Skip to content
Can high blood sugar levels increase your blood alcohol content?
Sheriw1975 posted:
Thursday, 3/4/2010, I was out with my boyfriend. I had 2 beers between 8:45pm and 10:30pm, approximately. On my way home that evening, a deer ran out in front of me and I swerved to miss it and wrecked my vehicle. I was very visibly upset and crying and almost in hysterics. The officer gave me a field sobriety test and I warned him that I was a diabetic and was unable to perform what he was asking of me due to lack of stability. After I failed the tasks he asked of me, he had me perform a breathalizer test. I blew 11. I was taken to the hospital for a blood test. Monday evening I received my results from the blood test and it came back 10. My final beverage was around 10:30pm and I was drinking water and soda after that. I left around 11:15-11:30pm. I am unsure about exact times. The accident happened approximately 11:50pm. My breathalizer was approximately 12:30am and my blood test was around 1:15am-1:30am. This was nearly 3 hours after my final drink. As I stated, I was visibily upset and shaken and near hysterics. I know stress and crying increase your blood sugar levels. My question is can high blood sugar levels also increase your blood alcohol level resulting in my BAC to come back as high as it did? According to the BAC calculator I found online, for the amount of alcohol I drank, my weight and the time of consumption, my BAC should have only come back as .02% and that is some impairement. The website is http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

rubystar2 responded:
No, emotions can't increase blood alcohol level.

rubystar2 replied to rubystar2's response:
Sorry, I misinterpreted your original question. Neither high blood sugar nor stress can increase your blood alcohol level. The methodology used to test for blood alcohol levels tests specifically for ethanol aka ethyl alcohol, which is the type of alcohol in alcoholic drinks of any type.

MockBe responded:
Hi.

I don't drink at all because I get long high BS numbers like that.

Rich

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Ketoacidosis CAN cause high numbers on a breathalyzer test. However, you will need to be able to prove that your blood sugars were high at that time.

.02% seems low to me from what you described unless you are a large woman

rubystar2 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Louise, I agree with you but I do believe the OP mentioned having a high blood test, too. I don't believe ketoacidosis can interfere with the blood test, which is specific for ethyl alcohol.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to rubystar2's response:
Good point Ruby-I missed that part.

I worry about anyone drinking and driving.

crwii1021 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
hello my name is charles williams and i was recently charged with a dui and my blood sugar at the time was 242 would that increase my chances of failing the breathlyzer i blew a .89 and 10 seconds later a .84

flutetooter replied to crwii1021's response:
It appears to me from the above responses to the questions concerning drinking that a high blood sugar cannot make the alcohol test go higher, but I have read that the reverse can happen -- drinking alcohol can make your blood sugar go up, because the liver first deals ith the most toxic substance to your body, which is the alcohol and cannot filter the sugar out of your blood as fast as it usually does. It would seem to be a good idea to follow a program which is good to your health and diabetes management.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

brad1058 responded:
If I had high blood sugar when taking a Blood Alcohol test would that raise my BAC. ?

brunosbud responded:
It's obvious what this young lady was trying to do. She was fishing for an argument (for a judge) that diabetes could be the underlying cause of her high blood alcohol count...

Here's my perspective on the matter...

If you take glucophage (aka, metformin), one of the things it clearly advises is don't drink alcohol.

To this day, it's not entirely clear how glucophage (aka, metformin) works but many believe it shuts down the release of glucose into the bloodstream by the liver.

On the flip-side, alcohol is suspected to do just the opposite. It's believed it can cause the liver to start dumping glucose into the bloodstream. Hence, the alcohol negates the ability of glucophage to control blood glucose.

Being that the liver is charged with filtering the bloodstream of toxins, having high blood sugar is probably the worst condition a driver under the influence of alcohol can have. Instead of just dealing with the alcohol, the liver is, now, saddled with clearing the excess glucose that it just dumped, earlier.

Now, if the young lady was obese...if she had fatty liver disease...if she was taking other medications...All of these factors makes her liver's job harder, still...

She argues, "How in the world can I test at such a high level of blood alcohol when my last drink was 3 hrs ago?"

Easy. Alcohol and diabetes don't mix!

Anon_1092 replied to brad1058's response:
the simple answer is no.

Please read the previous posts. High blood alcohol is likely tied directly to the amount of alcohol you consumed.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.