Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Commitment and following through
twotontess posted:
I am always saying before I go to bed at night that tommorow is the day I am going to start my diet and get in some exercise. The first half of the day I do good and then comes that after supper snacking and bedtime snacking. Well after all that I don;t even feel like exercising. So once again the cycle repeats itself.

betaquartz responded:
After dinner try taking a walk, or doing some gardening or anything in the way of movement to get you away from the snacks. A nice walk will often ease your hunger, and then get a glass of water when you get home. Keep trying. I usually do side planks before I go to bed, and push ups when I get up in the morning. Not for everyone, but exercise is exercise, a little can do a lot if continued.

krhudson responded:
try to excersise before dinner and you will lose a couple of hours of snack time, then eat the correct dinner portions and once you start to see some results for your effort you have changed the cycle and I agree with water that helps as a filler to an extent. Ask your Dr. what he/or she recommends for your excersise plan so you start out slow and work your way up. I did and so far lost 10 pounds in the last 3 months. The more results I see the healthier I am eating all the way to fruits and veggies, yogart and slight protein all fresh.

krhudson

phototaker responded:
First of all, twotontess, you might want to change your name to something positive....Lightweightone...

Try to look at your diabetes as a way of life, not a diet. We're not dieting. We're trying to eat more healthy. I used to feel exactly like you do. I just couldn't comprehend giving up all the things I loved to eat. That was "before" diabetes. Now, I just make a mindset that I don't want to have damage to my body, blindness, heart problems, bladder, liver, or kidney difficulties, etc.

Since this is so hard for you right now, start with little steps.
Your goal is to keep your carb levels under 45 for each meal.
Do little meals and space them out. Make smaller portions.

If you like to snack(I do too), try to look for healthier snacks, like almonds and a small apple, No sugar added Dreyer's ice cream,(1/2 a cup), sugarless pudding cups, *one only) five strawberries cut up with Lite Cool Whip, a piece of cheese and a whole grain cracker.

Don't by anything that you CRAVE, and you know you will overeat too many of them, like whole grain crackers. You could get the 100 calories small individual bags of popcorn.
You can chew on sugarless gum(which does have carbs, too).

Diet sodas make me want to eat more, so try to stay away from them and concentrate on water.

Like the last poster said, maybe do your exercise after dinner, taking the dog for a walk, or planning to walk with a friend. It will get you out of the house away from food.

I really didn't want to exercise, as I always felt too tired. What I found is that if I did my exercise first thing in the morning, it made me feel good all day long. It energizes my mood and body.

If you are a people person, try to do exercises with other people. I go with three other people to swim class. If I didn't know I was meeting them, I probably would stay home. I did go by myself 25 minutes away to the Zumba class today, though. I'm really motivated to take that class.

Take up knitting or crocheting while watching t.v. or even make jewelry. Then you won't be eating..

Start tomorrow with a new attitude, and don't get mad at yourself if you don't follow through. You can do it. Don't deprive yourself. Make sure you have a special snack for the afternoon. It's NOT a diet. It's just a new way of living. Live it to the fullest.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Remember that one slip for the day doesn't mean that the rest of the day is toast. You have gotten some good tips on how to avoid slips-but I want to encourage you that there is no reason to wait for tomorrow even if it is the biggest slip you could imagine. Get right back on course.
~Louise

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.