Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Getting to Know Stevia
Exchange_Blogs_Admin posted:
Sugar is linked to a host of health problems from type 2 diabetes to heart disease. In his latest blog post, Dr. Dansinger explains why stevia is a smart and natural alternative . Have you tried it? Read the blog post, then come back here to share your comments.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

betaquartz responded:
I have been using Stevia in the form of truvia the last two years. I find that it works well with yogurt and fruit. I dont use very many sweeteners anymore, and find that the fresh flavor of most foods stands on its own, also sweetness stands out if I get something presweetened.

DavidHueben responded:
I have not tried stevia. I use one packet of Splenda with my morning cereal.

I sometimes use real sugar (white or brown) when called for in certain recipes, unless I can use one of the Splenda products as a substitute.

David
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! -Tommy Smothers

nwsmom replied to DavidHueben's response:
I haven't tried stevia either. Splenda is the sweetener of choice...drink my coffee black, don't use it on cereal, but do use it in baking, 50 - 50 with sugar, or occasionally straight. Things don't brown as well, but they taste just as good as they would with sugar.

rubystar2 replied to nwsmom's response:
I heard stevia has a bad after taste but I haven't tried it myself. Anyone experience an after taste?
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks

DisHammerhand responded:
I really like stevia in earl grey and orange spice teas. It tastes sweeter and yummier when the tea is cold. It's not bad in plain old tea either. It's nasty in coffee. It does have an aftertaste. I don't think the teas mask it so much as they just go better with it. In coffee it's a flavor clash.

Truvia has a better flavor than the drops. I usually buy the drops because the bottle lasts a long time and ends up being less expensive. There's a bottle sitting on my tea tray right now. I keep a tray with the pot, cup and saucer next to where I sit. It's pleasant to sit and sip while enjoying a book.

betaquartz replied to nwsmom's response:
Splenda still has the jury out where I am concerned. A few facts.

One cup of Splenda contains 96 calories and 32 grams of carbohydrates, which is substantial for people with diabetes but unnoticed due to the label claiming that it's a no calorie sweetener.

betaquartz replied to betaquartz's response:
Add to that the clinical studies:

The presence of chlorine is thought to be the most dangerous component of sucralose. Chlorine is considered a carcinogen and has been used in poisonous gas, disinfectants, pesticides, and plastics. The digestion and absorption of sucralose is not clear due to a lack of long-term studies on humans. The majority of studies were done on animals for short lengths of time.

Finally,
The only way to be sure of the safety of sucralose is to have long-term studies on humans done.

http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/page9.htm

betaquartz replied to betaquartz's response:
The same can be said of Stevia except that it does have a history of long term use in countries around the world. I also believe that switching off with your sweeteners between Stevia, and Splenda may be a better strategy. With either after taste occurs with various foods, try to find the foods that are most appropriate for each sweetener.

DavidHueben replied to betaquartz's response:
Beta:

99% of the time, all the Splenda I have in a day is one packet. That packet has 4 calories and 0.5 grams of carbohydrates.

Thanks for the link. I read page 9. I guess I feel that since I use Splenda in such small quantities it is a reasonable risk for me to take.

David
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! -Tommy Smothers

betaquartz replied to DavidHueben's response:
From reading your posts I know that you don't believe in excess. There are people out there that use 3 or 4 in their coffee per cup, use it in their tea 2 or 3, and use it on berries, yogurt, and so much else with the idea that it is healthy, and doesn't have any calories. Hmmm. . . all things in moderation

DisHammerhand replied to betaquartz's response:
The chlorine is part of the molecule. They replace some of the hydrogen-oxygen components in a sugar molecule with chlorines.

But table salt has chlorine as part of it's molecule.

I am not convinced of the scare stories. I see terms like 'artificial chlorine' and 'natural chlorine'. Isn't chlorine, chlorine -so many protons, electrons and neutrons? There is a school of thought out there that says if it came from a lab it's bad. I am grateful for the blood pressure meds they invented because without them I would have dropped dead prematurely having developed hypertension in my early thirties.

I need to see a good study done on Splenda issue.

I switch around my sweeteners and don't worry about 'em. Sugar is way worse for me.

betaquartz replied to DisHammerhand's response:
I switch around my sweeteners and don't worry about 'em. Sugar is way worse for me.

Amen!

Michael Dansinger, MD replied to betaquartz's response:
thanks for the feedback on stevia. About a year ago I started a discussion about "Artificial sweeteners: Good or Evil?" and I stated I thought artificial sweeteners were more benign than sugar, even though I had mixed feelings about sucralose and aspartame. Since then, stevia has become easier to obtain and research studies have started to cast a negative light on artificial sweeteners. I still think they're preferable to sugar.

depressed_one replied to betaquartz's response:
"Chlorine is considered a carcinogen and has been used in poisonous gas, disinfectants, pesticides, and plastics."

With scare tactics like these it may be difficult to find humans to do a long term study on.

May I also remind people that table salt which has been used for centuries also contains that dangerous "carcinogen" chlorine.

So does Potassium CHLORIDE which is a salt substitute used by some who cannot have too much sodium chloride.

I value good links and research but not scare tactics that don't use good science or knowledge.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.