Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What Do You Eat to Help Bring Down Your Sugar?
charhar posted:
I have found that cinnamon apple tea works really well in helping to bring down my sugar. Do you know of any helpful foods?

davedsel57 responded:
I've always had luck with cinnamon mixed into cottage cheese and/or some lean meat like deli sliced turkey breast or chicken.
Hope this helps.
Blessings, -Dave

DavidHueben responded:
Charhar:

What is required to bring down your blood glucose levels is not any specific tea or food. It is a long term commitment to proper nutrition, daily exercise, weight loss (as required), and sometimes medications.

David
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! -Tommy Smothers

phototaker responded:
Char...I think each person is so different. I try to keep my carb levels under a certain amount for each meal and snack to keep my blood sugar numbers down.

I try to make sure(since I'm not on medicine)that I don't eat anything that might spike me, like fruit without a protein, like nuts.

I have found cinnamon to be helpful, if that's what you're asking. When I buy my lower sugar oatmeal packets, I get the cinnamon and apple ones, or if I make a French toast with cinnamon and Eggbeaters as it's coating on whole grain bread.

Manoj_in_Bangalore responded:
Raw vegetable juice can bring down blood sugar levels quickly. The one I know that really works is the raw juice of brussels sprout. Peel 5 to 6 pieces of brussels sprout, cut them in smaller pieces, run them through a juicer, and drink the raw juice.

You can also try other vegetables likes bottle gourd. (Do not try fruit jucies however, only vegetables).

~ Manoj

amanda2581 replied to DavidHueben's response:
David I think they mean a quick way when you get a spike is my understanding of this ??? Is this correct charhar??

amanda2581 replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
Manoj_ I never knew you can eat a gourd???

Manoj_in_Bangalore replied to amanda2581's response:
amanda2581, I meant you can extract the raw vegetable juice of bottle gourd, by peeling it, cutting it into small pieces, and running it through a juicer.

rebitzman replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
Peel 5 to 6 pieces of brussels sprout, cut them in smaller pieces, run them through a juicer, and drink the raw juice.

Manoj - I actually have no real issue with your claim that raw vegetable juice is good for you. Logic alone would so dictate*, BUT the above statement......?

I just ran 5 fresh Brussels Sprouts through my juicer - didn't produce enough juice to wet my tongue.

*That said - there is a scientific study ate UC Berkley - funded by the Campbell's soup company that is looking for subjects (they'll pay you) to test exactly this! You want their phone number?

tryinghardtowin responded:
The best thing I have
ever found to bring my sugar levels down quickly is just plain water...you need to flush your body...simple,easy,cheap,EFFECTIVE!!

DisHammerhand responded:
I never actually thought of eating anything to bring down sugar. A walk around the block usually fixes me up.

cookiedog replied to DisHammerhand's response:
I try to avoid being high to start with but sometimes I end up high and am stuck with dealing with it.

My doctor said if I am high below 300, drink a glass of water. Walk 15 minutes. Check BS. If still high, drink a glass or water and walk 15 minutes. Check BS

If above 300, call the doctor.

rebitzman replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
bottle gourd

Surprised you would eat this - has NO saturated fat whatsoever.

amanda2581 replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
That is interesting thank you !! I always picked them as a kid and always wondered why they are not edible,Well you learn something every day.thanks!

rebitzman replied to amanda2581's response:
What is called a bottle gourd in India is actually a squash at the point of harvest.

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.