Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can Uncontrolled Diabetes Effect Your Mental Health?
illneverbackdown posted:
I was wondering if diabetes could contribute or cause any kind of mental problems such as anxienty or panic attacks, seeing as though having high blood sugar seems to produce the same feelings of anxienty.

I was 12 years old when i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and 3 weeks later anxiety set in along with a few occasional panic attacks. I have been on pills at times too when i was 'honeymooning' and i seemed to have less anxiety then. I know the pancreas and adrenal glands are right next to each other. I am now on an insulin pump and working with my endocrinologist to get my number below the upper 200's.

It's been 9 years now that i have been dealing with this, and doctors would rather push meds then find the underlining cause.

So again, is there even the slightest chance that having uncontrolled diabetes effect your mental health?

krhudson responded:
Hi ill, I would say high blood sugars can contribute to not feeling we which could lead to being depressed at times. We have a lot on our plate with this daily. Not sure when we are going high or low sometimes and if you have overall anxiety that can cause the blood sugars to increase do to stress.

I would say you need to get closer to 100 to feel better and it is a tall order but we have to do it. Here is what I do to keep this in better control now. I eat only the good carbs such as veggies and the less spiking fruits. No more white fluffy carbs even though we can adjust are insulin to it. I eat about 3-4 oz of protein such as a morning star sausage in the morning and one wheat toast or a slight oatmeal and slight fruit.Eat slowere metabolising carbs such as baby red potaotoes. These types of food may help you to get down in the low 100s and I really believe it will help with the anxiety to. I know when I am up at 180 or above their is a huge difference.

Also, you have to factor in an hour of excersize at least 5 days a week. It is amazing how that will help lower your numbers and reduce anxiety. I mean real activity. No strolling a block, I mean work your way up on the stair master or treadmill or stationary bike. Ask the Dr. what you can tolerate at this time based on your overall condition.

All of this is a must to avoid long term complications of Diabetes which are devistating. It is all about life style change and you controlling it and it not controlling you.

Your Dr. should have you on a carb counting formula for each 25 carbs how many units of fast acting insulin with meals for example. I do not know which insulins you are on or how much. Your Dr. has to also tell you if you do an hour of excersise how much reduction in your dose of insulin. You have to log your sugars fasting, at meals and 2 hours after a meal and bedtime and give them to the Dr. so things can get adjusted. Make sure if you start to excersise to bring oj with you and test before and after. Sometimes with a great workout your blood sugar can drop 50 points in a half hour or even more so be sure and be at 125 or so before you start and drink a lot of water.

If you do all these things listed and some more from information on web md unless it is a chemical depression/anxiety you are experiencing ( of which you would need different meds), you will feel tons better all the way around, even mentally more alert.

Keep us posted and stay on this site to and lets see if anyone else has ideas. Panic attacks I am not familiar but anxiety I sure am. We all seem to have a little of that in our own way, some more than others, it is stress related.

krhudson

arealgijoe responded:
YES...... many diabetics ahve mood swings, even serious mood swings with BS level to high or low. Also roller coaster BS level can also have an impact.

Maybe your doc is on the right track, getting the DIABETES in good control FIRST. It's god not only to forestall diabetes complications, but may also help with the mental issues as well.

You numbers are NOT good, I hate to ask what your a1c is or was last check. GOOD LUCK!

GOMER (*v*)

GaryTardiff responded:
I do believe that diabetes and depression can be linked. Here's an interesting link from the ADA about just this subject. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/mental-health/depression.html

I have been a long time sufferer of chronic severe depression/anxiety and panic attacks and I know that when my BG numbers are high it is considerably worse. I don't know just how linked the two are and I have no idea of your particular circumstances but I do know that if you are having panic attacks and/or depression you should be seeing someone for that asap! It's nothing to be taken lightly!

Good luck and all best wishes!

flutetooter replied to GaryTardiff's response:
Here's a twist on those panic attacks. In 1969, with four children and rising numbers on the weight scale, I began (for the first time in my life) having anxiety and panic attacks which often started about 10 am for no particular reason. There were no obvious immediate stressors. For years I dealt with low level valium type type pills under a doctor's care. Also psychological care and anything else that seemed to work, such a behavior modification and positive thinking exercises.

To make a long story short, they lessened and now do not happen at all. At a recent doctor's appointment, I recounted that experience and the light bulb went on for both of us ----low blood sugar -- hypoglycemia! My fasting sugars and weight during those years were both up. Two years ago I started getting "fog" attacks and was tested for diabetes. Once I stabilized my my sugar, they don't happen any more.

That is why I now keep my blood sugar in such a narrow range even after a meal by not eating so much at one time and eating more ofter.

illneverbackdown responded:
I do see a psychiatrist for my issues and my last A1C was 8.2 2 days ago

Thanks for everyones advice. :-)

phototaker replied to illneverbackdown's response:
Yes, I'llneverbackdown....as Flutetooter mentioned, keeping your blood sugar numbers down will help a lot. An A1c of 8.2 is way too high right now. See if you can start bringing those numbers down, and you'll feel a lot better, not only in mood, but in helping prevent harmful things happening to your eyes and other organs in your body. I wish you much success in your way to feeling better soon. You can do it!

krhudson replied to illneverbackdown's response:
My last A1C was 8.0 and considered poor control and the Dr. gave me a good warning to get on the stick and do the right things or my kidney is going to get tired. That is a fact of Diabetis. I always had done the right things but the Dr. did not want me to slip or give up and not deal with this.

As a type 1, the ideal A1C is just above 6.5 and 7.0 is decent, 7.50 is only good control but nothing to write home about and up from their is slippage and not so good.

Any help you need from us be sure to stay on here for the support system. I know my next number will be at about 7.0 because of me and the support of this group and site. I am saying 7.0 conservativly, I may be at 6.50 since I really made some positive changes.

krhudson

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.