Steroid induced diabetes
MPeeler posted:
I need a quick "laymans" definition of "steroid (induced) diabetes.

krhudson responded:
All I know is the steroid use in a person that is already diagnosed as Diabetic type 1 or 2 could result in increased blood sugars more than what they are which maybe high numbers or controlled numbers by a good Diabetic Diet and exercise.
Not sure if Steriod use in general can cause Diabetes which is what induced means. Steriod induced means Diabetes caused by use of steroid.

Lets see if someone else has ever heard that use of Steroid can cause Diabetes in a person that is already healthy to begin with.

Are you on Steroids and just been diagnosed with Diabetes by a Dr. and the Dr. is mentioning the Diabetes was caused or induced by the steriod use?

Elaborate if you would.

krhudson

MrsCora01 responded:
Diabetes can be induced by transplant drugs, which include prednisone. So it can happen. It depends on both the dose you are on and your susceptibility to diabetes in the first place. It does not cause type 1, but can significantly increase insulin resistance.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

krhudson replied to MrsCora01's response:
good info Mrs. Cora. I knew you would have good insite to this topic :-)

kr

cookiedog replied to krhudson's response:
Almost all of us who are taking high dose steroid due to transplant issues have steroid induced diabetes.

I was started at 60 mg. of diabetes a day. I was not diabetic.

I had to go back to the doctor's office on the tenth day and have a fasting glucose test. I don't remember the number but it was sky high. I had to have the test again in ten more days and it was still sky high.

I was immediately sent to an endocrinologist at the medical school. He explained steroid induced diabetes to me.

He also said if folks who have short term steroid use do not develop it and some folks who use it long term actually return to a prediabetes state when they eventually taper off prednisone.

I have now been on prednisone ten years. I don't ever think much about how it was steroid induced. For me, with my poor health habits and weight issues, I would have developed diabetes sooner or later with or without the Pred.

lol9mom replied to cookiedog's response:
I am also looking for info...i am 51 years old and was diagnosed with MS at 25. After my husband left i went on medicare and medicade, so for every flare I had I was given prednisone...it's the cheapest treatment...I have had a fasting glucose in the 130's for over 20 years...I was diagnosed 18 months ago with prediabetes and 6 months ago with type 2 diabetes. I still have to take steroids for my lungs and for any infections....will this make the diabetes worse? I can't lose weight even though I only eat 1000 calories a day and don't really want food. What do I do?

krhudson replied to lol9mom's response:
I won't answer for Cookiedog, she will reply if she sees the post.

Just wondering if an Endocrine Dr. diagnosed the type 2
6 months ago and the pre diabetes before that? If not, I am sure that the Primary care knows what he/she is doing.

If you have not started Endrocrinologist visits you many want to start since you are on now on Steroids for your lungs and for any infections.

Each case is different as to how the Diabetes will act during difficult times. It is daily management and the Endocrinologist will most likely accept faxed logs of blood sugars at certain times of the day that he/she would want to review as you see to your diet of the correct carbs and lean protein.

The answer would remain to be seen as to whether this situation will make your Diabetes. I do know that infections are one of the culprits that also cause raised blood sugars in many people with Diabetes. When infection (s) are not present it sure should help.

Any idea if you will ever go off Steroids?

krhudson

krhudson replied to krhudson's response:
Oops, correction, last longer paragraph second line should read make your Diabetes worse, not just make your Diabetes.

krhudson