Skip to content
question
Aurora1000 posted:
I am 42 year old female. I was diagosed with Type 2 diabetes about 14 years ago with my first pregnancy. I have been able to keep my blood sugars under control with medication. I recently joined a gym and have been able to lose some weight. My question is for maybe the past 6 months I have noticed that Iam somewhat forgetfullness and kind of scattered brain a little. Im just curious if anybody else experiences this and if its something I should mention to my doctor.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

krhudson responded:
I would mention it to the Dr. Sometimes when blood sugars go up or down some scattered things happen. I know you your blood sugars are in control as you mentioned but are you testing before and after the workout? I find myself getting scattered at about 65-70 blood sugar and once I get the juice the concentration is sharp again. Also, when your at the grocery store see if near the pharmacy they have a blood pressure machine and make sure that is ok.

Mention this to the Dr. he/she may have to adjust your meds since you have now been working weight off at the gym. Take a couple weeks worth of blood sugar readings with you in order to see any high or low drops at any particular time of day or bedtime and during the night.

Let us know. Your question is good. I sometimes have the same problem.

krhudson

Aurora1000 replied to krhudson's response:
Great advice. I havent taken my sugar readings before and after, that might help. However, I have noticed that my sugar levels tend to go really low at night too. I may have to have my meds adjusted. I will definitely bring that up to my doctor on my next visit. Thanks for your great input!

Manoj_in_Bangalore responded:
What are the medicines that you take?

The symptoms you describe can occur if you take statins, which are drugs to lower cholesterol levels. Please be informed, that statins have severe side effects and its has not yet been conclusively proven that statins offer any health benefits at all. You can read more about the side effects of statins at this site: http://www.spacedoc.net/

DavidHueben responded:
I have taken statin medications for over 15 years. I am 62 years old and have no signs of forgetfulness or any other side effects.

The statin medications I have taken over the last 15 years include Pravachol, Lipitor, and Simvastatin (a Zocor generic). They have worked well to keep my lipid levels in excellent control, in conjunction with improved nutrition and more exercise.

If you do not take statins, the point is moot.

David
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! -Tommy Smothers

rubystar2 replied to DavidHueben's response:
Greatly reducing animal proteins and adding lots of plant based foods to a diet will keep lipid levels in excellent control, too, without the need for statins. Sometimes, if high cholesterol is not genetic, it's as if one is taking medication to 'protect' one from the foods eaten.
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks

phototaker replied to rubystar2's response:
Rubystar, I tried that years ago, going more natural, less animal proteins, and my cholesterol numbers were still higher. Mine is more genetic, although I agree that sometimes medication (like in diabetes)gives you a false protective feeling. Each person is different, as you would agree.

amanda2581 replied to rubystar2's response:
I eat a lot of eggs and my cholesterol is fine but she still wants me on lipitor,Told me diabetics and high blood pressure patients are recomended to take these basically the rest of their life.I did not get this, slipper

misipimom replied to amanda2581's response:
I and my doctor have had may a discussion about taking drugs for "prevention". I personally don't agree and do not take meds for cholesterol. Plus, my liver cannot tolerate even the mildest brand. I feel the less chemicals in the body, the better.

phototaker replied to misipimom's response:
If you're not taking statins now, I wouldn't, unless your numbers are high for you LDL and Triglicerides. Those are the bad guys.
Your HDL numbers should be higher. My doctors have believed in statins, but I sometimes question them. I'm taking a high statin now. I try to use Eggbeaters, Slipper, but I know many people who can eat eggs with no problems. I do eat eggs, too, but not every morning like I used to. I've started eating oatmeal in the morning now.

xring replied to misipimom's response:
Ya got that right.

krhudson replied to Aurora1000's response:
For sure I bet that you will need an ajustment for the lows at night. When that happens to me I am up 3 times a night, not in reactions but just that I feel low and when I check, it is 70 sometimes so I have 1/2 yogurt and go back to bed. I have since, lowered my long acting insulin and increased the snack at bedtime and I could still probably keep reducing my 24 hour insulin since I have lost almost 20 pounds now.

Good luck and carry juice to the gym because it is hard to tell the difference between a low blood sugar and sweat from a vigorous work out. I am on insulin, it may not go like that for you if your on oral meds since that plan already has the exercise and food matching for not as drastic of a drop during exercise.

krhudson

Aurora1000 replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
I only take two types of oral diabetic medication. Fortunately, I do not have high blood pressure as of now. However, I will be going to my doctor soon and will be asking about the forgetfullness I've been experiencing. I hope my meds will be adjusted since I have lost some weight. Thanks so much for your input.

Aurora1000 replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
Im sorry I also forgot to say I do not have high cholesterol so Im currently not taking any statins either.

Aurora1000 replied to misipimom's response:
I agree, I remember when I was first diagnosed with type II diabetes, I was 28 years old after having my two babies, and within one year of getting started on oral meds, my doctor wanted to start me on preventive heart and high cholesterol meds. I was very opposed to that and told him no way. I hope I did the right thing, but I just couldnt handle the thought of taking diabetic, heart and high cholesterol meds at such young age...

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.