Skip to content
NEW TO INSULIN
freddy2222 posted:
Hi - I am a 46 yr old woman who has struggled with Type 2 diabetes for 10 years. I am now having a few issues since I have not been able to control it and am faced with starting insulin. I am afraid....I don't know why but it scares me. It seems that when I am really starting to watch what I am eating and go for weeks with watching carbs - keep checking my sugar and I still can't get it below 250. I don't know what to do. I am going to start with my insulin after I meet with my endocronologist and was wondering if anyone has had this problem and then they found out after they started on insulin if they had good results? Sorry to ramble but this is scary for me. Thanks to all who can help me.

auriga1 responded:
Welcome freddy.

I know you are afraid. Maybe because it's of the unknown.

I was diagnosed four years ago in September. I did not think I would fall "victim." That's how I used to look at it. Not anymore.

I am one of those Type 2's that doesn't fit in the "box." Always slim, ate right and always active.

My sugars were extremely high at diagnosis and the doctors started me immediately on insulin. Along with taking insulin, you also have to watch your carb intake as you are doing now.

Your protocol is going to be different from anyone else's. Everyone responds differently to foods and physical activity, along with the insulin.

You don't say if you are at normal weight or not, or if you are active on a daily basis. Weight and inactivity are a great contributor to high blood sugars.

I take two different insulins to control my blood sugar. One is Lantus, a 24-hr. basal insulin. My body reacts to carbs in such a way that my BS shoots skyhigh with any ingestion of carbs. Humalog, a rapid-acting insulin taken with meals, was also added. This helps with the carb intake at any given meal.

When you see your doctor, ask about an amount of carbs to be eaten at any given meal. As I said, everyone is different. My dietician gave me 35-45 carbs per meal, with 15 grams between meals for a snack, if desired. If your doctor can't help you on that one, ask him for a referral to a dietician if you haven't seen one prior to this.

The injections are nothing to be frightened about. The needle is extraordinarily small and fine. The insulin has been a lifesaver for me. My first A1C was 13.2 and it's down to 6.0. This was accomplished by diet, exercise and the insulin. In the beginning, it was a lot to wrap my head around. I know where you are coming from.

Hopefully, your doctor can help you and allay your fears. Stay positive. Let us know how you are doing. Since you have been diabetic for ten years, I believe you know quite a bit about this disease. Insulin is not a punishment for you doing something wrong. It works wonders in keeping your blood sugars within the normal range.

Good luck with your doctor appointment.

cookiedog responded:
I was able to totally control my diabetes with diet and exercise for five years. I was then able to control it with oral meds, diet and exercise for another five years.

Since May I have had to use insulin. I must keep my A1c below a certain point to stay on an organ transplant list. I started creeping above the point

My transplant doctor sent me to a new endocrinologist who started me on long acting insulin and no oral meds.

I am amazed. My A1c last month was the first time I have been able to get below 6 in years. I do not find it hard to use. I continue to practice good diet and exercise habits. I have had to work hard to learn how to keep from going low after exercise,etc.

I am not advocating insulin for everything and there are folks here who think those of us with Type 11 who use insulin are inferior and weak. I can only say I have the best control I have had in years and I feel much, much better since I no longer have to battle the symptoms of highs.

I was also scared to start in insulin. I know how you feel. But at least give it a try. Get lots of information from your endocrinologist and test frequently. I promise it will be okay.

auriga1 replied to cookiedog's response:
Cookiedog, thanks for that. I failed to mention, too, how much better I felt once I started taking insulin. Couldn't imagine where all the fatigue was coming from. I didn't have the "classic" symptoms like so many experience with the excessive thirst and urination. Only that all-consuming fatigue from high numbers.

It's really amazing at how I am totally in control these days using the insulin along with the diet and exercise.

krhudson replied to auriga1's response:
Auriga, I guess I did not know the difference, I thought it was normal to be so tired with Diabetes but now that things are great with my latest A1C and diet and exercise I have never felt so up with energy. Being in excellent control makes the difference. Very good control is ok but still not as great as excellent control. I have always been on the insulin but even then if you are not in near excellent control the fatigue sure happens.

kr

auriga1 replied to krhudson's response:
You are so right, kr. I was totally out of control during the first year right after diagnosis. This was when the doctor, dietician and myself were trying to get the dosages of insulin and the amount of carbs right.

It's wonderful to have energy once again. The only time I get tired these days is when I try to function on three hours of sleep. LOL. And I called it "function."

misipimom responded:
Are you drinking "diet" soft drinks after or during your meal? Nutrisweet, Splenda etc., spike your sugar. You may be getting a false reading because of these ingredients. My mother would share her concern over her "high" sugar readings. She drank "diet" sodas a lot, but the A1C proved they were fine.

If you use these products, stop for a while. Try Truvia or some other form of Stevia. They do not spike your sugars.

It worked for me.

laura2gemini2 replied to misipimom's response:
Fake sugars tend not to spike most people's sugars because they contain no carbs or calories. Caffeine though can spike sugars because it makes your body "stressed".

krhudson replied to laura2gemini2's response:
very true, diet cokes are not the greatest for the kidneys but many diabetics use it because they are calorie free, carb free which means sugar free. I tend to stay away from those now. Coffee is my weakness and can cause the gitters unless drinking it in moderation. Technically though I do not think it raises blood sugars when it is black coffee unless like you said someones body is stressing terribly from it with other things on top of that! Stress when used properly is a good thing, stressing out is not a good thing and will raise blood sugars. :-)

krhudson

RealityBytes replied to misipimom's response:
I have not eaten a single meal without Nutrasweet or Splenda in close to 30 years. My blood sugar readings are often lower 2 hours after a meal than they were before the meal, generally 90 to 130,

phototaker replied to misipimom's response:
I didn't find spikes from drinking Diet Coke, BUT I did find CRAVINGS and wanting to eat more after drinking them. Is that a possibility with your mom's higher numbers? Maybe she wasn't telling you what she was drinking with or after the diet drinks.

amanda2581 replied to phototaker's response:
I have also noticed when I drink diet soda I stay hungry,But now I drink tea and I have no craveings.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.