Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes and Stomach Viruses
Bluzjam25 posted:
I'm a somewhat newly diagnosed diabetic who takes 15 units of Lantus a day. When I have an illness, like a stomach virus, when my calorie intake is much lower, should I decrease the amount of Lantus I take to compensate?

DavidHueben responded:
Bluzjam25:

You should work with your medical team to develop an insulin dosing protocol that is consistent with your caloric intake when you are ill.

It is also very important to track and record your glucose levels from your daily home testing. That will give your team the data they need to make an informed decision about any needed adjustments.

David

auriga1 responded:
That's a good question for your doctor. I also take Lantus and called my doctor. His answer was to keep the insulin dosage the same and to take it every day, sick or not. I've also had to take it before any test that required fasting.

It would be different if you were taking a fast or rapid-acting insulin such as Humalog or Novolog. These fast acting insulins work with the carbs you ingest at mealtime. If you don't eat, you won't need the fast or rapid-acting insulin.

Without the 24-hour basal insulin, my sugar readings are 250 and above even when I don't eat. The Lantus keeps this in check.

If you are worried, call your doctor. Don't do anything without talking to him/her.

rubystar2 replied to auriga1's response:
It is discussed here the possibility of adjusting the Lantus to caloric intake. Isn't the dosage of Lantus (or any insulin) determined by carb intake?

feelinghigh responded:
Which type are you??

Type I's (not sure about the protocol for type 2's) usually need to raise their insulin dose when sick even when not eating. The stress of being sick raises bg's.

You should contact your doctor if you're unclear what to do. He/she will give you a sick day plan.

Gypsy12345 replied to feelinghigh's response:
I use the novolog 70/30 pen, which is a mix of fast and slow acting insulin. When I got the stomach flu my blood sugar was very high. I couldn't eat anything - only drank a little water. My doctor told me to keep taking the same does, which I did, but my sugar was still really high.

auriga1 replied to rubystar2's response:
Rubystar, Lantus is a 24-hour basal insulin with no pronounced peak. This insulin regulates glucose metabolism. Some Type 2's have a problem with glucose metabolism and severe insulin resistance (if this person is a Type 2.) I'm not quite sure, because they have a relatively low insulin requirement. Lantus lowers blood glucose levels by stimulating peripheral glucose uptake, especially by skeletal muscle and fat. It is a slow, prolonged absorption and stays at a relatively constant concentration over a 24/hr. period of time.

The fast and rapid-acting insulin dosages are determined by carb intake. Their duration of action is generally 6-8 hours, with the peak at 2-4 hours.

Any illness can cause stress on someone's body, thus raising their blood sugar, as feelinghigh stated. The poster's best bet would be to call their doctor and, of course, monitor their blood sugar closely to see if the insulin dosage needs to be changed.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.