Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes & mental confusion
Bajabetty posted:
My husband has had diabetes for over 15 years and is currently on Januvia and Glimepiride. His sugar level has been going up the last few months to approx 140-180. At the same time, seems to be having some mental confusion. Could this be a long term effect of diabetes?

phototaker responded:
If his sugar levels go very high, he could get drowsiness and have mental confusion. I would assume this would happen more with higher numbers than this. When you say his numbers are up, are you testing two hours after he eats or just his fasting blood sugar numbers? Maybe his numbers are higher than you think a few hours after a meal. If you see him becoming really drowsy, have him test his blood sugar numbers.

LJAndieRNP replied to phototaker's response:
Hi, time for a visit with his diabetes health care provider to see if this trend is toward overall higher blood glucose readings (is the HgA1C higher) and if it is time to increase his medication doses. One can do everything correctly and still need medication adjustments over time. This is the NORMAL progression of diabetes over time.

Take care, Laurie

Bajabetty replied to phototaker's response:
Thank you for your response. He has only been checking the fasting (first thing in the morning , so I guess he needs to start checking after meals. He has not been very diligent about checking as he should have.

phototaker replied to Bajabetty's response:
Have him check two hours "after" his meals. As LJ Andie RNP asked, "Is his A1C numbers higher?) Maybe he should have an A1C test to see if his numbers have changed the last few months.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.