Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bad Temper!!
MickiVK posted:
I am pre-diabetic and doing well with exercise and weight loss. My most serious issue is wake up BS that is higher than it should be (never below 100, usually 105-115) But I am finding that my emotions are all over the map!! I seem very quick to get angry, and am more emotional that the situation seems to call for (crying easily, yelling). I am not taking any medications for diabetes so it's not that. Could blood sugar variations be causing my emotional roller coaster, or am I just turning into a cranky old lady?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

flutetooter responded:
This is a problem for me too. I actually talked to a licensed counselor about it and she said this was natural, as I was learning to cope with a serious and possibly life-threatening disease. You are putting your health at a higher priority by necessity, and this means not having the time or energy to deal with life's trivial happenings. If it helps, schedule a 5 minute "pity party" early in the morning and pour out your frustrations to yourself. Then think how lucky you were to discover this and be able to prevent the heart problems and amputations and nerve damage that would have happened because of your genetics if you did not find out that you were diabetic. It takes a lot of time and effort, but it does get better. Important note -- your friends will NOT understand, so it is a good thing to share your thoughts with this board who have been there!

xring responded:
Hi, MickiVK, Your wake-up BS is NOT higher than it should be. Who told you it was? One of the treatment goals for a diabetic is a fasting BS of 80-130. Yes, some "milld" diabetics may wake up under 100 but we're not carbon copies of each other, which is why there is a 50-pt. range. Also, keep in mind that our meters have a 15% error range which means a 115 can actually be a 98 or a 132. I've noticed that some diabetics mistakenly consider their AM numbers to be some sort of a competition with each other,,,lowest number wins. That's ridiculous. I also wake up between 110-125 & don't take medication. My doctor says that's fine. How well you're doing is decided by other factors besides your fasting BS such as your average post prandial & your A1c, how much fat is in your diet (especially saturated fat), weight, cholesterol, getting enough exercise, blood pressure, etc. I, too have noticed since my diagnosis in 12-08 that little things sometimes make me angry quickly. I'm not sure if it's blood sugar variations or just having to deal with the inconvenience of a nuisance disease, added to lifes other stressors.

MickiVK responded:
The nutritionist my insurance sent me to indicated that I needed to "try harder" to get my AM reading down, but she had no specific actions I could take. Since my Jan 09 diagnosis, I have lost 42 pounds and am almost enjoying walking 3 miles each day. So at least I have some positive results. Eating properly is very difficult, but I am learning every day. I am very new to this, so I am hoping that sharing with other people in the same boat will get me responses beyond the preprinted notebook from the insurance. Just reading the topics on this board has been very helpful. I don't see my doctor for another 3 months and until then I will visit here often.

phototaker responded:
Is there a "possibility" it could be menopause symptoms or are you very young?

dustnbones99 responded:
I've heard people complain that high bs makes them feel cranky or overly emotional but by high i mean in the over 200 range. Your bs doesn't sound at all high to me. I think it's easy to blame everything on diabetes once you get the diagnosis.

xring responded:
Hi, Dustnbones, Since my diagnosis in 12-08, I've only had two BS readings in the 200 range (208 & 210). They did make me cranky, but only because I was disappointed in MYSELF at having eaten things I shouldn't have & also because I was "forced" to exercise immediately to bring it down when I didn't feel like exercising. I've heard some people say they get cranky with high BS, but at diagnosis, my BS was 491 & I'm sure it was higher than that before diagnosis. My mood was not different than it is now. In fact, I didn't feel very different physically either - the only symptom that disappeared with normal BS was the constant thirst & drinking.

phototaker responded:
I've actually witnessed someone who had LOW bs and she was very mean to a child in front of me. We were caught on this bus, and she had no snacks with her. She got very cranky. Is this what you're talking about?

Michael_Dansinger_MD responded:
I doubt your mood swings are due to blood sugar fluctuations, simply because the glucose levels would not be fluctuating very severely. You're not on medication that would cause low glucose levels, and you are not in an advanced stage of diabetes that would cause glucose levels well over 200 mg/dL. It is common to be cranky during the first year after being diagnosed with diabetes or prediabetes, simply due to the frustration of being diagnosed with a chronic medical problem. Part of the "stages of grief" including anger and eventually acceptance. Naturally there are many additional reasons for crankyness. One of our jobs in life is to fix what we can and accept what we can't. You are right to do whatever you can to minimize your diabetes risk by getting in shape, eating right and exercising, rather than denying or ignoring the problem. It is frustrating when life conspires to get in the way of fixing the problem. It's hard to eat right and exercise, even when you know how. It's also frustrating when there's nobody available to show you what to do to eat right and exercise, or when the opinions are contradictory. I encourage you to check out my blog here on WebMD "Conquering Diabetes" to learn more about normalizing your blood sugars without medication. Michael Dansinger, MD

xring responded:
Photo, I realize different people may have different symptoms of a low, but after having 2 bad lows, I doubt someone would be mean to a child or to anyone due to a low. With the terrible symptoms that came with my lows (rapid, pounding heart, sweating, uncontrollably-shaking hands, & the feeling that I was about to die), I just can't see someone having the energy to be mean. I'd say the person you saw was likely mean to the child on a regular basis - whether they were high or low.

amanda2581 responded:
Mickivk, if you want to see mood swings anger and depression,Come on over to my house,I get very snappy if my number,s are low,That is usually my first symptom,s.If they are high ,I feel very tired like my blood is not giveing me no energy,Depression is constantly for me juggeling 3 disease,s.and menopause,My morning numbers are under 140 so I am happy ,I am also happy I woke up to another gloriouse day on God,s earth!! If it keep,s happening ask your dr,to do a serotin level and thyroid.If you don,t find any other reason,you are haveing problem,s.Don,t let them slap you on any antidepressant until you have had your body chemicals checked out through blood test.And see a therapist also first,I was slapped on paxil 12 year,s ago I will always be on it ,They control my panick attacks but that is all .I still get depressed and anger out burst,s,And now I am on welbutrin, for the energy it is suppose to give ,and colonapin for the nervouseness from the welbutrin, So in my opinon I would think before medicateing .talk to a thereapist,Hope this helps,slipper :smile:

rubystar2 responded:
Xring, I beg to disagree. Diabetics on a low can become angry, defensive and beligerant. I work with a lady who would often get lows before she got her pump. When she got low, sometimes as low as 30, she was quite combative and would refuse to eat anything and would be mad at us for 'making a scene' over her. When we finally convinced her to eat and her glucose would return to normal she would apologize. She would act like an 'angry drunk' when her glucose was low. This was my first understanding of why police officers sometimes mistake a diabetic with a low glucose for a drunk. My co-worker's words would become slurred, she would stumble and argue. It truly was like she was drunk.

MickiVK responded:
I thought I was through with menopause, but you may be right. Hopefully this is just a combination of menopause and the stress of dealing with pre-diabetes and just life in general.

dfoelker responded:
I agree with you Rubystar, when I get low I get really ill tempered. On the other hand, the highs don't bother me and I don't notice them so much. But I get really, really snappy and mean with a low and that is because I get scared and I feel like I am going to die and it pisses me off that I have to deal with this disease at times. Usually it is not convient when I get lows and that doesn't help either. I'm ok today though!! :grin:

dustnbones99 responded:
I agree that lows can make a person more then just a little cranky. i used to work with a woman who frequently had lows in the 30-40 range. She would bite, kick and punch anyone who tried to help her. It got to the point where everyone in the office would run when she started to act confused.

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.