Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
qbqkieu106
kieub posted:
Sorry I have posted these questions under Tips instead of Discussions.
a) What is the optimal glucose number through out the day?
b) What is the number should be when first wake up in the morning?
c) What is the number should be before bed?
I have started my testing according to my doctor request, and found something puzzled me: fasting before breakfast 90, after 33 minutes exercise then it rose to 114, why? this happened everytime when I exercise with empty stomach.
My before bed were often under 100. But in the morning they would be about 20's or so count higher. What caused my sugar to rise when I did not eat anything until the next morning breakfast?
Can anyone help?

betaquartz responded:
In my humble opinion you are having a standard reaction. The body senses a need for glucose, and converts stored fat to glucose when it thinks you are low on glucose. This happens in overnight/fasting, and after exercise. The rise after exercise should drop quickly after an hr.

kieub replied to betaquartz's response:
Thank you for your reply. It is not a medical problem then? Should I eat before exercise? Is it the proper way to loose weight?

xring responded:
Hi, Kieub,

There is an average range of optimal glucose numbers throughout the day. Generally, 80-140 average.

When waking up, 80-130 is fine for a diabetic. 140 or under is optimal 2 hrs after the start of a meal.

Exercise causes different changes in blood sugar for different people. My blood sugar usually drops quickly after exercise but some people experience a temporary rise before it drops.

auriga1 responded:
kieub, you've received good answers from the others.

At night, many diabetics experience the dawn phenomenom upon waking. Your body thinks because you have not eaten for a good amount of hours, the liver kicks in secreting glucose. You can try snacking at night before you go to bed with about 15 grams of good carbs in addition to protein. Never eat carbs by themselves.

xring is right in that many diabetics experience a rise in blood sugar levels right after exercise. It's a stressor to the body. You will find that 2 hours after that, your sugar levels should be within the normal range (maybe even one hour.) Everyone is different.

My blood sugar drops during exercise, but that's because I use insulin.

kieub replied to auriga1's response:
Thank you all for your replies. They all make sense to me. But as I was trying to drop 4 pounds (from 112 to 108 pounds on my 5ft frame, especially the fat from my tummy as I read that is the evil fat) as prescribed during one of my free clinic testing, I tried doing the exercise early in the morning before eating. I was afraid my eating during the night will increase the sugar in the morning test. Apparently I was wrong. Perhaps I will try out your suggestion and will report the result.
Also because of diabete I have to wach the cholesterol as well. There is not much I can eat that is light and includes carb and protein. You have any suggestion for me?
Thank you, Kieub

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.