Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ALBUMIN/CREATININE RATIO, UR
jdfrost posted:
I recently had blood and urine tests due to my having Type I Diabetes. The test ALBUMIN/CREATININE RATIO, UR came back at 37.9. Do I run the risk of kidney failure due to this number? And, is there a way to help bring this number back under 29 as my doctors states? I have a doctor's appt this coming Tuesday but wanted to get more info beforehand. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

dgarner11 responded:
yes a high microalbumin ratio can be an indicator of early kidney damage. Mine was also high a few years back. My endo started me on an ACE inhibitor and my microalbumin has been normal ever since. This of course, was coupled with me testing 10+ times a day and intensive insulin therapy. the key is good control, and it is possible to reverse damage as long as it is not too progressed. The ACE inhibitor has protective qualities for the kidneys.

jdfrost responded:
Thanks for the info. My doctor has mentioned ACE inhibitors to me before - I'll bring this up with him tomorrow. Thanks again.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.