Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Driving car/neuropathy problems
sue195521703 posted:
In everything I read online, I see nothing about what to do when one has problems driving with peripheral neuropathy. All I read are tips on caring for ones feet, prescriptions, etc., but nothing on how to manage. I am a 53 year old woman, employed full time, have a commute (which is killing me), and am on 600 mg of Lyrica a day, 80 units of Lantus insulin twice a day and 40 units of Humalog insulin. It has gotten dangerous for me to drive the distance that I am. Today, I had to pull off the road. I cannot handle my car properly on wet roads. I can't feel the pressure that you have to exert on the car pedals. I'm now having problems just walking. What are other people's experiences with this situation? What kind of medications are you on? I welcome any comments.

LJAndieRNP responded:
Hello, This is, as I am sure you are aware, a very serious problem. As I am not your health care provider I can't make recommendations about your care. I can tell you that neuropathy symptoms can sometimes be improved by very tight blood sugar control that involves exercise, weight loss, and perhaps additional medications. Many people feel that they cannot exercise because of the pain they experience, but I believe that they can't afford not to. Your insulin doses suggest that you are insulin resistant, that means that your body has a hard time using the insulin that it receives from any source. Insulin resistance makes it very hard to control blood sugars. The only way to improve this resistance is through weight loss and exercise that both helps the weight loss and increases muscle. This is because muscle has more insulin receptors, and burns more calories that body fat does. Please talk to your health care provider about your ability to exercise safely and ways that you can do that. I would also make sure that there is nothing else contributing to your loss of sensation that can be improved, such as a problem with blood flow to your feet. I wish you the best with this very difficult problem.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Have you talked to your doctor about the degree your neuropathy is effecting your daily life? You need to do this as soon as possible. This WebMD video will show you how some people are dealing with neuropathy. Here is more information on Medications for Diabetic Neuropathy I encourage you to ask this on Type 2 Support Group as well.

sue195521703 responded:
Thank you for taking the time to write and for your kind words. Unfortunately, exercise does nothing. I have done pilates for a few years now with emphasis on the leg exercises. Increasing walking does nothing but put me in great pain within a few hours. With the increased insulin, that has done nothing but make me gain weight, also. You are correct that I am insulin resistant. My doctor has told me the same thing.

sue195521703 responded:
Thank you for your time and comments. The video is worthless, however. It merely brings out that the woman's doctor just gave her the diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy. It doesn't say how she is getting along. I already know what I have. The video is simply a quick overview and does nothing on a practical level. Yes, my doctor is aware of how the neuropathy has affected my driving. Other than my retiring (which I can do in a little less than two years due to my years in the Federal Government) to relieve the stress of my job position and eliminating the commute, he is out of options since I am already on high doses of insulin and am taking 600 mg of Lyrica a day. I have looked into working at home since my job can be done at home, but there are office politics and other issues whereas that is not an immediate solution. I will take your suggestion and bring up my issue in the Type 2 support group. Thank you, again, for responding.

MzKitty101 responded:
Just a thought but you might look into alternative ways to get to work. Such as carpooling with someone else, mass transit, and in some cities they have transportation services for people with limited mobility due to medical issues. And depending on income, perhaps you can pay a person to drive you?

konaavril responded:
I am wondering if you have problems with your hands as well? If not, there are simple fairly inexpensive devices that can be easily installed on your vehicle so that you can actually operate the accelerator and the brake with your hands. In Houston, Tx where I live, I know the owner of Mobility Plus. They do conversions on automobiles all the time. Perhaps you could call them and they could direct you to a business near you that could help. Best of luck!

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.