Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Metformin
robocops posted:
My Doctor just put me on this drug along with glipazide. I have been on Metformin for about two weeks now. My question is about weight loss. I have started to loss weight faster now. This last week I have lost 6 pounds. Could it be the Metformin or finally my weight loss plateau has broken? I have type 2 diabetis. Thanks

DavidHueben responded:
Robo:

I can only share my experience. Until six weeks ago, I was on a very low dosage of Metformin (500 mg once per day). I never noticed any effect (up or down) on my weight.

By the way, six pounds is quite a bit of weight to lose in one week under normal circumstances. In theory, at least, you would have had to have consumed 21,000 less calories for that week (or 3,000 less calories per day) than before to lose that kind of poundage.

Are you sure that this wasn't "water weight"?

Sorry I can't be more help.

David

teddybear200 responded:
Robocops I was on 2,000mg of Metformin a day for 2 yrs. It did not contain glipizide. Mine was Metformin XR.

I did not lose weight while taking it nor did I gain weight. Perhaps the one you have with the glipizide in it is causing the rapid weight loss.

At any rate 6 lbs in one week should be reported to your Dr. Metformin is not known for weight loss there could be something else going on. Please check with your Dr.

DianeR01 responded:
Hi robocops,

It was explained to me that metformin doesn't really cause weight loss but it can change how some foods taste to you causing you to eat less. I am on 2000mg per day and do find a few things taste different but only one to the point I no longer consume it.

If the weight loss continues at this rate I would definately call your doctor.

di

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Weight loss is listed as a common side effect of Metformin .

Another thing I think happens is that when medications change, people work harder to change the other habits they need to change. Maybe that is the case for you?

Either way-congratulations on your weight removal!

I don't know how much weight you have to lose,but you will need to call your doctor if your rapid weight loss continues beyond the next 2 weeks or so-just to double check that you are getting enough nutrition and calories as well as haven't developed another medical condition.

Trisha55555 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Then why has it been so hard to loose weight?

LJAndieRNP responded:
Hi, to advance metformin from a beginning dose to 2000 mg in 2 weeks would cause a lot of stomach upset and diarrhea in many of my patients. If you are having (or did have) a lot of diarrhea at some point then water loss would account for some of your weight loss. I suggest checking in with your health care provider to discuss whether or not you should be concerned about this weight loss. Take care, Laurie

teddybear200 replied to LJAndieRNP's response:
Hi I have been following this - because Robocop saying Metformin caused this 6 lb weight loss in 2 weeks.

But your reply says "to advance metformin from a beginning dose to 2000 mg in 2 weeks would cause a lot of stomach upset and diarrhea in many of my patients. If you are having (or did have) a lot of diarrhea at some point then water loss would account for some of your weight loss."

I am wondering how much the person started out with - it wasn't mentioned how much they were taking but others said they take 2,000 mg. I started out at 1,500mg and in 2 months went up to 2,000mg. I did not have any change in weight loss or gain.

If regular Metformin in me didn't cause any weight change then the glipizide must be the added ingredient helping with this persons weight loss.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.