Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I'm 30 years old. My ac1 is 9.8.
An_202529 posted:
I'm 30 and I feel great. I recently got a physical and a blood test and found out my ac1 is off the charts. People complain about ac1 of 7. Mine is 9.8! I am 5'11 178 lbs. Not too overweight.

Weird thing is I feel fine, but I know that in 10 years from now if I don't do anything I will probably feel the symptoms of diabetes.

Anyone here in the same situation I'm in?

betaquartz responded:
What was your FBG (fasting blood glucose)? An A1C of 9.8 is full blown diabetic on the new guidelines. What has your dr said?

xring responded:
9.8% A1c means your blood sugar average has been around 272 for the past 3 months. A non-diabetic A1c is 4 - 6%.
I was diagnosed at 8.9%. What did your doctor say?

An_202530 responded:
Add me to the long list of posters who are wondering "What did your doctor say?" What treatment plan have you developed with your doctor to control your diabetes?

With numbers like that, you will be lucky to be alive 10 years from now, let alone develop symptoms. I hope you can get this in control very quickly.

An_202531 responded:
My first blood sugar test for an 8 hour fast was 190. The second doc appt the blood sugar was 150, but I stupidly fasted for 24 hours not knowing better. I read that you're supposed to eat and not skip meals.

The doc told me to see a dietician and see him in one month. I guess he wants to know if I can reduce my sugars with food and exercise.

The thing is I feel no symptoms! I went in for a physical and that's when I found out. But after reading on the Internet with people have a1c of 7% and complaining, it sounds like my condition is more serious than I thought it was.

My family has a history of diabetes (mom, paternal and maternal grandma and grandpa).

I'm kinda scared so I cut out rice altogether from my diet. I am of Asian decent so I used to eat a ton of rice daily. Maybe that's what caused it.

shank_us responded:
Anon,

Now that you have been diagnosed with diabetes, you just accept and start taking actions to get it back under control.. Since your doctor wants you to try to manage Blood sugar with diet and exercise, my recommendations -

1. Read and follow Dr. Dansinger's Diabetes reversal Blog -
http://blogs.webmd.com/life-with-diabetes-2/2009/07/eating-for-diabetes-reversal-part-1.html

2. Interval and strength training. You can search internet for good recommendations. These two are the key to improving your insulin sensitivity.

3. Test.. test and test.. I was testing 5-6 times a day and still test 4 times a day (last a1c 5.3).. I plan to reduce my testing.. but you should test blood sugar as you try to figure out how your body responds to various foods and exercise.

My first a1c was 7.8 and I am 35 yrs old. yes.. and ate a lot of carbs (bread, rice..). After reading Dr Dansinger's blog and other other sites, I have significantly reduced carbs and eat a lot more vegetables (Raw, steamed, roasted), good fat (olive oil, nuts, avocado), egg whites, and low fat cheese. Of course there are many healthy meat options too. My point and recommendation is that there needs to be major changes in diet, exercise and life style.. oh and key is to be consistent.. More we think about it, harder in can get.. Key for me has been to look for other things in life that I enjoy and not think about food.. One thing that keeps me going is just seeing my 4 yr old daughter.. I want to be in her life for a long time so i need to keep working on my blood sugar.

I have a friend (same age) and is managing diabetes with diet/exercise and many on this board do the same..

Additional resources -

http://www.drrosedale.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-Diabetes-Solution-Achieving/dp/0316167169/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271209951&sr=8-1

Good news is that diabetes can be managed but you have to research and find what works for you.

Good Luck.

jimbobway replied to shank_us's response:
shank, thanx for the excellent tips. Good stuff. I will read all the stuff you posted and will definitely change my lifestyle...pretty tough but I gotta do it.

marysn responded:
Anon_20247, please call your doctor to see what he is going to do about your high sugar. If he ignores it, change drs. Go to an Endocrinologist!
I am a type 2 diabetic, was diagnosed in 2000. My doctor told me that when you are diagnosed, you have had it for some time. My sugar A1c was at 11.5%. It's very important to test, test, test!!! Count your carbs. Get a notebook and record the Date, Time of test, and your sugar level. I also record how many carbs I have with each meal. This is very important, as it helps the dr fine tune your medication. Your sugar should be in the range of 70-120, and no more than 160, 2 hours after you eat. Test 1st thing in the morning and before each meal (your dr may want you to also test 2 hours after you eat) and before bedtime.

I know this is time consuming, but it can save your life. I have diabetic complications. I had both of my subclavian arteries 100% blocked. I had a stent put on my right side, and had to have an artery bypass on the left. I have nerve damage (painful) Now my kidneys are showing signs of shutdown.

PLEASE,,,,,don't ignore your sugar, and lose a couple pounds. It will help. Don't end up like me. I'm now on an insulin pump, and am in control, nut it may be to late for me.

Please contact your doctor!

An_202532 replied to marysn's response:
Mary thx for the advice and I hope you recover. I will try and do as you say.

jambajuice replied to An_202531's response:
"...The thing is I feel no symptoms!..."

You've said that twice, now...We heard you the first time.

This is why diabetes is a "silent" killer. There are no obvious symptoms. Half the people in this country with diabetes have no clue they have it.

On the contrary, the complications from diabetes; not silent at all. My father's kidneys are failing. He's feeling those symptoms, every minute of every day!

I applaud your initiative in learning about your condition. This is a highly manageable disease and if you study further, it's reversible! In other words you, with the help of your physician, you can heal yourself.

Stay on this path of understanding what you are dealing with. This is a brilliant move. Best wishes.

marysn replied to An_202532's response:
I wish you lots of luck Anon. Here is another tid bit my doctor told me. Maybe it will help you understand more. In a normal healthy person, your cells are soft, and when they eat carbs, it turns to glucose and enters the cells to give them energy. In a diabetic, you have to picture your cells like an M&M. Soft on the inside but with a hard shell. When we eat carbs, the glucose can't get into the cells. It builds up in the bloodstream is filtered thru the kidneys and out your urine. Which can damage the kidneys after awhile. That's one reason we are tired, and get depression. Our body doesn't get what it needs. Your pancreas could be making insulin (in Type 2 it usually does) but your body may not be able to use it, that's called being insulin resistant. Also Anon,when we have high sugar, you'll notice you drink lot more. That's because high sugar causes dehydration to all your organs. If I can be anymore help just ask hun. Mary

krhudson responded:
Hi Anon. Take care of this quickly. The sooner the better because you will prolong your life by doing things by the absolute book and being responsable now that it is determined you have high blood sugars ( Diabetes). Every case is different. I was 19 when I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic. It is surprising that you feel fine and I am glad about that but do not let that be a reason not to get going on this right away. Many people out there do not want to commit to the changes they must make to prolong their life. I am sure most of us on here know someone that did not take it as seriously as possibe and many are gone in their 40s and 50s as a result of not taking it seriously or they were never diagnosed and never went to the Dr. for annual exams since they thought they were fine. The good news is that you know now and you can go forward and do what you need to do. It gets easier once you get the hang of it and it becomes part of your everyday life. Everyone should maintain similar lifestyles to be healthy anyway. That is one thing I am thankful for is that I have to maintain this which forces me to take care of myself. Keep us posted.

krhudson

An_202533 replied to krhudson's response:
Hi guys,

I'm back! I was the one who reported by ac1 is 9.8. It has been about one month and I got retested. My ac1 is now lower at 8.5! I am hoping to cure my diabetes in three months, if possible.

I have not been taking any drugs. I have cut most of my carbs out. No more rice. No more rice noodle. Very little caffeine. No more crazy snacks. Very little fruit juice. Instead of a glass of OJ I'll drink a third a glass. I try to drink water and decaffeinated green tea.

I eat salads, bike daily, eat walnuts, chicken. I stopped going to Subway. I eat a lot of fish. I eat fish tacos with corn tortillas.

Every once in a while I'll eat peanut M&Ms. I know they are bad for me but they have low glycemic index and it's better than other candies.

I'll report back whenever I can. Thanks everyone for their encouragement!!!

DavidHueben replied to An_202533's response:
I am sorry to disappoint you, but you are not going to "cure" your diabetes in three months. Most likely, you will be able to control or manage your diabetes at reasonable levels through proper nutrition, regular exercise, weight management, and possibly medication.

David

krhudson replied to An_202533's response:
Hi Anon, Great reduction so far. Now step in up another knotch as you condition yourself in the excersise. See if the Dr. will allow you to bike further or treadmill 3 miles and not just 1 mile or walk 5 miles, not just 1 mile and also, lift weights ( start out light if you do not do that now). Keep eating the greens and veggies. Try not to do the juice, replace it with another fruit like strawberrys. Off the m and m and get a healthier low sodium mixed nuts. I cannot remember the brand but it is at the grocery where all peanuts would be and it is a green and blue lable and also states lower sodium or better yet see if you can find no sodium. A little blander but will help with protien needs. For the chocolate crave get Ghirardelli darkest chocolate squares and have 1 every other day or so just to calm the crave. Keep the portions of food under control just to satisfy unless it is a big salad. Those are what I love and If I go out and order one I do not go for just half and I like to have chicken in it when at all possible. No bread with it. Tell the Dr. what your up to and clear all ideas with him since some are not supposed to be to vigouras on the workout and if Blood Sugar is above 250 for some odd reason and you want to bring it down with exersise it is not recommeded since at 250 and above. Maybe someone else can chime in about why not to do that. It has something to do with dehydration I think. Keep us posted.

Krhudson

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.