tests on my heart or lungs, just put me on atenolol to slow my heart rate and pulse. it worked for a while, now its back and i constantly feel like im outa breath. I do not have ashtma, my kids do, so i know the symptoms. I have tried albuterol inhaler and nebulizer and they do not help. I am not currently on any meds for my sugar as the last one, metformin made me really sick. I have to see the doc again regarding this and he is out for a hip replacement til next month. I cant go to anoher doc, i have no insurance, he is at the state hospital so its free for me. Just wondered if it could be the diabetes or if anyone else out there had this symptom. thanks!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

amanda2581 responded:
Cheryl, I have posted about this subject before and was called on the carpet for what my dr. did for it.I told my dr, I was haveing these shortness of breath episode,s and she increased my blood pressure med,s and I imediatlly felt better,I would just being laying in bed and get a shortness of breath ,She explained it like this ,If your blood pressure is not right and my med was not right it will cause this shortness of breath I could not even go for a walk.Well she doubled my metapropel from 50mgs, twice a day to 100mgs. twice a day,And I no longer have these episodes,I can go for walks and do my exercise,s with better breathing,I also had a chest xray and i had a heart doppler about two years ago,Hope this helps ,I also go to a teaching state hosp.so I know what you are talking about,I have a lot of good drs, gastric and psych, and my pcp,I like pretty much,slipper

xring responded:
Hi, Cheryllynn,

Yes, I have what feels like shortness of breath & a pounding heart & a shaky, hypoglycemic feeling most of the time even with normal blood sugar. Also constant hunger - as if I haven't eaten for several days - even right after a meal. Sometimes it's accompanied by a tight, constricted feeling in my chest. It does not seem to affect my exercise at all.

At my last visit in 4-08, my endocrinologist said it's because my body is used to high blood sugar (I was 491 at diagnosis in 12-08) & now it thinks it's starving. A diabetes educator at my class gave me a similar explanation, saying "Your cells are starving for sugar." It's worse on some days than others. My doctor said not to treat BS around 80 to let my body get used to that as a normal blood sugar. I've experienced a couple of lows (57 & 66), so I'm afraid to not treat an 80. For me, anything under 100 is dangerous because I tend to drop quickly at that point. My BS doesn't behave the same way every day even with the same food & exercise.

I also stopped taking medication after becoming sick from it & my "doctor" wouldn't return any of my calls to change medication. I changed doctors & my second doctor wouldn't see me unless I paid him another $1,200.00 to repeat the labs I just had 15 DAYS AGO. I've been doing fine so far controlling my blood sugar with diet & exercise.

I also have no medical insurance & am not insurable because of "preexisting condition" (diabetes).

It sounds like your doctor treated your symptoms with medication without finding out what the cause was.

rubystar2 responded:
Are you sure your blood glucose levels have been under control? Are you a type 1 or type2 diabetic? Some diabetics can get some laboured breathing if their blood glucose levels have been out of control for a while.

cheryllynn37 responded:
my shortness of breath started a few yrs ago and then i found out i was a type 2 diabetic. no, my sugar is not under control, the meds-glyburide, gluophoge (metformin) make me extremely ill so i stopped taking them, my doc is out and not back til next month, i cant get into to see the other doc, so i am trying to get him to refer to the diabetic clinic. My sugar is running about 300-360. i am completelty lethargic, exhausted and cant not breath, cant even run errands bc of this, i can walk to the car an back, im drenched in sweat and cant catch by breath. i just ddint know if it could be related to diabetic an high sugar. im in jepordy of losin my job b/c i cant function, i cant get out of bed in the morning, i cant breath, i feel like im going to die. hopefully, when i talk to the nurse tomorrow at my doc office, i can get the referral to the diabetic clinic so they can find a med that will get my sugar under control. im still trying to figure out how u eat for this disease and count carbs and all that, its very confusing. this disease is dragging me down and killing me. i know i need to change my eating habits and excercsise but who can go for a walk when you cant breath after u just walk upstairs to your bedroom! thaks for your input everyone!

rubystar2 responded:
I wonder if you are in diabetic ketoacidosis and you are having kussmaul respirations.

A trip to the emergency room might be a good idea for you, I think. Impaired breathing is really nothing to mess around with.

teddybear200 responded:
I agree a trip to the ER sounds good. Just giving someone pills without tests to find out whats wrong doesn't make sense to me.

Shortness of breath with rapid heart rate or racing is nothing to play with - I know I have both a lung problem and a diaphragm problem.

If your sugars are not in control - all kind of things can happen to you - you should have this checked out.

xring responded:
Hi again, Cheryllynn,

I didn't realize your blood sugars were that high. I didn't feel much different at 491 in 12-08 than I feel now with normal blood sugar.

I can suggest you check out a dietary/program that worked for me & got my BS under control in a few days without medication & also helped me lose 26 lbs. I haven't taken any medication since 1-8-09. (www.drfuhrman.com).

I have researched several diabetes reversal programs & the main theme in most of them is a reduction in dietary fat, (mainly saturated fat from meat & dairy products), avoiding dried fruit or fruit juice (except for treating lows) & low glycemic foods (raw fruits & vegetables & beans) along with daily exercise.

MockBe responded:
Don't wait....go to the e.r. It sounds very serious. Please go and let us know later how you are.

Rich

amanda2581 responded:
Hi!! it,s slipper again I did not relize your number,s are that high and your shortness of breath and tiredness,was that bad , By all mean,s go to the ER, I agree with everyone your number,s are very high I bet you will need to be put on insulin it is what I changed from metformin/glyburide it made me deathly ill a few years back,It controlled my number,s but oooooHHH!! The gastric trouble,You need some xrays and test ,I had already had all those test,That is why my dr, just raised my blood pressure med.s.You sound like you are really suffering I think a trip to the ER is in order and quick,let us know how you are doing,prayers from slipper P,S May need your Oxygen level checked mine is usually some what low but I found out that is from my dercum,s disease,

cheryllynn37 responded:
You are all so helpful and sweet, thanks for all your advice. I have been suffering for along time with all this, way too long. I just talked to the nurse at my doc office and she is trying to get me a referall to the diabetic clinic my fiance goes to. I agree, i prob do need to be put on insulin. I am also looking up a lot of info on how to change by diet which is really confusing counting carbs and all.. If i could get my numbers down and have a little energy, then i can start walking in the evenings, right now its out of the ? b/c of my shortness of breath. I plan on going to the ER this weekend as you always have to sit for hours to have tests run and i have missed alot of work so i need to work the rest of this one. Then hopefully, i cant get an appt at the diabetic clinic soon and after a trip to the ER I should be close to my spindown amount so i can get a medical card and that would pay for the insulin as well as the doc visits. i just know i have to do something, i cant keep going like this, i feel like im going to drop over any second. Thanks again for all your support, you all are an inspiration. Wish me luck!! its got to get better!

phototaker responded:
I had shortness of breath and rapid heartbeat and it was heart related. I had to go on heart medicine. Mine was more irregular heartbeats and a racing heartbeat. They had me on a halter monitor to figure this out. It's good to check this out. Some people also have panic attacks which can cause the same symptoms you're having. All these things, including your high diabetes numbers should be checked out. This is serious. I also had asthma symptoms and was on medicine for this. There's a possibility if you can learn to eat differently, that you "might" not have to take diabetesmedicine down the road. You have to work really hard to bring those bs levels down and exercise, like walking. Many people need to have the medicine to do this, but most have to watch closely AND use the medicine, too.

Also, what types of foods do you eat during the day? Are you keeping your carb levels down? Good luck and hope you feel better.

rubystar2 responded:
I wish you the very best of luck. Please hang in there and let us know how you are doing along the way this week.

cheryllynn37 responded:
I am intendng a trip to the ER this weekend to rule out any heart problems, maybe they will run some tests my doc never ordered. The nurse at my doc office is getting me refferred to a diabetic clinic also to get my sugar under control I hope to have some answers in the next few weeks. I have to wait to go grocery shoppin til the 6th of August but i am researching how to eat for this disease so i can change my diet. hopefully,i can get sugar and breathing under control, start a healthy diet and then i will feel like getting a little excersice in the evenings. Thanks for all your responses, your all so sweet and give me hope for learing how to cope with this disease. God Bless u all!

phototaker responded:
Cheryl, there are many good people on here. I've learned so much about myself through what they've gone through. We're all here to share our experiences. Sometimes it helps someone else to become more aware. I learned to ask for an a1c, which tests 3 months of my sugar numbers. I'm continually learning from everyone, even two years later.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

normal reading
My Dr. said I have diabetes my a1c level is 6.5 and wants me to take Metformin 500mg. I took my bs test and it was 103 after I ate. I have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.