Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Long Term Effect Of Insulin?
tiamo167 posted:
I was dignosised in June with type 2 diabetes. My phyician put me on Lantus. My friends say, "Oh, you take insulin? That's too bad" What are complications and long term effects of taking insulin? Should I ask my doctor if I can control my diabetes with oral medication? My last two A1C tests were under 7.

dgarner11 responded:
I've been taking insulin for nearly 21 years and the only long term effect I've noticed is blood sugar control. your friend needs to educate themselves before making silly comments and scaring you. Do some research and ask your doctor what meds he thinks is best and if you don't like his answer get a second opinion.

auriga1 responded:
I've been using Lantus and Humalog for over three years now. The only thing I've noticed is great blood sugar control, like dgarner said. My initial A1C at diagnosis was 13.2. With the insulin usage, diet and exercise, I've brought it down to 6.0. Don't let your friends scare you. If you get good blood glucose control, that's the only thing that matters. Complications from uncontrolled diabetes is something you should keep at bay.

flutetooter responded:
It might help for you to look up the effects of insulin through your computer and then discuss this with your doctor. Some doctors have favorite ways of treating certain diseases. He might tell you why he chose this way rather than first trying diet and exercise and oral meds. Are you overweight? Could you adhere to a strict eating and exercise plan? Do some research. There is a good place to start at the top of this web site. Go back to your doctor with some information and a plan, and he may agree with you. I have read that insulin can rough up the insides of your blood vessels and in that way cause more artery disease. But definitely, having high blood sugar is even worse for your body and insulin is often necessary.

Hootyowl2 responded:
NORMAL bodies make and use insulin to control one's blood sugars. Not having enough insulin or not being able to use it is diabetes. I am on Lantus and Humalog insulins since 04 (or 05?) , no problems with it. I much prefer it over the pills as those made me deathly ill and did very little to control my blood sugars. If you have liver problems or certain other health problems the pills are NOT for you. There is NOTHING wrong with taking insulin to control your diabetes. The pills are DRUGS that mess up your liver to work. Your friends are not well informed concerning insulin and diabetes pills. I do not see how insulin could possibly mess up the insides of your arteries since it is something your body is supposed to make and use. Too high blood sugars on the other hand DO mess up the insides of your arteries and do massive organ damage. I am VERY thankful to have insulin to control my diabetes with. 100 years ago, people with diabetes usually had less than 5 years to live. Look up the history of diabetes treatments and see for yourself. Your last two A1c tests were under 7 because you are taking the Lantus insulin. Personally, I would stick with the insulin and forget the pills. I had to beg my docs for insulin and they put me on Metformin (horrible side affects and messed up my liver more ), then on Glucotrol XL--didnt help at all; they added Actos and I had more horrible reactions and was sick to my stomach constantly. My sugars were around 400 when I finally got them to give me insulin. Hooty

phototaker responded:
Also...my mom(when she was 40) went from insulin to Oranase(years ago), to diet alone and then no meds, and lastly back to insulin in her later years. Just because you start on insulin doesn't mean you'll stay on it. Just eat correctly and excercise and see what happens.

HERROYALEVILNESS responded:
I was diagnosed "pre-diabetic" about 15 months ago. Because of my family history (both parents adult onset type 2 and 2 of my 3 siblings on oral medications for blood glucose) and the fact that I'm a firm believer that knowledge is power, I'm drawn to every venue to which I have access to learn everything I can about diabetes. One of the things I did (and I highly recoomend it) was to attend an all day diabetes teaching class. One of the segments was held by a pharmacist who assured us that insulin has come a long way over the years. It's closer to what the body manufactures, and there are more options out there to better handle individual patients specific needs. Right now, my biggest concerns are that I'm still experiencing hypoglycemic episodes, but should the day ever come that I need insulin, I think I'll be more upset with myself that I wasn't able to keep the condition from progressing. Hang in there kiddo, maintaining good control of your blood glucose levels is the most important thing you can do for yourself, and insulin will help you do it.

Manoj_in_Bangalore responded:
Insulin will increase insulin resistance and will make you dependent on medications lifetime. Yes, you must switch to oral medications and stop insulin. Simultaneously, reduce your insulin resistance through diet control and exercise.

HERROYALEVILNESS responded:
What???? Question Manoj: What part of the original post leads you to believe that a licensed physician with the patient's medical history, and lab results right in front of him/her (not to mention medical training) has no idea what they're talking about? And for that matter, what are your credentials, and what did you gleen from the original post that would cause you to advise someone that their physician's decision is wrong?

auriga1 responded:
Insulin is naturally made in the human body. There are diabetics who don't normally manufacture enough human insulin to keep their numbers under control due to various reasons. Just because you can keep your diabetes under control with diet and exercise alone, doesn't mean everyone can.

cookiedog responded:
Manoj, could you please provide scientific references for your comments? I am not sure you are accurate. Thanks! Peggy

DavidHueben responded:
I believe it is wrong and potentially dangerous for anyone to suggest that someone on this board go off of their insulin (or any other medication). Especially when that person has no medical credentials, no medical training, or any knowledge of an individual's medical history or problems. Someone might believe they are getting appropriate medical "advice" and take the information literally, with disastrous results. Not even Dr. Dansinger, who is a licensed physician, is going to tell someone to make a change to their medications. It is fine to offer opinions and suggestions, but always with the caveat that each person needs to review their personal medical situation with their own doctor. David

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I am wondering if they just meant that it is too bad because it is more of a hassle because of refrigeration and needles-not because it is dangerous. Many people use insulin from childhood into their 80s. The long-term effects are in poorly controlled diabetes and of course, not watching other health risk factors which are more dangerous with long-term diabetes. (like heart, kidney) You can always ask your doctor why the decision was made the way it was and whether there is a possibility of change. If your levels at diagnosis were dangerously high-that could be the explanation. But again, never discontinue any medication without discussing it with your doctor first.

Manoj_in_Bangalore responded:
Peggy, We have had these discussions before in this forum. Please read all my posts in the past 3 months and you will find an answer. You need to conceptually understand how insulin resistance is caused, and then everything will make sense. Keep an open mind, and good luck.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.