Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Intense foot itching
JustBad posted:
I want to know if anyone is experiencing intense foot itching. It starts with a little stinging type itch. It then starts to kind of radiate the stinging and itch. The itch becomes intensified and the stinging continues until I scratch it. Even when I apply lotion to the area, the itching and stinging continues for quite a while then subsides. There have been times this itching has awaken me from sleep. I should add, it occurs in different areas. Toes, arch, heel, and ball of foot. I just wonder is this yet another diabetes related thing or what? Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, please advise me on what to do about this.

Just Bad

xring responded:
I don't know if it's diabetes related, but I just had itching in the big toe. It stopped after 3 days of applying hot water to it.

amanda2581 responded:
YES AND YES i ITCH ON THE TOPS OF MY FEET ALSO ALL OF THE BOTTOM,i HAVE SCRATCHED IN MY SLEEP AND CAUSED ULCERS ON oops sorry caps was on! the tops of my feet and lower legs.I think it is dry skin or the nuropathy in my feet I don,t know but I take benedryl if it gets too bad as directed by my dr. slipper

phototaker responded:
I'm not a doctor, but "maybe" it's neuropathy. Sometimes high sugar numbers can bring that on. You can read up on that on the web. It could also be dry skin.

An_251488 responded:
I wonder if you could try this: I get up and drink two glasses of water. In about 20 minutes, the itching stops. Maybe it doesn't work for anyone else, but it does for me. If it does work, I'd like to know.

An_251051 replied to An_251488's response:
This post is over 3yrs old and the person has never been back.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.