Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can kidney damage be reversed?
iesa64 posted:
i was diagnosed with type 2 in '04. My glucose levels are usually high. I do take my meds but i don't watch my diet to well. For lack of medical insurance, i've not seen a doctor in a long time until recently. I had some lab work done and i was told my protien levels in my urine were very high, a sign of kidney damage. Is there anything i can take or do to remedy this, or reverse it?

merski responded:
Boy I don't know if the damage can be reversed but I found that eating the Bernstein/Dansinger way has really made a difference with my A1C! You might want to read the blogs Dr. Dansinger has placed here on Web MD and /or visit Dr. Bernstein's website and get his book. I read the book first then found this site and it really has made a difference in the way I have been eating. Good luck to you!!

arealgijoe responded:
Lisinopril, for blood pressure can help. There are other drugs that can also help, they helped mine for a while but my CKD is in another decline and hit a new low last month. Reducing protien can help, as well as limiting eggs & dairy. One problem is what is good for CKD may not be so good for diabetes etc. One problem is how "high" is high? That can be a big factor. The kidney board has John over there he is very knowledgeable and helpfull. (*&( GOMER

MrsCora01 responded:
While kidney damage can't be reversed, it can be slowed or even halted. Cutting back on salt is very important. Also, cutting back on animal protein (if you eat an awful lot) will also help take pressure off the kidneys. As JD said too, an ACE inhibitor blood pressure med like Lisinopril can also help is slowing or stopping the continuation of damage. You need to get a 24 hour urine test with accompanying blood work to find out exactly how significant the damage is. Of course, keeping blood glucose normal will help as well. Cora

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.