Skip to content
Metformin alternatives
funnygirl97103 posted:
I've been on Metformin for a year now, and have suffered with persistent diahrea. Originally, the doctors thought it was being caused by my gallbladder which was badly in need of removal. Two weeks out from surgery and I still was suffering from daily diahrea. My doctor finally listened, and had me discontinue my Metformin to see if it would make a difference, and it did, almost immediately! The thing that has me confrused is that she told me Metformin was the "gold standard" in the treatment of Type II, so if I couldn't tolerate it then I would have to use injectable insulin. It appears there are several other oral medications available, so I'm confused as to why I couldn't take one of those.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

retiredgramps responded:
Metformin is the gold standard of oral medications. Lots of people can not tolerate Metformin because of the diahrea but they can tolerate the extended version of Metformin which is
Metformin ER. Do research on this and then ask your doctor about taking this version of Metformin. As you have suggested there are at least 5 or 6 other oral medications that are available for you to take -- do the research on them and then talk with your doctor about them.

phototaker responded:
You poor thing, going through a year of agony with these problems. I'm surprised your doctor didn't know about the side effects of Metformin.

There are people on here who use others medicines. Avandia has been written up as having some problems lately. Be sure to research the drugs you are given. Ask people here. They are very helpful.

Manoj_in_Bangalore responded:
The best alternative to Metformin are raw vegetables. Who says that medication is the only option?

DavidHueben replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
Manoj:

Please...not every Type II diabetic can be treated with raw vegetables.

No one said that medications are the only option, but they are an option for some people. For some people, they are a necessity.

David
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! -Tommy Smothers

mhall6252 replied to DavidHueben's response:
While metformin is the gold standard (and it is dirt-cheap compared to newer drugs), many people have problems with GI side effects. Fortunately for me, I tolerate it very well. There are many other oral drug options that can be effective if they are appropriate for you. Just have a discussion with your doctor.

Manoj - I have been eating lots of raw veggies my whole life because I happen to like them. I'm not overweight yet I've had Type 2 for at least 9 years. Veggies will never replace the medication I need to keep my blood sugars in line. Never.

Manoj_in_Bangalore replied to DavidHueben's response:
David, Yes, I agree that for some people with type 2 diabetes, medicines are a necessity. But what we see happening in many cases is that people make no attempt to wean off the medication, and think that their diabetes can be controlled or reversed only with medication. In my view, it is fine to be on medications for a few months while making all efforts to eliminate the insulin resistance with lifestyle changes, and simultaneously reduce the dependence on medication and eventually wean off.

~ Manoj

Manoj_in_Bangalore replied to mhall6252's response:
mhall6252, I do not know what medications you are on, and why after 9 years you have not been able to improve the status of your type 2 diabetes. Some of my thoughts are: Could your medication be actually increasing the insulin resistance, like statins, sulphonylureas or insulin? Have you ever had your fasting insulin levels checked? Are all your liver function test values in normal range? Is there something in your diet (e.g. animal proteins, low fat) that might be resulting in a lot of insulin secretion, or may not be overcoming the underlying nutritional deficiency?

What I have realized is that the focus should be reducing your fasting insulin levels, whereas your focus is, like many others, on keeping your "blood sugars in line". Perhaps a new perspective may help to improve things for you.

~ Manoj

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
Manoj,

I imagine mhall has regular check ups, blood work, and has pursued other methods with her physician and with educating herself. It sounds like mhall has a regimen working for her. Sometimes medication is what it takes.
~Louise

DavidHueben replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
I don't have to imagine that "mhall" has regular checkups, regular blood tests, and eats correctly. I know her personally, see her occasionally for meals/drinks, and either talk to her or email on a nearly daily basis.

She is a very thorough person, does her "homework", and is very attentive to her health.

David
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! -Tommy Smothers

dlorentz responded:
I was on metformin since 2005 and i suffered diahrea as well as stomach cramps and my doctor recently swiched me to actos 45 mg daily which has gotten rid of the diahrea

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.