Skip to content
Newlly diagnosed with diabetic gastroparesis...
Jesusisgood posted:
Hello everybody, my name is Ed. I went to the ER yesterday again within only a week time due to nausea and vomiting. My family doc dx'd me with diabetis about a month ago... I am 51 years old, happily married and looking forward to learn more about what to eat, when, etc...
It's definitelly a jungle and a challenge out there at the supermarket! LOL...It is also more of a jungle at the restaurants... I feel I have a long learning curve ahead of me...I have an uncle that lost an eye due to glaucoma caused by diabetes, and I am also aware you can loose limbs if not properly taken care of... I am already worried about this stiffness in my right leg and hoping that it is a passing thing... but ya never know... i also have cramps in my feet (my tendons get stiff once in a while, and been worrying thatthey are a part of my diabetic ordeal...

I am glad to find you guys here so I can help myself keep relativelly healthy day by day...
I also hope I can eventually give back what I know I will gain from being here...
You all have a great and healthy day.
God bless you!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome Ed!

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Did you get a firm diagnosis of gastroparesis?

Are you currently on any medications for your diabetes? Do you need to lose weight at this time?

Don't miss Dr. Dansinger's series: Eating for Diabetes Reversal .
~Louise

phototaker responded:
Welcome, Ed! I like your attitude about giving back at some time. Many of us learned from others here, and feel the same way. I'm constantly learning even now.

I remember the first few times in the supermarket being totally overwhelmed. Here are some things to consider in your travels.

Look on the backs of cans, bottles, containers,etc. for the total number of carbs. That includes your sugars. You need to find out from either a diabetes class or a dietician how many carbs and calories, you can have at each meal, depending on if you want to lose weight. You would want to be around 40-45 carbs a meal, until you talk to someone. If the label says 2 servings and you plan to eat the whole thing, then double the carbs.

Try to buy whole grain items...no white bread, pasta, potatoes, or rice. Dreamsfield, Ronzoni, and Eating Right has whole wheat pasta. I would eat less of this and more vegetables, salad fixings, fish, lean meat(white meat chicken),eggs, nuts, lentils, lower sugar fruit, like melons and berries, a small apple, etc. Your emphasis should be on vegetables with a palm size portion of protein.

Another big key is exercise, try for an hour a day of some aerobic type exercise or walking. You can add weight training, too.

Good luck! Others will make suggestions, too.

Ask any questions you want. We'll try to help.

krhudson replied to phototaker's response:
Hi Ed. Stick with us and the Dr. and a Dietitian and this will be a breeze for you. Not sure if you are Type 1 or 2 Diabetic but the same diet principals apply and can vary slightly depending on any other health issues the person has.

Be sure to clear anything you eat with the Dr. regarding the Gastroparesis.

Here is what I do. Everyone has seen this a thousand times and I am beating the drum about it because it is working for me for nutritian, keeping my blood sugars in balance throughout the day, and helping me to loose weight.

My Dr. has told me over and over to stay away from bad carbs. Those bad ones would be anything fluffy and white such as white rice, bread, pasta, cakes, all types of potatoes.

Stay on fresh foods and not processed foods.

Eat only good carbs with lean protein about 4-5oz of protein per meal.

l split my smaller dinner plate 3 ways. 1/3 would be the lean protein, 1/3 would be mixed veggies that I microwave. I also include a couple of baby red potatoes in with the veggies for a slower metabolising potato to work nicely with the protein in the body. The last 1/3 is fruit in moderation, cantalope or honeydew a couple of strawberries. No bananas or peaches unless you are low on potassium and you have counted the banana in the plan with a Dr. or Dietitian.

Also, have all the green salad you want with your meals. For snacks, consider half an apple with cheese or a half a low sugar yoplaite yogart.

For breakfast if you have a hard time thinking of what protein to have, consider Morning Star veggie Sausage. I learned more about that choice on here. I always wondered what else I could do to for protein at breakfast. You can get by with a piece of wheat toast in the morning or a very small to medium size oatmeal or non sweetened cereal. That should be really the only bad carbs for the day if you can leave it at that.

Remember to get an hour of exercise a day based on what the Dr. says your body can tolerate.

Test your blood sugars often especially fasting and 2 hours after a meal to see how even the good carbs metabolized since some fruits and veggies spike a touch more than others.

Log your tests, times of day and date. Indicate somewhere whether you had exercise that day and review with the Dr. maintaining blood sugar control is a must to avoid long term compications. Learn as much as possible through as many outlets as possible from the clinic or practice you go to or the local hospital in the area.

Of course, check in here anytime and let us know how you are doing.

For optimum kidney care and blood pressure no table salt and drink a lot of water. This will help avoiding kidney stones which is common in Diabetics. I drink 5 /16 oz. Aquafina per day to flush the kidney(s).

krhudson

An_202631 replied to krhudson's response:
WAIT WAIT WAIT - Gastroparesis? And eat the things listed? I was diagnosed w/Gastroparesis this spring, and then with Type I rather than the Type II diagnosis I was given 15 years ago. The incorrect diagnosis caused the gastroparesis. My stomach is a wreck. I suffered for years before this was figured out.

I was told very limited fiber, no fresh fruit or vegetables, no wheat bread (only white), no fresh apples, no oatmeal, etc. etc. etc.

Have I been given the wrong diet? It has been very difficult for me to figure out what to eat, and this post has me badly confused.

HELP

cookiedog responded:
I was diagnosed with gastroparesis seven years ago.

I see a gastroenterologist at the medical school where my transplant clinic is located.

My diet is not as restricted as yours. I may not eat raw fibrous veggies such as broccoli. I also try to avoid the bran types of fiber.

I am to try to eat small meals more frequently which works out okay with my diabetes.

I have no idea if there is one univeral diet for those of us with gastroparesis or not.

Have you met with a nutritionist? My CDE/nutritiontist went over the food challenges of gastro. very carefully with me.

mrscora01 replied to An_202631's response:
I would definitely follow the advice of the doc (and possible gastroenterologist if you are seeing one - I highly recommend it). What many folks don't realize (most especially those who don't have severe gastro the way I did - mine was induced by meds in part) is that meal choices are often very limited depending on how exactly your stomach is working. I ended up requiring highly concentrated (low bulk) foods because my digestion was so poor, I wasn't able to absorb nutrients because of the interference of the fiber. I was basically starving.

Talk to your doc(s) about meds for this as well as the appropriate diet and hydration measures. I became quite dehydrated because I just couldn't get enough in.

I found that pumping helped tremendously because often it would take 5 or 6 hours for my stomach to empty and the glucose to hit my system. The delayed bolus worked wonders.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

An_202632 replied to cookiedog's response:
Thanks for replying. I am seeing a nutritionist ongoing since the diagnosis was recent. I take 3 injections humolog a day - one before each meal - and lantus at night, and haven't found out how to reconcile that with frequent small meals.

Your point about whether there is one universal diet for gastroparesis is well taken. I'm just having so much trouble understanding the nuances of Type I/gastroparesis and my wretched stomach. I read whatever I can find but have never known that some people can still eat regular, tasty food instead of the overcooked stuff being forced on me.

An_202633 replied to mrscora01's response:
Thank you for the advice. I am beginning to understand that all sufferers aren't suffering at the same level.

This has all been hard to "get my brain wrapped around" literally. It is completely counter-intuitive to what one should do.

From all I see you have been through, your situation has been quite intense. May I ask about the results of the pancreas transplant?

krhudson replied to An_202631's response:
Hi Anon, In the line right below the first paragraph I mentioned to clear all items with the Dr. about the Gastroparesis and also, your post mentioned your Dr. just diagnosed you with Diabetes a month ago which is why I focused on the Diabetic diet and mentioned to clear those foods with the Dr. Sorry, I did not know about the wrong diagnosis 15 years ago of type 1 instead of type 2 until you just posted that part.

Delete everything I said and we can see what others mention.

kr

krhudson replied to krhudson's response:
Anon, oops, I meant from diagnosis of 15 years ago of type 2 which instead is type 1. Sorry for the wrong diagnosis. You will get the right answers.

kr

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to An_202632's response:
My mother still has a diagnosis of diabetic gastroparesis, but can eat nearly everything without it flaring, now that we have her taking her meds regularly, she has lost weight and she is getting more fiber in her diet.

At the beginning it gave her so many problems she would eat poorly, end up needing laxatives/enemas for impacted stools and then it would go to the other extreme with horrible, uncontrolled diarrhea. That, of course, would lead to bad food choices and more sick days all around.

Taking Reglan 30-40 minutes BEFORE the meal (not with or after or when she felt like it) made a huge difference. Small, small meals-4-6 a day instead of three. No huge meals ever. High fat foods are a no never. Also, things like applesauce and yogurt with fiber rather than an apple or whole grain bread with seeds, work better for my mother.
~Louise

An_202634 replied to krhudson's response:
Just curious....15 yrs misdiagnosed as a Type II and now a Type I. Were you on insulin for those 15 yrs???

Denial741974 responded:
Hi Ed welcome, I'm 35 and also my left leg swells up stiff up and my feet hurt at night at bed time. my MD Dr tell it shoes but I don't think that's the case any more way get new sneakers from foot Dr with insurance I been living with left leg your years sence 10th grade on cross county team leg never been same and feet and hands hurt at night now but only advise I can give try work hard with your Diabeades and don't give up.eat one meal at time.small you will learned lot from this fourm see I have learning disabilty & mental issues it long time get real you can do it 2. for last week and half I'm try very hard control my Diabetes but it's maybe 2 late for me but keep on fighting don't get worst on me. keep learning.Den

mrscora01 replied to An_202633's response:
Hi again Anon. I had the pancreas transplant a bit over 2 years ago. My a1c is 5.1% and I have been insulin free since April 27th 2008. While in most cases the best they can hope for is to halt the progression of complications (they only do the transplant in T1s with other complications like kidney failure) I have had some reversal. My gastroparesis is better and my resting heartrate is lower without the aid of a beta blocker (I had autonomic neuropathy). Life is good.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.