Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
What is too low for blood sugar?
sharlene61 posted:
I felt faint and tested my blood sugar. It was 38. Should I be concerned with that result?

phototaker responded:
YES!!! TAKE SOME ORANGE JUICE, CANDY, glucose tablets, anything sweet right now. Are you alone? Check your blood sugar levels right after and see how you're doing. You could go really lower right away, and pass out. Let us know how your are doing. You could pass out and go into a coma if it goes lower. Call 911, if you go lower.

phototaker replied to phototaker's response:
And...please check back with us to let us know you're okay.
It could be a bad test strip, but you said you felt faint.

phototaker responded:
Please let us know if you're okay. I've been thinking about you.

sharlene61 replied to phototaker's response:
I ate a cookie and then some peanut butter crackers and felt much better. Thank you for your concern. I have felt this way off and on lately but just thought to check my blood sugar. My niece said it could be from stress. Is that so?

phototaker replied to sharlene61's response:
Sharlene, are you on insulin or medicine like Metformin?
If you have felt this way lately, you need to talk to your doctor about this. Maybe they will suggest a lower dose of medicine.
Yes, stress can cause all kinds of things, including breaking out in a rash. Meanwhile, pick up some glucose tablets, and keep them out you. If you go too low, you can go unconscious or become confused and not be able to let anyone know what's wrong. Talk to Auriga as she goes low when bike riding. She brings things along with her all the time and has had to use them.

Thanks for getting back and letting us know you're okay. I was worried about you.

krhudson replied to sharlene61's response:
Hi Sharlene. Please remember, food will not get to your system as fast as o juice or the Glucose tablet. Best to use the glucose tablet, they come in Rasberry Flaver and will remind you of a sweet tart . See any pharmacy, they will show you that a container of them has 50 Glucose tablets. I also bought the small container for my purse or briefcase. If you just eat the food, that takes about 20 minutes to even start to help and by then you will not be able to seek help on your own. You will have to see whats going on and let us know what the Dr. says. Since you are testing you have been diagnosed right? Are you type 1 or 2 ? Or did you just test to see. Stress for me raises my sugar, not lowers it. Everybody's body is different. Be sure to see the DR.

krhudson

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
Dear Sharlene,
Thanks for your great question about blood sugar reading of 38. The answer is "yes" you should be concerned, because that reading is very low. The only way it can get so low is from insulin therapy or certain oral medication such as glyburide or glipizide.

It is very important that you work with your health care team to regulate your eating, exercise, and medication in order to avoid repeat episodes of such low blood sugar.

Also, please work with your health care team to get their advice on correcting low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia). For example, many people with diabetes use the "rule of 15" to treat low blood sugar levels (below 70) by eating 15 grams of rapidly absorbed carbohydrate (glucose tablets or juice) and retesting the glucose levels 15 minutes later. Repeat the rule of 15 until symptoms improve and glucose levels are above 70.

Anyone else out there having occasional low glucose levels?

Michael Dansinger, MD

sharlene61 replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
Thank you all very much, I think. I am concerned now. lol I am not on any meds. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia about 10 years ago but up until recently I have been able to control it with food. I will get some tablets to carry with me and contact my doctor. Thanks to all.

xring replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
I have a history of hypoglycemia since age 12 (45 years ago). At that time, I skipped breakfast & rode my bike to school - it was only 1 mile. I didn't know what was happening but as I got off the bike & walked to my first class, my fingers became numb & I had trouble walking, then I passed out in the classroom. When I woke up, I was already in the nurse's office, so I must have been unconscious for at least 15 minutes.

I've have three lows since my dx in 12-08. The worst was in 5-09. I had very severe symptoms & tested at 57 which is very low for me. The other two were also severe (as far as symptoms) but I tested at 86 & 71.

I keep sugar tabs near the shower, several in my car, on my elliptical & I never leave my car without some in my pocket.

flowersong replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
YES! about 6-months ago, I have a real problem about noon, if I have not eated by then I get shakey and feel like I could fall when I get up to walk, this unsteadness and shaking, has happened while I am driving, I went to the Dr. and found out that I have low glucose levels.I carry glucose tabs with me at all times '
Now here is my question this just started a couple of weeks ago, I have a salty taste on my lips, day an night,even if I wipe my lips with a wet wash cloth, thinking the salt if from dinner, but its still there, also some times I get a sweet taste to the lips,
Do you have any idea , and why I taste both salt and sweet?I am so worried that it is diabets, not sure if low blood sugar is diabets, I have had two different DR. tell me that yes it is diabets and the other one said no I don't have diabets
I would like any info that you can send my way, thank you for your time and info

krhudson replied to flowersong's response:
Hi Flowersong. It is disturbing that 2 Drs. have different opinions on this and that you cannot get a final result. What are the Dr.s basing their findings on such as the Dr. that says it is Diabetes. Did he/she run the Lab work A1C? If so, what was the result of that test. That is a great indicator. Also, maybe they can run a glucose tolerance test. It is lenghty but clearly will show how glucose is metabolizing. Another thing to consider is to see an Endocrinologist about this since they specialize in this area and will let you know if you are either hypo or hyper glycemic. Let us know how it goes. Maybe the Dr. that said you are not saw your sugars on the high side of normal and did not want to diagnose it as diabetis yet? What about the Dr. that said you do have Diabetes? Any Meds prescribed for it? Or are you still being observed for now?

krhudson

phototaker replied to flowersong's response:
Flowersong, what I did was go on the net and researched low blood sugar. You need to do that, and see what comes up.
Read up on it a little, so when you see the doctor again, you can ask some good questions for yourself to clarify what you have and what you don't have.

I'm sure WebMD has great sites. Just go into their site and write in low blood sugar and see what comes up. Read all the information carefully.

countrieyapple replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
yes i have always been prediabetic and they think now that i have crossed over. i take metformin twice a day at 500mg each. i ate breakfast at 8am this morning and just started feeling funny as though i was moving in slow motion but am not...i checked my glucose and it is 86; my tongue feels very dry...so i drank two cups of water then reached for a bite of a granola bar...i still feel a bit funny though

davedsel57 replied to countrieyapple's response:
Hello, contrieyapple and welcome.

FYI, you are replying to a post that is several years old with no recent activity until your post. Look at the upper right-hand corner of the post and you will amount of months or years lapsed since it was created.

I'm sure you are aware that 86 is really not too low. If you have symptoms it could just mean your body is used to higher blood glucose levels and is adapting. I think you would benefit by discussing this with your doctor.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.