Skip to content
insulin expires????
beautifulcindy_23 posted:
hello :grin: my name is cynthia and I have type 1 diabetes. just recently i have been trying to take care or my diabetes on my own injecting insulin that I already have not knowing it had an EXPIRATION DATE?? I was in shock... :ooh: so now my belly is starting to hurt me but some how it still gets the job done of lowering my insulin. The question to you is "Is it safe to use expired insulin( 04/19/2008)??" :sad: please get back to me asap... thank you

finnsgrammy1938 responded:
My DH is on Lantus. The box says do not use after it has been opened after 30 days so even if there is some left, I toss it. Does it lose its effectiveness if used after 30 days? I would think that you would go to the Dr and not try to do it on your own.

rubystar2 responded:
That insulin is well over a year expired. I would not use it.

auriga1 responded:
That is really an old insulin. The longest it might last would be 30 days from the expiration date. IMO, I think you're really taking a risk using such an old insulin.

feelinghigh responded:
No, it's not safe to be using expired insulin because it looses it's potency after 30 days. Also, you're putting yourself at risk for DKA if you are Type I! And, if your belly is hurting you, you might already be in DKA.

HERROYALEVILNESS responded:
Beyond the fact that it's probably useless at this point, I'd be afraid of what might be growing in that insulin solution. Ewwwwww. (sorry, I'm a germ-o-phobe) But seriously, there could be some harmful bacteria brewin' in there. Again.....ewwwww. :sealed:

HERROYALEVILNESS responded:
What's "DKA?"

DavidHueben responded:
DKA is an acronym for diabetic ketoacidosis. You can read about it at the following WebMD link: b diabetes.webmd.com/tc/diabetic-ketoacidosis-dka-topic-overview David

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.