Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Vitamin D and diabetes
Marta123 posted:
I recently heard that low levels of Vitamin D can lead to diabetes. Anyone knows anything about it?

An_202589 responded:
Yes, I heard about it too. I just watched a video about Vitamin D where the docs says that Vitamin D deficiency can cause diabetes and diabetes II. It seems Vitamin D has been linked to a lot of diseases, including cancer.
Here is the video I was taking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp5_m_dQXco

DavidHueben responded:
Marta:

All you need to do is take off your shirt and go outside in the sun for 15 - 20 minutes each day. Your body will produce all the vitamin D you need.

If you cannot go outside, you can take a supplement.

David
You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. - Yogi Berra

rebitzman replied to DavidHueben's response:
Also - salmon, milk and orange juice are also all good sources.

Granted - milk and OJ are probably not the best foods for a diabetic, but salmon is.

Also, for those with skin cancer issues - according to the National Institutes of Health, it does not take much sunlight to produce adequate amounts of vitamin D: perhaps as little as 30 minutes of daytime exposure twice a week.

rubystar2 replied to DavidHueben's response:
Interesting advice, David. I'd be pretty hard pressed to take my shirt off and go outside. ROFL

Anyway, I do take a Vitamin D supplement and last time I was at the doctor I asked for a Vitamin D blood test along with an Serum Insulin level.
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks

auriga1 replied to DavidHueben's response:
Spoken like a true man, David. LOL. Yep, just take off my shirt and go outside. You think anyone might say anything?

Like rubystar, ROFL.

rubystar2 replied to auriga1's response:
I think David forgot 50% of the population is female. I have a dear friend who doesn't always understand why I say "It's a man's world". Well, here you go, case in point!!
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks

DavidHueben replied to rubystar2's response:
Ruby:

I know (and did not forget) that half of the world is female. I did not say "get naked". You could easily put on a halter top and a pair of shorts and go lay on your chaise lounge for a few minutes.

To imply that I don't respect the women in our world is a little bit of an insult. It is NOT a "case in point".

David
You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. - Yogi Berra

xring replied to auriga1's response:
I think women should be required by law to go outside topless.

For Vitamin D.

amanda2581 replied to rubystar2's response:
Rubystar if I take off my shirt and go out side there will be a eclipse!!!ROFL , slipper

amanda2581 replied to xring's response:
You would Xring!!!tee hee

arealgijoe responded:
The Vit-D question might be more of a chicken or the egg issue. Reduced kidney function (common in diabetes) CAN CAUSE low vit-D. When my Kidney function was down, my vit-D level was also down.

I am with-holding judgement as to what causes or what comes first. Watching Vit-D tho is a good thing.

GOMER

DianeR01 responded:
Marta,

I am T2 on metformin and Glyubride. After adding a vitamin D3 supplement, 2000 iu daily, I found my fasting numbers dropped by about 10 % on a very consistant basis. Interestingly I live in the desert southwest and even though I am outdoors in the daylight in shorts and t shirt 30-60 minutes daily I was able to benefit from the additional D3.

Please talk to your doctor before adding any supplement.

di

nwsmom replied to xring's response:
Xring, most of us older women would scare people!

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to DavidHueben's response:
I recently read that people who live north of southern Georgia can not get enough vitamin D without supplementation-even going outside topless.

Even half of a group of skateboarders in Southern California and surfers in Hawaii had below optimal Vitamin D levels-despite hours and hours of daily sun exposure and toplessness.
~Louise

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.