Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Sensa--%22Sprinkle Diet%22?
Michael_Dansinger_MD posted:
Over a year ago WebMD wrote about a medical doctor who reported at a medical conference average weight losses of 30 pounds in his patients who used "Tastants" sprinkled on all their food.

www.webmd.com/diet/news/20080616/no-calorie-seasonings-help-lose-weight?page=2

According to this doctor, "tastants" are odorless, tasteless, non-calorie substances that reduce hunger when sprinkled onto food. He claims it works this way:

"Scents from Sensa Tastants travel through your nose to nerve receptors. The receptors send signals to the brain that stimulate the olfactory bulb. The olfactory bulb, in turn, signals the satiety center in the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus sends signals to the pituitary gland that triggers the release of hormones that suppress hunger and appetite."

www.trysensa.com/

I find this to be plausible, but I'm rather sceptical that it works as well as he says. If his claim is true it is a very important finding, but I'd like more evidence. His website links to an "independent placebo-controlled study" that looks encouraging, but not peer-reviewed or published in a medical journal.

One of my patients bought a starter kit, but wants to know more before proceeding.

Has anyone tried "Sensa" or know anyone who has tried it?

Michael Dansinger, MD

missy99687 responded:
No, I'm not familiar with it - I probably wouldn't be either, except in just being curious - I have no need to loose weight - I must gain it.

phototaker responded:
No, sorry, Dr. Dansinger. I've lost 38 1/2 pounds just doing diet and exercise and nothing else. In fact, my exercise really started 3 1/2 weeks ago, and I'm losing more now....the 3 1/2 pounds.

wolffin responded:
nutritionunplugged.com/2009/09/sensa-smells-fishy-to-me/ found this article on it

Isk8ermum responded:
I have just started the Sensa diet. I haven't noticed the scale going down but my fasting blood sugar has been much better in the morning. I don't know if this is related to the Sensa in any way or just because I seem to eat less.

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
I'm just following up on my previous curiosity about SENSA.
Has anyone tried this weight loss product, or know someone who has? If so, what were the results?

Debsbears replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
Nope have not tried it for a couple of reasons - 1) it is very costly. I checked into it way back when they started telling us about it a 2 month supply was about 99.00. 2) I am maintaining my weight by diet alone still 150 at 5.6..
Dr. D. have you tried it? They now have Sensa for Men. But from your picture you don't look like you need to lose weight.

BTW - you ask for me to update you on my health did you read it "New Development on my health (OT)"? You could make your comments on that one, thanks.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

brunosbud responded:
Every time the drug companies try to pull one over Mother Nature
they crash and burn. It's beautiful. They've gotten so sick of getting bitten in the ass, their new idea is, "let's make drugs that come from human cells, itself"? Monolclonal Antibodies!

There is a reason why when we eat bad food and sit on our butts all day our body turns against us...

Its telling us, "Stop doing that".

laura2gemini2 replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
When I saw the commercials for the product, the first thing that came to mind is "most people dont stop eating when they are sated. They eat until they are overly full". I know I was guilty of eating till I felt completely full until I learned how to slow down while eating and catch the "I'm done" feeling.

I think sensa probably wouldnt work for the majority of the people who tried it. I havent tried it myself (super $$$).

JennAW responded:
I had switched to Sensa as my sugar substitute, but all of the artificial sweeteners are now leading to Fibromialgia. I am in the process of looking for other ingredients to use instead of the substitutes. I have already found some for salt. These are things such as a mixture of herbs, spices, etc. If you find anything for sugar, please let me know! I love trying new and better alternatives to the current sweeteners, salts, etc.

rohvannyn replied to JennAW's response:
Regarding the sugar substitutes, have you treid Stevia? It is great for use in liquids and is fairly natural.

JennAW replied to rohvannyn's response:
Sorry that I'm just now getting back to you. I have been in and out of the hospital. I will definitely look in to Stevia. What kind of a store would I find this in? Health store or OTC pharmacy? Im not sure where to look for it.

Justhealthier replied to JennAW's response:
JennAW - You can buy Stevia at Wal-Mart, PickNSave, just about anywhere now a days. I have seen it at Target the other day. You will find this in the isle with the sugars.
Always appreciate the small things in life - Julie

rohvannyn replied to Justhealthier's response:
I get mine at Kroger (Fry's grocery store) for about $2.49 for 40 packets or $3.99 for 80 when it's not on sale. It's about $5 for 40 packets at the local Sprouts, ha ha! I get the store brand replacement for Truvia and find it to be very nice. It doesn't mess up my blood sugar and tastes pretty good. Some people find it bitter but I don't.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.