Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Low-Fat Vegan Diet for Reversing Diabetes
Exchange_Blogs_Admin posted:
Can a low-fat vegan diet be the prescription for type 2 diabetes reversal? The payoff is high, but it is a huge leap for Americans used to a typical Western diet. Do you think you could follow this type of diet if it meant reversing your type 2 diabetes? Read Dr. Dansinger's latest blog post, then come back here to share your comments.

raymarty09 responded:
As with religion everyone wants to push it down your throat. I had to take my son who ate great when he lived at home, but met a girl who families high fat diet had him gain 30 lbs! We slowly introduce whole grains, high fiber fruits and vegies back into his life And now she cooks (healthy) to help us. Too much of anything to fast is bad. Slow as we go works better.
We have eaten low fat, high fiber, fruits and veggies for years. Resently I felt ill and we decovered that I had the "Widow Maker" in my artery which was 99.9 closed. Go figured...

ragurkis responded:
I started the vegan diet two days ago -- for some reason my sugar levels dropped significantly in 24 hours -- not sure why -- the results should not have been that drastic. Has anyone else followed this diet --

mhall6252 replied to ragurkis's response:
Nope. I'm pretty sure 2 days is about how long I could sustain a meat-free diet. There are folks here who are doing it and I am sure they will chime in with their thoughts.

The key to successly controlling blood sugar is following a diet or "lifestyle" that you can sustain 90% of the time for the rest of your life. For me, it's a low carb diet.

Michelle

betaquartz replied to mhall6252's response:
I concur with you here. I guess I still like my meat, even though lately it has been more fish and poultry! I find I can match this diet 100% of the time, and it doesn't make me feel abused.

noreos4me responded:
I read Dr. Barnard's book last October and started the diet the first of November. I figured if I lost the weight I gained when I went on insulin AND could get off the insulin it would be worth it. I lost half my goal (12 lbs) within the the first 6 weeks. Initially my blood sugars started going down and I started cutting back on my insulin, but they went right back up. The pluses of the diet are: 1) prior to the diet I was prone to carb-starving myself in an effort to control my blood-sugar (less than 60 carbs per day). I feel I have been at a 98% level of maintaining the diet (cheated on TG and Christmas. I now eat the whole grain cereals, (not bread because I am still trying to lose weight) and I don't count carbs. 2) Although I have not lost the lbs, I have trimmed inches. At my last doctor's visit I told my doctor I felt fat, tired, and hungry all the time. Now I feel satisfied, I don't feel fat and tired. 3) Although my blood sugars have not gone down, neither have they increased in spite of the drastic increase in carbs. (Occasional spikes-A1C due in a week--that will be the true test). 4) Really good for the digestive tract. I experienced definite improvement the first week.
The negatives: 1) I like to work out but I feel like I am continually losing strength and flexibility. I have had to cut back on both resistance and reps. I guess I could blame aging, but I think it is a little too much a coincidence. 2)My husband is not agreeable to the diet so we don't eat together--that is a big negative for me 3) The vegan in my office that talked me into reading Dr Barnard's book thinks the food is "exciting." I don't. (Though I really enjoy my breakfast.) 4) I am not a good sport. It is hard for me to sit and watch other people eat what I can't but wish I could. Giving up the "carbs" was easier than giving up animal protein. 5) It feels like my fat has all migrated to my belly giving me a shape I don't like. Even with the extra pounds I liked my overall shape better than this.

brunosbud replied to noreos4me's response:
All of this is normal and good. You are progressing. You are feeling better. Be patient. It will all make perfect sense, soon.
And, when you finally get that "AHA moment", you will breathe a huge sigh of relief.

People who never go through what you are doing, now, will never acquire this most awesome revelation...

My body can heal itself. I'm the doctor!

larrybaseball responded:
I can understand why fatty meats and dairy products would contribute to high blood sugar levels but I don't understand why lean meats, which are protein, would contribute to high blood sugar levels. The same goes for 1% or skim milk. Why are low fat animal products a problem?

NWSmom4g replied to rebitzman's response:
Welcome back, rebitzman! It's been a while.

davedsel57 replied to NWSmom4g's response:
Nancy,

If you look at the upper right-hand corner of the post, you will see that rebitzman has not posted for 2 years. It would be great to have him back, but that post in this discussion is not current.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

NWSmom4g replied to davedsel57's response:
Davedsel57, I realized it was an old one shortly after posting. Some mornings I am more awake than others...that was one of the others.

Nancy

denipink replied to MartyT2425's response:
I found your post interesting. My Doc is vegan and recommends i become vegan, too. I have done a lot of researching and decided i needed to get my health back (diabetes and psoriasis) in particular. I ended up spending $30 over my little disability budget for one week of "vegan" foods. That was just a "bit" of what i needed according to the recipes i was going to follow.

I would gladly be eating vegan today if i could afford it. I have a meat and dairy eating son at home to feed so cooking two different meals at a time is no fun.

I am not sure what i will do yet but as far as i am concerned, any diet that can reverse a deadly disease like diabetes is worth fighting for!

redhead702 responded:
really?- I was told that vegandiets were dangerous for diabetics.

flutetooter replied to redhead702's response:
This is a very old original post, but the topic is still current. One problem with a vegan diet is that some people eat a lot of bread, cereals, and other grain products, as well as potato chips, etc. Those foods have a lot of carbohydrates. Consuming only plant proteins in such food as lentils and navy beans is possible, but difficult. Those food are vey healthy nutrition wise, but are accompanied by an amount of dense carbs that will send your blood sugar up if not limited.

That said, a vegan diet of mostly green leafy and low starch veggies and limited fruits would contain many nutrients. You would have to add MANY good fats such as nuts to reach the calorie count necessary to maintain a lean body. For overweight people, a diet of more veggies and less grains and animal protein would help in weight loss.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

jupiter21 replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
What do you really think about the diets advocated by Joel Fuhrman, Neal Barnard, and John McDougall? They say over and over that it is the fat in the cells that paralyzes the insulin and stops sugar from entering the cells = main cause of T2DM. Get rid of the fat with a low fat high complex carb diet (no refined cabs either) of whole unprocessed plant foods and you can cure your diabetic condition. They claim most doctors have it all wrong in how they treat diabetics. What do you think about this being a medical doctor yourself? Dr. Caldwell Eesselstyn and Dean Ornish make claims that if one can follow a diet like this with zero animal products or dairy, coronary heart disease can be prevented and disease progression halted and reversed if you already have it.

flutetooter replied to jupiter21's response:
Most of these diets have very good advice for a "normal" overweight, but not diabetic person. The foods suggested are all very good nutritionally, but many are high in carbohydrates. Even complex carbs like whole grains and lentils get broken down eventually into sugar, so you have to limit the total amount. For instance I can eat only 1/3 cup cooked oatmeal, or 1/4 cup lentils in a meal without sending my blood sugar up. So--- I find that balancing my diet with low (animal) fat proteins and adding good fats such as olive oil and salmon is necessary for me. In most of the books by vegans, you will find 1 paragraph that says "of course if you are diabetic you have to watch your total sugar/carbohydrate intake". That excuses the author from giving bad advice for diabetics.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.