Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
no insurance no insulin
confusedaboutitall posted:
:chagrin: I have a job that doesn't have insurance available for everyone, im one of the uninsured. The cost to go to a clinic in insane they nickle and dime you to death, I recently went to get a check up and some insulin and the cost of the strips for the glucometers is outrageous. My health is suffering from this and if anyone knows of a reasonable meter with reasonable testing strip prices please let me know. I also have never been told what my ac's were so I have no idea. Any advice is welcomed.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

DavidHueben responded:
I use an Accu-Chek Active meter and have done so for almost five years. The meters are about $18.00 and the strips are about $29.00 for a vial of 50. There are also meters available from Wal-Mart (the Reli-On brand). The meters and strips are reasonably priced and seem to work OK. If you are not receiving your lab results, the ball in in your court. You need to ask for a printed copy of your labs. I receive one each time I see my doctor every quarter. David

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Here is information on Diabetes Care/Financial Help for Diabetes: diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/financialhelp/ Users of the LifeScan One Touch, and Abbott Precision Xtra, and Freestyle blood glucose meters may be eligible for reduced-priced meters and test strips. Contact TogetherRX Access for more information, or by calling 1-800-444-4106. Some diabetes medications are also available at a reduced rate through this program. www.togetherrxaccess.com/Tx/jsp/home.jsp www.needymeds.org/copay_diseases.taf?_function=summary&disease_eng=Diabetes You may be interested in checking out the Partnership for Prescription Assistance. Their mission is to ?help qualifying patients who lack prescription coverage get the medicines they need through the public or private program that?s right for them. Many will get them free or nearly free.? Wal*Mart, Target, Walgreens, CVS, Meijer and Fred Myers all have over 300 prescriptions available for around $4.00 for a 30 day supply, and some as low as $10.00 for a 90 day supply.

arealgijoe responded:
As of Jan 1st my wife's ins will no long cover ANYTHING diabetes related. That includes insulin, meters, strips and suplies. Instead of excluding pre-existing condiions they simply dis-allow diabetes expenses. Dr visits MIGHT be partly covered....its a GUTTTED mess, or so I am told. I use and LOVE the wal-mart meter & strips and now NO CODE needed...hip hip hooray! GOMER

faynctarheel responded:
Email me at nctarheel101@yahoo.com I might be able to help you out. I'm a type 1 so I know what it is like having to spend money just to keep the BG under control with limited funds. SRD

nightingail3 responded:
Hi Confused. If you have a Kroger Grocery store in your area, check with their pharmacy. My meter was free with a special coupon at the time, but the test strips are less than 17.00 for 50. Its called WaveSense. Good luck!

misssharona responded:
I have insurance but not prescription insurance. I purchase my insulin from Walmart, a brand called Relion, and I pay 24.88 per bottle. I purchase my test strips from healthwarehouse.com at 28.00 per 50 count. It is so important that you test your blood sugars. I use a One Touch Ultra 2, which is a great brand. Unfortunately, I had to purchase it, which I believe was 42.00 at the time. Healthwarehouse.com also carries glucometers. Best of luck to you!

kat825 responded:
I am currently not working and have no insurance...but I found out that through Walgreen's if you join their prescription club the medicine i take is only about $9.99 for a 90 day supply. Also if you purchase store brand items you get a 10% discount . So when i purchased my glucometer, I purchased one of the Walgreen's machines, they make a few different styles....I asked the sales associate for help to figure out which one of the meters had the cheapest strips and we came up with one that runs me about $55.00 for 100 strips and the machine was $17.00 but had a rebate by mail, plus in the Diabetes Magazine that Walgreen's puts out there was an additional coupon... I suggest you check into the large stores in your area that have pharmacy departments or the large chain pharmacies like Walgreen's to see what they can offer you...I know life would be easier with insurance but don't let your health suffer... also check web sites to see if you can qualify for any other free items...I have gotten a few cookbooks and meal planners through many of the sites... and when you say ac do you mean the A1C...check places in you area...i was lucky to get mine rechecked at Walgreen's ...they were running a day on Diabetes Awareness and they were checking that for anyone along with blood sugars...just ask around and keep your eyes open sometimes you can find just what you need!!!!!

Hootyowl2 responded:
Hi, Another option is through the companies that make your insulin. They have patient assistance programs. The Human Resources person in your doctor's office can help with the paperwork for that. Maybe there is a free clinic near you that you could try? I went to one while I was waiting for my disability to come through, they were very nice. Also, some clinics base their fees on your income. Check around your area to find out what is available. Some doctors also have free samples for low income/no insurance patients. Ask yours. Hooty

amykt2004 responded:
I'm in the same boat...I found test strips at walmart....Reli On the meter is $9.00 and the small box 25 strips is $10...50 strips $20...100 strips $39 they are the cheapest I have found. They are easy to use, and the meter is small, even with the case I have no problem getting it in my purse. My biggest problem is the insulin...When I call the dr. office for samples the nurses are now telling my I can't rely on them as my only source of insulin, but I can't afford $200 for the prescription they gave me. Any way I hope the info helps...

HERROYALEVILNESS responded:
I think it blows that a health insurance company can deny coverage for a valid and potentially life threatening health condition. Having said that, I'd urge you to talk to your primary care physician. It's no secret that most pharmaceutical companies send their drug reps into doctor's offices on a regular basis with "samples." Personally I refuse them when offered because my insurance has a script rider, and I'm always afraid that I'd be taking something that will have a minimal impact on my pocket away from someone with no perscription coverage who would end up paying full price at a pharmacy. My perscription print outs always show the full dollar value of that particular medication, and I'm already starting to panic about how much they'll cost me when (if) I retire and that's eons away. It makes good business sense to pass these samples on to the doctors who will distribute them to their patients and then write scripts for them too. It makes equally good business sense to for these drug companies to ensure that all patients, dispite their ability to pay, have access to their products. I believe that most pharmaceutical companies have a certain percentage earmarked for situations such as yours. Good luck!!!!

5678go responded:
The Walmart brand glucometer and strips are probably one of the best prices that I know of. I found out the other day that you can buy insulin and syringes from Walmart without a prescription. Just tell the parmacist what you need. I got syringes ( the walmart brand) for 12.48 and they work just as good as the others I have been using. I priced their brand of insulin that I use at $24 something. The other brand that I have been using at Costco is 44.50. I have not tried their Novolin N insulin yet but will when I need it again. If you have gone to get your A1C checked then call the office or lab and get the results even if you have to go and sign a release of info to get it. There are some options out there but you have to dig for them and be proactive for yourself. You can even check with the drug companies for help. I also use to get strips and lancets on ebay for less than the stores. It is expensive but take it easy since stress also makes diabetes worse. Good Luck :lightsmile:

toomanycabs responded:
I'm not a fan of big box stores, BUT: Find a Costco or Walmart (or a chain grocery) and get one of their meters and matching test strips. DO NOT get a "no code meter" ---- they cost more and the strips cost way more. You will get a new coding chip in every box of new strips each time you buy. Simply take the existing chip out of the meter and replace it with the new one from the new test strip box. That's all there is to it. Go to a clinic and get an A1c blood test. Ask for a written copy or the results. It will have a numerical value (range) for 'normal' and out of range ; ie HIGH. If it's white ---- DON'T EAT IT !

ivy4u responded:
Knowing what your AICs are is probably a good starting point. Once you have that you will know what all you will need as far as insulin and/or oral medication. I use a One Touch meter. Our clinic has a diabetes education center and they were able to give me a voucher for a free meter. I go to Hy-Vee and get my test strips for for 50 test strips I only pay $10. My doctor has also advised me that there are financial assistance programs for insulin. I was eligible for Sanofi-aventis Patient assistance program and I get my insulin for free through them. I also get my oral diabetes medication for free through them. They send me a 90-day supply at one time. You should check into this program. It seems fairly easy to get approved. Their number is 1-800-221-4025.

flutetooter responded:
Dear confused, I notice that there is a lot of good information here that would help you begin to take care of yourself. I also notice that you have not yet responded to any of it or to your post on weight loss. The first place to begin in any health care change for the better, is with a positive attitude that YOU CAN DO IT! These people can help you a lot with ideas, but you must eat properly, exercise, test you blood sugar, and get regular medical advise that you are willing to follow. Ultimately, it all depends on you and if you are willing to put forth the effort. Please believe that you are worth the effort! No where in any book on diabetes does it mention wishful thinking, adversity to the idea of exercising, ignorance of your blood sugar levels, or free supplies from heaven as the gateway to good health. Everybody here struggles with issues of one kind or another, but all are dedicated to achieving better health, whatever effort it takes. Please let us help you to help yourself. You CAN do it!

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.