Skip to content
diabetic neuropathy can be reversed
coffeelover1181721 posted:
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 1999. I was suffering from neuropathy in my hands, feet, and my ears. I found nothing that would help until 2004, I read an article about alpha lipoic acid. This is a prescription product in parts of Europe. I started with 400 mg a day and started noticing an improvement in about 3-4 months. Today I have almost no problems at all. Once in a while, if I have been eating incorrectly, I will get a signal from my big toe on my left foot. Other than that I have completely eliminated my neuropathy. I also take 2000mg of cinnamon daily as well as my two diabetic meds.

rich

nightowl41 responded:
I'll have to tell hubby about that, as he has very bad PN in his feet and now traveling to his hands. His feet are usually so numb, he can step on my foot and not even know it till I ask him to please get off my foot!

Last year he bought a footbath type thing called Rebuild, which sends electro signals thru pads you place on either your feet or hands. He has done it almost every night, and so far he has much more feeling then ever. Most insurances will pay if your Dr. prescribes it. He bought it on his own, but then his Dr. put in a claim for it, so he got at least some of the money back.

Just some food for thought that he has experienced to work. JJ

UndertheOaks responded:
this is really great information, so thank you for posting it. neuropathy is one of my biggest fears.

crawfishmonica responded:
would love to get more input on alpha lipoic acid. Input please!!!

DavidHueben responded:
I will make no judgment about the efficacy of Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) in treating diabetic peripheral neuropathy or other complications of diabetes.

I believe everyone should do their own research online and consult with their doctor before taking any supplement, including ALA. Not just rely upon the anecdotal experiences of someone on a message board.

I would point out than in some the studies, the "therapeutic" dosages of ALA were administered intravenously. Whether oral administration of ALA would be beneficial is for everyone to decide on their own.

David

gazannia07 responded:
Thank you so much for this information.

bobby15531 responded:
I want to know more about neuropathy

Anon_527 replied to bobby15531's response:
Peripheral Neuropathy:
http://www.webmd.com/brain/understanding-peripheral-neuropathy-basics

Diabetic Neuropathy:
http://diabetes.webmd.com/diabetes-neuropathy

nutrijoy replied to Anon_527's response:
One of the better articles that highlight the role and benefits of Lipoic Acid in human health is hosted on the Life Extension site : and its subsequent update article in 2011.

Although this thread is pretty old, these two articles will provide members with a fairly good background on the use of alpha lipoic acid in human health. Bear in mind that most alpha lipoic acid supplements consist of a racemic mixture (50/50) of both R- and S- isomers but only the R form is produced and used by life processes. It is also endogenously produced but as one ages, production declines markedly and supplementation becomes the best option. A dose of pure R-lipoic acid provides twice the active ingredient of the racemic R/S-alpha lipoic acid supplements, simply because the whole dose consists of the active "R" molecule instead of just 50% in the racemic mixture (R-Lipoic Acid is the type that is recommended by Dr. Bernstein in his book, The Diabetes Solution). Do keep in mind that pure R-lipoic acid costs at least twice the price of the racemic mixture so there is no price advantage of purchasing one over the other. Just keep in mind that you have to take twice as much of the R/S supplement as compared with the pure R form.

Studies have shown that supplementing with exogenous lipoic acid can adversely affect your levels of biotin so those who plan on taking alpha lipoic acid over an extended period of time should also supplement with biotin. Some brands of lipoic acid already include biotin in their formulas so read labels carefully to avoid unnecessary waste and duplication.

Personally, I supplement with 600mg of alpha lipoic acid daily (only 300mg is the active R-form) plus 5mg of biotin (the latter, if not daily, at least 4 days a week). I began using both supps when my diagnosis of diabetes was first confirmed and have been taking them steadily ever since. At the time, my endocrinologist was neutral on the use of alpha lipoic acid but is now firmly in my camp after he witnessed the beneficial results I had obtained; specifically, complete recovery from foot drop syndrome/neuropathy which I was suffering from at the time he confirmed my diagnosis of diabetes ... which included a battery of neurological tests.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.